Author Topic: For Stephen Colbert, a Very Uncomfortable Election Night  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

For Stephen Colbert, a Very Uncomfortable Election Night
« on: November 09, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/arts/television/stephen-colbert-showtime-uncomfortable-election.html

This is your feel good read for the day. Read every fantastic detail at the link....

Excerpt:

Jeff Goldblum, the pleasantly discombobulated actor, seemed more out-of-sorts than usual in an interview; he acknowledged that he was in shock at the election results as Mr. Colbert piled on, somewhat maniacally, with the names of more states Mr. Trump had won. Mr. Goldblum tried to end on a positive message: “We’re all going to lose no matter what, and it’s the journey that counts, and how we collaborate with each other, to each other’s mutual benefit that counts.” He then performed a portion of the song “It Goes Like It Goes,” from the film “Norma Rae,” singing: “So it goes like it goes, like the river flows / and time it rolls right on / And maybe what’s good gets a little bit better / And maybe what’s bad gets gone.”

But a panel discussion that followed — with Mr. Colbert, Mr. Heilemann, the radio host Charlamagne tha God and the stand-up comedian Jena Friedman — felt thoroughly uncomfortable. “Anything that you want to tell us about how you’re feeling right now?” Mr. Colbert asked Ms. Friedman. She answered, “I feel as if I’m about to give birth to a baby that’s already dead.” Mr. Heilemann said he had nothing to offer that would make anyone feel better, noting that a New York Times forecast said it was 95 percent certain Mr. Trump would win. “Wow, no one’s laughing,” Ms. Friedman said. “This is so sad and scary.” Mr. Colbert tried to be encouraging, saying, “It’s still America. It’s still a great country.” A despairing Charlamagne answered him, “We need a president in the White House that’s going to build bridges and not walls.”

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: For Stephen Colbert, a Very Uncomfortable Election Night
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:05:24 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/arts/television/stephen-colbert-showtime-uncomfortable-election.html

This is your feel good read for the day. Read every fantastic detail at the link....

Excerpt:

If liberals were not liberals, walls would not be needed. I'm a big fan of the wall. Argued for one for years. But not because I hate Mexicans. But because I hate liberals for what they do to prevent constitutional and legal immigration. For their insistence on neutering the border patrol.

Walls must be built because we can never ever trust liberals to NOT abuse brown people for profit and political advantage. So we must protect our southern neighbors from liberals.

And no. that is not sarcasm.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:11:36 pm »
If liberals were not liberals, walls would not be needed. I'm a big fan of the wall. Argued for one for years. But not because I hate Mexicans. But because I hate liberals for what they do to prevent constitutional and legal immigration. For their insistence on neutering the border patrol.

Walls must be built because we can never ever trust liberals to NOT abuse brown people for profit and political advantage. So we must protect our southern neighbors from liberals.

And no. that is not sarcasm.

Exactly.   People who have immigrated from across the oceans necessarily are severing ties with their home country, and so are much more likely to assimilate to our values.  Immigration form the southern border is different, because those cross-border ties make it much easier to retain the culture and values of their home countries.  That is particularly true when the immigration is sufficiently rapid that assimilation does not happen.  What you get instead of assimilation to our culture is an extension of their leftist culture into our country.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »
Exactly.   People who have immigrated from across the oceans necessarily are severing ties with their home country, and so are much more likely to assimilate to our values.  Immigration form the southern border is different, because those cross-border ties make it much easier to retain the culture and values of their home countries.  That is particularly true when the immigration is sufficiently rapid that assimilation does not happen.  What you get instead of assimilation to our culture is an extension of their leftist culture into our country.

The way I see it (and I spent a lot of Time in Baja and have good friends there) is that in what may come as a surprise to many, There are a lot of mexicans and central/south Americans that are NOT in a big rush to get here. They like it where they are and see America as a land of fruit loops, not the fruited plain.

The PROBLEM is that the policies of liberalism have made being here, more attractive than being there, so much so that they will risk death to get here. I live in AZ along a smuggling route. The I40 corridor. I see it a lot.

Those policies have enabled two things. In Mexico, they further enabled corruption by the truckload in an already corrupt govt. Then, flush with greed and wanting more, the Mexican pols, like their american counterparts, turned to the Drug cartels and human trafficers to relocate the 'burdens' of Mexico to the labor market of modern day slavers. And despite the fact they are wearing no chains, the rape trees dotting the southern border stand in testament to the reality of very real slavery.

