Author Topic: Let her go? Giuliani, Christie throw cold water on Hillary prosecution (Watch Video)  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Have you looked and the price of shares in the company that makes Bleach bit software lately?
No, but I bet they are up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Not exactly. You are arrested. You get a preliminary hearing, where bail is set (if it is--some people are considered too great a 'flight risk'). Either you make bail or you sit in the cell until your trial.

In a case such as this, in the Federal system, the Special prosecutor or District Attorneys office would notify her attorneys that an indictment had come down, they would arrange a time for her to surrender to Federal authorities, her attorneys likely would have appeared before a magistrate  for an initial appearance even before her surrender to arrange the conditions of her release which usually involves surrendering her passport and setting bail. The preliminary hearing could actually be months down the road if her attorneys  are good and they will be and then they will drag it out for two years to exert maximum political advantage...

This is nothing like the average Joe getting thrown in the drunk tank..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That doesn't make sense. A special prosecutor is to investigate the executive branch because there's a conflict of interest when it investigates itself. Hillary is not a member of the executive branch. The FBI and DOJ can investigate this just fine if Trump cleans it up first. And if it does it should do so quietly and make its case when complete if there's case left to be made.

@DB

Doesn't a Sec of State qualify as being a member of the executive branch?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

In a case such as this, in the Federal system, the Special prosecutor or District Attorneys office would notify her attorneys that an indictment had come down, they would arrange a time for her to surrender to Federal authorities, her attorneys likely would have appeared before a magistrate  for an initial appearance even before her surrender to arrange the conditions of her release which usually involves surrendering her passport and setting bail. The preliminary hearing could actually be months down the road if her attorneys  are good and they will be and then they will drag it out for two years to exert maximum political advantage...

This is nothing like the average Joe getting thrown in the drunk tank..
Maybe they could get her schnockered first...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@DB

Yep. It is a Cabinet Position.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

@DB

Not from the past and a different party. There's no conflict of interest for the FBI/DOJ to investigate Clinton. It is not investigating itself in that case.

Offline DB

Yep. It is a Cabinet Position.

A position she no longer holds and was in a different party/administration. The point of a special prosecutor is when the executive branch is investigating itself and has a strong interest in hiding the truth outside itself. None of that is the case here.

But... I'm no lawyer... And I've never played one on TV...

Offline Smokin Joe

A position she no longer holds and was in a different party/administration. The point of a special prosecutor is when the executive branch is investigating itself and has a strong interest in hiding the truth outside itself. None of that is the case here.

In her case, that may be correct. I was thinking an active SOS.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not from the past and a different party. There's no conflict of interest for the FBI/DOJ to investigate Clinton. It is not investigating itself in that case.

@DB

Say WHAT? WTF does "being from a different party" have to do with anything?

And it's not about a conflict of interest. The reason you would use a Special Prosecutor is to assure than there was no coverup because none of the suspects peers would be involved in the investigation. This is America. You want the person charged to receive a fair trial,but you also want the prosecution to not be hindered by political concerns.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DB

Nobody is ever going to accuse you of being a deep thinker,either. Why not take your "logic" a step further and say that since she no longer holds the position she can't be prosecuted for doing anything she did while she did hold the position?

The fact that she is no longer the Sec of State is completely irrelevant.

Offline DB

@DB

Say WHAT? WTF does "being from a different party" have to do with anything?

And it's not about a conflict of interest. The reason you would use a Special Prosecutor is to assure than there was no coverup because none of the suspects peers would be involved in the investigation. This is America. You want the person charged to receive a fair trial,but you also want the prosecution to not be hindered by political concerns.

As I said before. If and that's a big "if", Trump cleans up the FBI and DOJ before any investigation it can be done cleanly without any conflicts of interest. The special prosecutor statute, which has expired, was all about the conflict of interest of the executive branch investigating itself. That would not be the case in this instance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:21:30 am by DB »

Offline DB

@DB

Nobody is ever going to accuse you of being a deep thinker,either. Why not take your "logic" a step further and say that since she no longer holds the position she can't be prosecuted for doing anything she did while she did hold the position?

The fact that she is no longer the Sec of State is completely irrelevant.

