Author Topic: 500,000 People Sign Petition Asking Electoral College to Pick Clinton as President Instead of Trump  (Read 1285 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: PEOPLE POLITICS

URL: http://people.com/politics/electoral-college-petition-to-make-clinton-president/

By Lindsay Kimble

A petition on Change.org calling for the Electoral College to elect Hillary Clinton as President has earned over half of the signatures needed for it to be sent to the governing body.

The petition, launched on Wednesday after Donald Trump was elected President, calls for the Electoral College to “ignore their states’ votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton.”

Although Trump won over the 270 necessary electoral votes to secure the Presidency, Clinton narrowly earned the nation’s popular vote.

The Electoral College – which was first introduced in 1804 – is comprised of 538 electors. Each state’s number of electors is decided by its number of members in Congress, which is dependent on the state’s population. So, when American citizens cast their ballots, they aren’t directly voting for president – they’re voting for electors. This year, Trump took 306, to Clinton’s 232.

Most states use a “winner-take-all” system when it comes to electoral votes, although there is no Constitutional provision or federal law that requires electors to vote a certain way. Twenty-six states and Washington, D.C., do, however, “bind” their electors to vote for the promised candidate on Dec. 19 – in this case, Trump. In many cases, “faithless electors” are forced to pay a fine if they vote against the popular choice.

Maine and Nebraska follow a different method, called the congressional district method, which allots two electoral votes to the popular vote winner, and additional votes for each congressional district won by the candidates.

Faithless electors have not ever reversed the presidency.

The Change.org petition, which was at over 500,000 signatures on Thursday afternoon, said that Clinton supporters would be happy to pay any fees accrued by those who choose to be faithless electors.

“Mr. Trump is unfit to serve,” the petition claimed. “His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic. Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Thanks for the article SirLinksALot but I'm an US reader.  :silly:

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. Hard hitting political article from People claiming a fraction of one percent of the people who voted should override an election.....with an online petition.

Offline Norm Lenhart

SOURCE: PEOPLE POLITICS

Pretty sure 55,000,000 or so just signed a petition at ballot.box so it's over boys. Go home.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Wow. Hard hitting political article from People claiming a fraction of one percent of the people who voted should override an election.....with an online petition.

If you can tweet in your vote I think an online petition should over ride it.

wut?  You can't tweet in your vote for President?

Then what will happen to my tweet-vote on the 28th?

Offline Vulcan

POSTED 12:21 PM, NOVEMBER 10, 2016, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE, UPDATED AT 02:17PM, NOVEMBER 10, 2016

Last-ditch push underway for Clinton to become president instead of Trump

WASHINGTON -- Democrats have been bemoaning a Donald Trump presidency for two days after he beat Hillary Clinton on Tuesday night.

Many have taken to social media and to streets across the country to voice their displeasure after the real estate mogul secured enough electoral votes to become president-elect.

But there is a last incredibly long shot that could still get Clinton into the White House on Jan. 20 -- a twist in the Electoral College.

Though Clinton led the popular vote by about 280,000 on Thursday morning, Trump has won the minimum of 270 electoral votes necessary to be elected president. As of late Wednesday, he had 290 to Clinton’s 228.

According to the Constitution, electors will meet in their respective state capitals on Dec. 19. In most cases, whoever wins the popular vote gains all of that state's electoral votes.

The number of electoral votes per state is determined by the number of congressional districts plus one for each senator -- a total of 538.

But there is nothing in the Constitution that would prevent any of the electors from refusing to support the candidate who won their state. Or from abstaining. They are dubbed a "faithless elector," though 29 states ban the practice.

more here

Offline Frank Cannon

If you can tweet in your vote I think an online petition should over ride it.

wut?  You can't tweet in your vote for President?

Then what will happen to my tweet-vote on the 28th?

Tweet voting. People magazine for political news. Where have I seen this before.....

Offline bolobaby

Sorry for the profanity, but...

bleep!ng idiots.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline NavyCanDo

My sisters leftist grandson posted the petition on Facebook.  Just one of the 500,000 idiots who slept in high school civics class.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

Sorry for the profanity, but...

bleep!ng idiots.

If you need a conduit for your foul language, I'm your man. Just PM me the thread address and what you want me to go off on and it's done.....cheap.

Wingnut

If you need a conduit for your foul language, I'm your man. Just PM me the thread address and what you want me to go off on and it's done.....cheap.

If you're havin' trouble with the high school head
Got a lady and you want her gone
Concrete shoes, cyanide, TNT
Pick up the phone, Franks always home
Call him any time
Just ring 8765309
He lead a life of crime
Dirty deeds done cheap!

Offline rodamala

36-24-36

DONE DIRT CHEAP!

Offline GAJohnnie

This could be funny to watch. Clinton is only about 400,000 votes ahead and not all the votes are counted yet. Enough of the votes are counted to know Trump won the electoral college, not enough to know who won the most votes. It will probably be Clinton but that is not certain yet.