Author Topic: Gary Johnson helped Hillary. Not by enough, but he did.  (Read 656 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gary Johnson helped Hillary. Not by enough, but he did.
« on: November 12, 2016, 04:04:25 pm »
Gary Johnson helped Hillary. Not by enough, but he did.

By Sasha Volokh November 11 at 3:46 PM

Now that the election is done, the most productive thing to do is to ask what to do next. I’m all in favor of that. (One possibility would be to give money to Foster Campbell, the Democratic Senate candidate in a runoff in Louisiana. If he won, the Senate would be 51-49.) However, there are still interesting things to say about the election, and one of them relates to Gary Johnson’s libertarian candidacy.

Since the election, various people have been pushing a narrative that Gary Johnson’s candidacy hurt Hillary and helped Trump get elected. This is consistent with the narrative that some were pushing before the election to the effect that Gary Johnson’s candidacy was bad for Hillary. This doesn’t seem to have been true then, and it isn’t true now. Gary Johnson’s candidacy helped Hillary; Democrats’ efforts to delegitimize Johnson hurt Hillary; and on Election Day, if Gary Johnson hadn’t been in the race, Trump would have won by more.

Read More At: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/11/11/gary-johnson-helped-hillary-not-by-enough-but-he-did/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Gary Johnson helped Hillary. Not by enough, but he did.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »
Pretty thin gruel to prove a theory, basing it on poll projections and exit polls.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 04:25:04 pm »
and on Election Day, if Gary Johnson hadn’t been in the race Republicans had put a more palatable candidate, Trump Republicans would have won by more.

Fixed it.

The problem wasn't Johnson being in the race. The problem was that the candidate who the GOP chose to nominate drove some otherwise GOP voters to vote for Johnson.

Trump won anyways, but let's not try and turn Johnson into a spoiler. It's a chili cooking competition, and if your chili isn't getting eaten, it's not because there is a spoiler in the race, it's because your chili simply isn't preferred by as many people as necessary to win.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:29 pm »
I think that Kaine hurt Hillary and Pence helped Trump.

The VP debate IMHO was the turning point, because Trump indeed was on the ropes after the tapes came out.   But I think when people saw Kaine's disastrous performance in the debate and realized he was a heartbeat away from the Presidency,  the momentum swung back in favor of Trump-Pence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:47:38 pm »
I think that Kaine hurt Hillary and Pence helped Trump.

The VP debate IMHO was the turning point, because Trump indeed was on the ropes after the tapes came out.   But I think when people saw Kaine's disastrous performance in the debate and realized he was a heartbeat away from the Presidency,  the momentum swung back in favor of Trump-Pence.

"What difference does it make?"

Johnson/Weld offered mostly liberal positions. How any so-called "conservatives" on THIS site to go for him, is bat shit crazy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 04:59:47 pm »
"What difference does it make?"

Johnson/Weld offered mostly liberal positions. How any so-called "conservatives" on THIS site to go for him, is bat shit crazy.

I didn't, I voted for McMullin.

Better put me on a list, and figure out who I am on Facebook.
The Republic is lost.