Author Topic: Donald Trump Prepares for White House Move, but His Tower May Still Beckon  (Read 1359 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's the usual puff piece filler for the most part. Posting because of something interesting included:

President-elect Donald J. Trump won the White House with an outsider’s populist promise to “drain the swamp” of Washington.

Now, as he prepares to assume the presidency, an open question remains about the capital he repeatedly spurned: Just how much is he willing to become a part of it?

Mr. Trump, a homebody who often flew several hours late at night during the campaign so he could wake up in his own bed in Trump Tower, is talking with his advisers about how many nights a week he will spend in the White House. He has told them he would like to do what he is used to, which is spending time in New York when he can.

The future first lady, Melania Trump, expects to move to Washington. But the couple’s 10-year-old son, Barron, is midway through a school year in New York, and it is unclear when the move would happen.

The questions reflect what Mr. Trump’s advisers described as the president-elect’s coming to grips with the fact that his life is about to change radically. They say that Mr. Trump, who was shocked when he won the election, might spend most of the week in Washington, much like members of Congress, and return to Trump Tower or his golf course in Bedminster, N.J., or his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach on weekends.

-snip-

Returning home to Trump Tower from the White House may not be Mr. Trump’s only embrace of the familiar. His aides say he has also expressed interest in continuing to hold the large rallies that were a staple of his candidacy. He likes the instant gratification and adulation that the cheering crowds provide, and his aides are discussing how they might accommodate his demand.

“I think Trump has discovered that these rallies are tremendous opportunities for him to get his message out,” said Christopher Ruddy, chief executive of Newsmax Media, a conservative website. “It’s actually sort of old-fashioned, that you want to actually meet people and press the flesh with him.”

Read the rest here: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-president.html

Interesting. Anyone who wishes to draw the inevitable conclusion about another leader who loved rallies can take it elsewhere. I'm more interested in precedent and the possible mechanics of this idea.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Donald Trump Prepares for White House Move, but His Tower May Still Beckon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
I fully expect Donald Trump to adopt Reagan's penchant for periodically staying at his "Western White House".

With Trump....it could be Manhattan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_del_Cielo
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 10:21:13 pm »
I fully expect Donald Trump to adopt Reagan's penchant for periodically staying at his "Western White House".

With Trump....it could be Manhattan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_del_Cielo

It's just not the same these days.  It costs so much for a President to move around in dollars and in planning.

The Obama's trips to Hawaii cost more than 4 million each.  George Bush's retreats to his ranch were inexpensive because security requirements were low.

Trump lives in Manhattan.  He can no longer jump on his jet, slip into a limo and be home.  He has to fly on Air Force One.  It costs about $100,000 per hour to fly.  The airport will have to be shut down.  Streets in Manhattan will have to be closed  (some for the duration of his visit).  Every single soul in Trump Tower will have to be vetted.  The building will have to be modified to properly provide security.  Housing will have to be provided for Secret Service and White House staff.  (No doubt the taxpayers will get to pay for those staff members to be housed at Trump Tower.)

Repeat all of the above for each of his homes.  Trump may actually be able to turn travel as a President into a paying proposition.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:21:42 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:58:30 pm »
It's just not the same these days.  It costs so much for a President to move around in dollars and in planning.

The Obama's trips to Hawaii cost more than 4 million each.  George Bush's retreats to his ranch were inexpensive because security requirements were low.

Trump lives in Manhattan.  He can no longer jump on his jet, slip into a limo and be home.  He has to fly on Air Force One.  It costs about $100,000 per hour to fly.  The airport will have to be shut down.  Streets in Manhattan will have to be closed  (some for the duration of his visit).  Every single soul in Trump Tower will have to be vetted.  The building will have to be modified to properly provide security.  Housing will have to be provided for Secret Service and White House staff.  (No doubt the taxpayers will get to pay for those staff members to be housed at Trump Tower.)

Repeat all of the above for each of his homes.  Trump may actually be able to turn travel as a President into a paying proposition.

There are far more costs involved than people realize. all the SecServ, the cars, the equipment...all of that has to move with the President. Air Force 1 is probably the least of the costs. Hundreds of people, Their hotels, several floors worth, booked in weeks long blocks for security sweeps and high end hotels at that.

As President, I don't know that the Secret Service would sign off on him staying at home because of the security issues involved (see hotel stays alone. Trump would have to evict several floors of occupants.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:01:10 am »

If he wants to fly to New York every week I think he should pay for it himself. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 01:28:24 am »
If he wants to fly to New York every week I think he should pay for it himself.

This should be interesting. Perhaps Melania and Baron won't be moving into the White House...somehow I just can't see the Trump family giving up their lavish lifestyle.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
From a technical standpoint it's doable. Trump lives at the top of Trump tower. It has a helipad which is rated for choppers the mass of Marine One. He could commute that way, I guess, with minimal disruption to traffic. Be expensive to set up the communication facilities a president requires though.   :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:39:47 am »
Their son Baron has his own floor in Trump Tower! They live more like royalty now.  In looking at the pics of the Trump's current home, the White House is definitely going to be a huge step down ... of course Melania could always redecorate ... I'm not so sure though, that poor Baron would be able to have his own floor.  They also have other properties such as Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach ... is the president required by law to reside in the White House??

http://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

http://www.jeffrealty.com/blog/2011/03/exclusive-never-before-seen-photos-of-mar-a-lago-donald-trumps-private-club-in-palm-beach-florida/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »
Their son Baron has his own floor in Trump Tower! They live more like royalty now.  In looking at the pics of the Trump's current home, the White House is definitely going to be a huge step down ... of course Melania could always redecorate ... I'm not so sure though, that poor Baron would be able to have his own floor.  They also have other properties such as Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach ... is the president required by law to reside in the White House??

http://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

http://www.jeffrealty.com/blog/2011/03/exclusive-never-before-seen-photos-of-mar-a-lago-donald-trumps-private-club-in-palm-beach-florida/

That last link notes that Trump has been fighting with officials because he doesn't want planes taking off and landing at Palm Beach International flying over his property.  The President in residence could be the solution.  (We need a tongue-in-cheek emoji).
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »
From a technical standpoint it's doable. Trump lives at the top of Trump tower. It has a helipad which is rated for choppers the mass of Marine One. He could commute that way, I guess, with minimal disruption to traffic. Be expensive to set up the communication facilities a president requires though.   :shrug:

You realize that since choppers are such a big fat target they fly multiples in order to disguise Marine One.  Three are in the air, one on the ground and then they mix it up so to make it difficult for someone to know which one carries the President.  All the tall buildings make a helipad a security nightmare.  While this method would cause less inconvenience for those on the streets it would present a whole new set of problems for the SS, the residents in surrounding buildings and normal air traffic.