Why is it you always turn into such an ass with debating something making it personal? As far as your "logic" goes, it makes no sense whatsoever. And as far as my logic goes, I happen to be pretty good at it, I do it for living involving very complex things and have done pretty well at it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That doesn't make sense. A special prosecutor is to investigate the executive branch because there's a conflict of interest when it investigates itself. Hillary is not a member of the executive branch. The FBI and DOJ can investigate this just fine if Trump cleans it up first. And if it does it should do so quietly and make its case when complete if there's case left to be made.

As SOS she was a member of the Executive Branch. So are Comey, Lynch.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

As SOS she was a member of the Executive Branch. So are Comey, Lynch.

Yes, I know she was a member. The special prosecutor statute expired a long time ago. So you're saying that the last "investigation" by the FBI/DOJ wasn't legal? It was, but by a corrupt administration. This isn't the same administration, correct? There's no legal reason it can't open the investigation with a clean slate.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:22:12 am by DB »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I trust these all of this crew to do the right thing. I have no desire to debate what they may or may not do, because I know whatever their decision will be, it will be moral and justified.

All Giuliani was saying here, as far as I could tell, is we are not sure what we are going to do yet. I understand that and agree. We don't have all the information we will have 3 months from now. It is too early to know what may happen and what to do about all of this. I have confidence that they will do the right thing when the time comes.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

Just think, Lynch was promised the attorney general job again by Hillary for covering for her.

And now she's out and just maybe what she did will see the light of day. That would be something.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
This ^^

Bill Ayers is another who we let slide with a slap on the wrist and he's been a disaster ever since.

Offline jpsb

You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

Right now the right thing to do is to allow the FBI to investigate the Clinton Foundation.
Rightly or wrongly she has already been given a pass on the emails by the Obama administration. The emails are water under the bridge. Comey and a few others need to go.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Right now the right thing to do is to allow the FBI to investigate the Clinton Foundation.
Rightly or wrongly she has already been given a pass on the emails by the Obama administration. The emails are water under the bridge. Comey and a few others need to go.

This.

Offline TomSea

1/2 the country didn't vote for her.  A small portion of the electorate voted for her. 

And, letting a person go who committed egregious crimes sure as hell isn't a way to bring the country together!

There's also a Constitution at play.

Let's see what the rule of law is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:14:15 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Attorney General prospect Giuliani leaves door open to Clinton prosecution

.... But Giuliani said the legal system, not Obama, should make the ultimate call.

Said Giuliani: “I think President Obama should leave it to the system we all believe in to determine ‘is she innocent or is she guilty?’”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/10/attorney-general-prospect-giuliani-leaves-door-open-to-clinton-prosecution.html

And Giuliani also said we do not know if the crimes are "that egregious. I'd look at exactly what he said.

------------

I remind people, there is also tradition.

Was their talk during the 2008 election, that GW Bush should have been prosecuted once Obama came to office? Check your memory and look in the mirror.

No problem being self-righteous now and accusing people of no-backbone.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:33:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline Rivergirl

Tom
I am old enough to know exactly what America First means.  Why not educate yourself.  It will be a good start.

Offline TomSea

Remember this:

By CBSNews CBS/AP April 20, 2009, 12:10 AM
Aide: Obama Won't Prosecute Bush Officials

President Barack Obama does not intend to prosecute Bush administration officials who devised the policies that led to the harsh interrogation of suspected terrorists, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel said Sunday.

Obama last week authorized the release of a series of memos detailing the methods approved under President George W. Bush. In an accompanying statement, he said "it is our intention to assure those who carried out their duties relying in good faith upon legal advice from the Department of Justice, that they will not be subject to prosecution." He did not specifically address the policymakers.

Asked Sunday on ABC's "This Week" about the fate of those officials, Emanuel said the president believes they "should not be prosecuted either and that's not the place that we go."

Continued: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/aide-obama-wont-prosecute-bush-officials/

What's right is right.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:37:58 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

http://time.com/4273812/america-first-donald-trump-history/

It does not appear there is much bad about that saying.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:39:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Obama has already pardoned felons; that was just in the news, a number of them.

Chances are, this issue will not even come up.