Author Topic: Clinton World dumbfounded by Hillary’s election defeat  (Read 1207 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Clinton World dumbfounded by Hillary’s election defeat
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:19:09 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/305339-clinton-world-dumbfounded-by-hillarys-election-defeat

By Amie Parnes - 11/10/16 06:00 AM EST

NEW YORK — They never saw it coming.

That was the sentiment repeated over and over again by Hillary Clinton’s aides, surrogates and friends on Wednesday, a day after their candidate failed to shatter the last glass ceiling.

Clinton’s allies, still numb from the shock of the defeat, woke up to a steady rain in New York and began the painful post-mortem of the most disappointing presidential election result Democrats have seen in generations.

Even before Clinton took the stage at the New Yorker Hotel ballroom to ask her supporters to have an open mind toward Republican President-elect Donald Trump, those around her were casting blame on one another, the political climate, their analytics — even the forever-plagued candidate herself.

“It was a mismanaged campaign from the start, 150 percent,” one aide said. “There was so much stuff that needed fixing. I thought we might have learned some lessons from the primary. But as you can tell from last night, probably not.”

Less than 24 hours after the mood at the Clinton election night party at the Jacob Javits Convention Center turned from celebratory to funereal, aides wondered how they could have lost so badly, why they didn’t see it coming, and how the Democrat could have lost to Trump.

One surrogate blamed the poor sampling models and analytics that the campaign was so reliant on. It hadn’t done traditional tracking polls for the last month.

Other aides and surrogates pointed to an arrogance that came from the top.

Some faulted the top brass for not properly allocating the resources they needed to win states.

Given Clinton’s primary loss to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in Michigan, allies questioned why the Democratic nominee didn’t double down in the state much earlier.

Allies on the ground complained for weeks that they weren’t getting the resources they needed.

“The big question is ‘How much money did you spend? And what’s left in the bank?’ ” said one Clinton surrogate. “Because there were states like Michigan that kept sounding the alarm and no one was taking it seriously until the very end. They never really got everything they wanted.”

“We underestimated the Midwest,” acknowledged one longtime Clinton friend.

Clinton became the first Democratic presidential candidate since 1984 to lose Wisconsin, and the first since 1988 to lose Michigan and Pennsylvania.

“I don’t think we ever understood the political climate there,” the Clinton friend said. “I know some are questioning why we never went there in the final days.”

Democratic strategist Jim Manley, another surrogate, pointed to Wisconsin as proof of the broader point that there was a disregard for that part of the country — including in down-ballot races.

“Russ Feingold sent a flare up and said ‘I need help,’ ” Manley said, but it went largely ignored.

Feingold, a former Democratic senator from Wisconsin, had long been favored to win his race against Sen. Ron Johnson. He ended up losing to the Republican incumbent, as Clinton’s collapse contributed to the downfall of Democratic Senate candidates.

Manley and more than a dozen other aides and allies interviewed by The Hill said the campaign was haunted by the looming controversies surrounding Clinton’s use of a private email during her time at the State Department and potential conflicts of interest with the Clinton Foundation. Both controversies highlighted a certain distrust of the candidate, something she wasn’t able to overcome.

“If I never hear the words email server and Clinton Foundation again, I’ll be a happy guy,” Manley said. “Both of those were the albatrosses around the neck the campaign could never escape.

“She had all the right qualifications, but mistakes were made that they could never overcome,” Manley said.

Two other controversies in October tripped up the campaign as well, allies said.

A re-examination of Clinton’s emails — found on a laptop owned by aide Huma Abedin and her estranged husband, Anthony Weiner — took away some of Clinton’s momentum.

And the constant leaking of her campaign chairman’s hacked emails by WikiLeaks caused a distraction even as those in Clinton World tried their best to ignore it.

But more than anything, aides and surrogates acknowledged that Clinton failed to understand and capture a movement that spread across the country and in Europe with the Brexit vote.

Trump’s strength gave that movement a leader and a megaphone, they said.

“There are people who were somewhat aggrieved, and he said don’t be aggrieved, be angry. And then it was don’t be angry, do something about it,” the longtime Clinton friend said.

In her concession speech on Friday, Clinton expressed regret for not being able to successfully cross the finish line.

“This is not the outcome we wanted or we worked so hard for, and I’m sorry that we did not win this election for the values we share and the vision we hold for our country,” she said. “But I feel pride and gratitude for this wonderful campaign that we built together.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Clinton World dumbfounded by Hillary’s election defeat
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »
Liberal elitists are dumbfounded The little people in flyover country do not exist for them in their theoretical "intellectual" world.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:27:12 pm »
aides wondered how they could have lost so badly, why they didn’t see it coming, and how the Democrat could have lost to Trump.

