Author Topic: Kelly Ayotte concedes New Hampshire Senate race to Maggie Hassan  (Read 907 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Kelly Ayotte concedes New Hampshire Senate race to Maggie Hassan
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:54 pm »
SOURCE: WCVB

URL: http://www.wcvb.com/politics/new-hampshire-senate-race-too-close-to-call-at-this-time/42429608

MANCHESTER, N.H. —New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte conceded the Senate race to Gov. Maggie Hassan Wednesday evening.

The concession announcement comes after Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan declared victory in the closely-watched U.S. Senate battle against the Republican incumbent.

"I just spoke with Gov. Hassan to congratulate her on her election to serve in the U.S. Senate," Ayotte said in a statement. "I wish Gov. Hassan, her husband, Tom, and their children, Ben and Meg, the very best."

Hassan is pledging to work with President-elect Donald Trump "when it's in the best interest of New Hampshire and the country," and she promises to stand up to him when it's not.

Ayotte thanked her family and said she couldn't serve New Hampshire without their support. She also thanked her friends, supporters and volunteers who worked on her re-election campaign.

"I could never fully express how grateful and humbled I am by the outpouring of support our campaign has received since day one," Ayotte said in the statement. "It has been a tremendous privilege to serve New Hampshire in the Senate and to make progress on addressing our heroin epidemic, making it easier for our small businesses to create good-paying jobs and supporting those who keep us safe in a dangerous world.

"This is a critical time for New Hampshire and our country, and now more than ever, we need to work together to address our challenges. The voters have spoken, and now it's time all of us to come together to get things done for the people of the Greatest State in this Nation and for the greatest country on Earth.

"I want to thank the people of New Hampshire for their support, encouragement, and friendship over the past six years, and for the tremendous honor of serving as their voice in the Senate."

After Ayotte's announcement Wednesday evening, Hassan responded by thanking her for a hard-fought fight.

"This election exposed divisions in our nation. But in a season that focused on our differences, we also saw glimpses of how much we share. In the United States Senate, I will reach out to people from both sides of the aisle to identify shared goals and common ground to expand middle class opportunity and to move New Hampshire and America forward," Hassan said in a statement. "I am deeply grateful to the people of New Hampshire for the great trust that you have once again bestowed upon me, and I will work every day to honor it."

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Kelly Ayotte concedes New Hampshire Senate race to Maggie Hassan
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:33:26 pm »
So, what will be the Senate make-up with this turn of events?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 11:52:53 pm »
51 GOP  48 DEM  Louisiana has a run off election December 10 possibly giving another seat to the DEMS, which would only give the GOP a 2 seat majority.  Not much of a majority at all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 01:37:33 am »
So, basically no change in NH.  Is this really any different than Arlen Specter just changing back into a Democrat in 2009?

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 02:02:05 am »
  Kelly's been lost in the weeds for a long time.

Kelly has done little for Republicans and absolutely nothing for the Conservative Cause.  Let her go.

McConnell needs to put the pressure on Manchin (D) WV (Committee Assignments perhaps !!ENERGY!!).

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.