Author Topic: What is Trump's appeal?  (Read 20505 times)

StrangerInAStrangeLand

What is Trump's appeal?
« on: November 11, 2016, 12:31:38 am »
I must admit - I don't understand Trump's appeal. I'm a liberal, in some sense - and I'd identify socially with classical libertarians. Economically I'm a supporter of demand side economics in the sense that Ayn Rand and Robert Heinlein espouse. So far I haven't been able to find any category or policy on which I align with Trump. Then again, I haven't been able to find any real depth on what Trump's policies are, so maybe I'm just missing something. Does anyone have any good references for his policy details, or could you explain some of the policies that influenced you to vote for him?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: What is Trump's appeal?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:12 am »
 :shrug:

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:06 am »
That's not a winning endorsement. :)

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:32 am »
 :shrug:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 12:34:01 am »
That's why I didn't vote for him.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:43 am »
I must admit - I don't understand Trump's appeal. I'm a liberal, in some sense - and I'd identify socially with classical libertarians. Economically I'm a supporter of demand side economics in the sense that Ayn Rand and Robert Heinlein espouse. So far I haven't been able to find any category or policy on which I align with Trump. Then again, I haven't been able to find any real depth on what Trump's policies are, so maybe I'm just missing something. Does anyone have any good references for his policy details, or could you explain some of the policies that influenced you to vote for him?

I didn't. But if this is a serious question, it's a simple answer. The Democrat Special Snowflakes are so disconnected from their ivory tower thinking that they forgot that they are in America and not Utopia. Their pie in the skyism was pushed far beyond tolerance in every aspect of their agenda. People hit the BS saturation point and took a dump.

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:39:53 am »
It's indeed a serious question. Can you explain a democratic policy that was "ivory tower"? I get that they're idealists, but they at least set out policies with  some explanation. Obviously there was more explanation needed for most of them, but that's a start. I'd like to have a real discussion beyond "liberal v conservative". Any detail you can provide is appreciated.

Offline beandog

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:40:13 am »
Many people voted for him because the alternative was unthinkable.  Plus, THE WALL. :silly:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 12:44:01 am »
It's indeed a serious question. Can you explain a democratic policy that was "ivory tower"? I get that they're idealists, but they at least set out policies with  some explanation. Obviously there was more explanation needed for most of them, but that's a start. I'd like to have a real discussion beyond "liberal v conservative". Any detail you can provide is appreciated.

All of it. They are completely backwards or simply wrong on everything. America isn't a social experiment. It's a country. They chose to FORCE their worldview on people that oppose it. The people rejected it.

Most of the country disagrees with Democrats. It's no deeper than that ultimately. they do not want to be Europe 2. They want to be America 1.

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:44:02 am »
Realistically, how is Hillary unthinkable? Is she more unthinkable than Bill Clinton or Obama? More unthinkable than two Bushes? It seems like she's just another politician.

And the wall - seriously, does anyone believe that would work? Because we've already got one, and it's pretty worthless.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 12:45:31 am »

Trump was able to hold up a mirror and convince people he would give them whatever they wanted, be it jobs in steel and coal country, the oil patch, manufacturing, ranching, or building wall, whatever...much as Obama did in 2008.

Washington has been so dysfunctional for so long that many will take a gamble on anyone offering that "Hope and Change" thingy..  :shrug:

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 12:45:58 am »
All of it. They are completely backwards or simply wrong on everything. America isn't a social experiment. It's a country. They chose to FORCE their worldview on people that oppose it. The people rejected it.

Most of the country disagrees with Democrats. It's no deeper than that ultimately. they do not want to be Europe 2. They want to be America 1.

You're objectively wrong. The popular vote went to Hillary - more than half of the country did not disagree with the Democrats. So - what is a policy on which the Democrats are wrong?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 12:46:16 am »

He's a sexy sexy man....

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 12:48:00 am »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:48:34 am by Wingnut »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:12 am »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 12:50:29 am »
BTHOOM!

(Beats The Hell Out Of Me - work with me people, I'm trying to start a new internet acronym.)

Wingnut

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:51:24 am by Wingnut »

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 12:51:57 am »
Trump was able to hold up a mirror and convince people he would give them whatever they wanted, be it jobs in steel and coal country, the oil patch, manufacturing, ranching, or building wall, whatever...much as Obama did in 2008.

Washington has been so dysfunctional for so long that many will take a gamble on anyone offering that "Hope and Change" thingy..  :shrug:

That's my problem with it - his only policy seems to be "Hope and Change", or maybe "Hate and Change". I generally feel that Democrats and Republicans are more like each other than they are like me, but at the end of the day, we're all Americans, and we all live together. And we all seem to be much more like each other than we are like Trump. It seems too easy to just say "people are dumb". I'm assuming I must have missed something that redeems him.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 12:52:37 am »

Hey @Wingnut how can you moderate the forum riding around on a bike?

Offline beandog

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 12:54:11 am »
Realistically, how is Hillary unthinkable? Is she more unthinkable than Bill Clinton or Obama? More unthinkable than two Bushes? It seems like she's just another politician.

And the wall - seriously, does anyone believe that would work? Because we've already got one, and it's pretty worthless.
Yes, she was more unthinkable than her husband, Chester the Molester Bill, and certainly the Bushes.  Obama has been 8 years of horror.  Conservatives knew the Courts would be further destroyed if something wasn't done to stop it, thus they put their faith in tRump.  They knew for a fact that's what woud happen if the Beast won. 

Besides, tRump didn't so much win as she lost.  Your people didn't come out to vote for her.  You just need to look at the numbers from 2012.  Maybe  you should be asking liberals why they didn't vote for her.  In the end, he's not her and that is a very good thing. :dx1:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 12:55:02 am »
What's his appeal...he's a cutie patootie and he is rich..that's all I need to vote for him.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 12:56:26 am »
Hey @Wingnut how can you moderate the forum riding around on a bike?

I pedal fast!

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 12:57:29 am »
That's my problem with it - his only policy seems to be "Hope and Change", or maybe "Hate and Change". I generally feel that Democrats and Republicans are more like each other than they are like me, but at the end of the day, we're all Americans, and we all live together. And we all seem to be much more like each other than we are like Trump. It seems too easy to just say "people are dumb". I'm assuming I must have missed something that redeems him.

There is an old George Carlin bit about IQ's as I recall, its probably on uTube  pretty much sums it up in my opinion..

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 12:58:02 am »
BTHOOM!

(Beats The Hell Out Of Me - work with me people, I'm trying to start a new internet acronym.)

IWIICBITNOWUWTHIGO (I would if I could but I think no one will understand what the hell is going on.)

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:19 am »
What's his appeal...he's a cutie patootie and he is rich..that's all I need to vote for him.

So am I. Shoulda voted for me.

Well, OK I'm stunningly handsome and rich is spirit.

Not buying that either huh?...

My feet don't stink! Thats gotta count for something!!!!