I'll tell them why: because they're don't have a clue who Americans are or what America is and they don't recognize their ignorance.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
Arrogant bastards.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:33:22 pm »
"In her concession speech on Friday"

Really?  I had to check if this was from gatewaypundit.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:42:32 pm »

Reading that article, it's clear that they still don't get it.  They're blaming organizational failures, rather than a combination of a hideously bad candidate, and an angry electorate.

Michael Moore, of all people, was the one who got it exactly right.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:46:56 pm »
Arrogant bastards.

Simple and completely nails it. These people are the High Holy Elect of Mother Gaia. Their superior morality and enlightened intellect means they are entitled to rule. The minions simply need to bow and worship.

Except they didn't.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:53:09 pm »
Rush is making a point of how since 2010; the Democrats have lost, 900 offices(?),  Obama is kryptonite to the Democrats and he's going to hang around DC, new house is in the news in Washington.

And of course, no one can dislike Obama or they are racist.

So, the whole house of cards is coming down.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 06:10:38 pm »
Rush is making a point of how since 2010; the Democrats have lost, 900 offices(?),  Obama is kryptonite to the Democrats and he's going to hang around DC, new house is in the news in Washington.

And of course, no one can dislike Obama or they are racist.

So, the whole house of cards is coming down.

From 1968 through 1988 the democrats lost the presidency four of five times. (The one Carter victory probably resulted from Ford's pardon of Nixon)

Those four wins stemmed in large measure, from a big disconnect between "Democrat Party Values" which included spitting on our soldiers.

Until the dems figured that out, they kept losing.

Today the dems are obsessed with diversity. Everywhere they shout about diversity.

And people are sick of hearing it. And voters are sending a message. We don't want to hear about Obama scolding white people, about black lives, about transgender restrooms, etc.

Drain the Swamp. People are NOT racist, merely because they are tired about hearing about diversity.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »
Reading that article, it's clear that they still don't get it.  They're blaming organizational failures, rather than a combination of a hideously bad candidate, and an angry electorate.

Michael Moore, of all people, was the one who got it exactly right.

Let us all pause a moment and reflect on the irony that Michael Moore was the voice of reason.

THAT is how bad the Democrats in America have become.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 07:24:49 pm »
From 1968 through 1988 the democrats lost the presidency four of five times. (The one Carter victory probably resulted from Ford's pardon of Nixon)

Those four wins stemmed in large measure, from a big disconnect between "Democrat Party Values" which included spitting on our soldiers.

Until the dems figured that out, they kept losing.

Today the dems are obsessed with diversity. Everywhere they shout about diversity.
D
And people are sick of hearing it. And voters are sending a message. We don't want to hear about Obama scolding white people, about black lives, about transgender restrooms, etc.

Drain the Swamp. People are NOT racist, merely because they are tired about hearing about diversity.

@truth_seeker

I also will add to that the corruption factor. Not just hers but what they see in DC in general. Since Comey's decision in July not to indict Clinton, I have been hearing from even the most apolitical people of how those who are connected seem to never be held accountable.

Hillary represented all that people hate about politics and politicians
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:32:59 pm »
@truth_seeker

I also will add to that the corruption factor. Not just hers but what they see in DC in general. Since Comey's decision in July not to indict Clinton, I have been hearing from even the most apolitical people of how those who are connected seem to never be held accountable.

Hillary represented all that people hate about politics and politicians
I am not talking about corruption, which obviously runs deep.

I am talking about law and order, riots, demonstrations--which if democrats push, will not go over well with voters.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline CommerceComet

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:33:33 pm »
It might have something to do with nominating an incompetent and corrupt candidate.

Most people realize that where there is that much smoke, there is a fire someplace. Even her supporters admit she has real ethical and legal problems. She is the most corrupt person to ever run for the office.

Hillary has had three positions of power. As a first lady given charge of a major policy initiative, she bombed with the disaster known as HillaryCare. As a carpetbagging U.S. Senator, she did nothing but get a couple of buildings named. As SOS, she got U.S. embassy personnel killed, compromised classified materials through her carelessness, and allowed herself to be bribed. Even if the corruption issues weren't there, her lack of accomplishments suggest nothing but an empty suit.

No amount of marketing is going to turn that frog into a prince.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »
It might have something to do with nominating an incompetent and corrupt candidate.

And not just that, but that the government agencies whose duty it is to impartially enforce the law, were instead actively protecting her; and that the media, who will ruthlessly pursue Republicans (let alone Trump), were doing their utmost to protect her as well.  Not to mention the amorphous blob of activists, politicians, and media that somehow crowd out real news with hysterical storms about inane "crises."  And of course, the cascade of policies and laws that cost people their jobs, or price them out of their medical insurance.

Trump's victory is best seen as a reaction against the amorphous, corrupt blob -- it's the only way normal people could see, to strike back at it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:45:24 pm by r9etb »