Those illegals as we see every election, vote Democrat. This time we apparently got lucky. Supporters elected Trump and the Dems were stopped for the moment. Now it has to be used to advantage to break both the democrats, break the Mexican govt and return functioning borders, a functioning immigration system and most importantly a functioning government to Mexico so their people are not used to serve the whims of Democrat slavemasters/can live in dignity and not be beholden totheir cohorts on the right in the free/cheap labor express.

The fallout from that accomplishment is a cascade effect across many pillars of the leftist global power structure.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:33:53 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 06:47:20 pm »
Remember that liberals are the only nuts that shoot at presidents.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline beandog

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »
The only bridge I want to build is one for them all to jump off of.  I love liberal tears.  Best part of the day. 8888crybaby :silly:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »
The only bridge I want to build is one for them all to jump off of.  I love liberal tears.  Best part of the day. 8888crybaby :silly:

When you gotta make lemonade, liberal tears replace water spectacularly.

Offline beandog

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
When you gotta make lemonade, liberal tears replace water spectacularly.
I'd be scared their tears would infect me with their crazy. :laugh:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »
I'd be scared their tears would infect me with their crazy. :laugh:

Boil them first. they keep their flavor...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:29 pm »

I am really enjoying the meltdown of the Left today. They have really raised the bar from previous bone crushing defeats.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:03 pm »

Having young adults in the house I'm privy to what some of what the college set are saying. Its making me fear for our future. Such drama. So many sweeping stereotypes.

Such unrefined, undiluted hatred.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »

Totally agreed.

I went to visit a website I used to post on years ago that was dedicated to a very popular series of books/TV show, but had a section for politics.  Eventually, the rudeness and moderator bias led me to leave, but I just took a look this morning.  It's mostly populated by arrogant millennials, academics, etc..

The butthurt is thoroughly enjoyable, but what is amazing is just how wrong they are about what we think.  The explicit assumption is that Trump supporters are motivated by resentment of women, minorities, gays, and immigrants.  They think that's the biggest motive.  What they don't understand is that the real resentment was directed against them, the condescension, constant references to "uneducated white voters", etc..  The arrogant, largely white left is what we're all talking about today as the focus of resentment.

They absolutely do not understand what happened, or why.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:17 pm »

Your tears are so delicious, Stephen!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 08:14:21 pm »

They also believe that the lands they are entering illegally were "stolen" from them.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »
Totally agreed.

I went to visit a website I used to post on years ago that was dedicated to a very popular series of books/TV show, but had a section for politics.  Eventually, the rudeness and moderator bias led me to leave, but I just took a look this morning.  It's mostly populated by arrogant millennials, academics, etc..

The butthurt is thoroughly enjoyable, but what is amazing is just how wrong they are about what we think.  The explicit assumption is that Trump supporters are motivated by resentment of women, minorities, gays, and immigrants.  They think that's the biggest motive.  What they don't understand is that the real resentment was directed against them, the condescension, constant references to "uneducated white voters", etc..  The arrogant, largely white left is what we're all talking about today as the focus of resentment.

I had to abandon the couple literary sites I used to use a long time ago because of that 'progression' as well.

The silver lining is that this is ultimately a destructive but self solving problem. And by my calculations, we are about 20 years tops from the end game.

I'm first year GenX so my teachers were the original flower children of academia. WE skipped the worst of the indoctrination but the tail end of the class got the first real push of it.

Our kids grew up under a mixed but progressively worse batch of teachers from the hippies and GenX liberals. But it is THEIR kids, in 20/less years that are well and truly headed for Huxley's 'Delta' category, sans the alcohol shots. They will be FULLY bathed from birth by indoctrinated parents educated in the full measure of leftist indoctrination in schools.

They have no chance to speak of, being then fully removed from any direct contact with the America that was, a genuine education without overt agenda, having any gender traits taught out of them...

They will be empty, mentally accepting vessels for whatever liberals require them to be. In that world, the law of the jungle quickly reasserts itself and culls the 'weak'.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:36:45 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:44:16 pm »
Totally agreed.

Yes!!! This!!

It is condescending white liberals who have created the level of anger that led to Trump's defeat of Hillary.

And even though I found Trump too repulsive a human being to vote for, I DO understand the anger and where it's coming from.

There are small racist, sexist segments among the voters, but the majority of Americans are just fed up with the arrogant, ignorant left.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 08:55:34 pm »
Mr. Goldblum tried to end on a positive message: “We’re all going to lose no matter what, and it’s the journey that counts, and how we collaborate with each other, to each other’s mutual benefit that counts.” He then performed a portion of the song “It Goes Like It Goes,” from the film “Norma Rae,” singing: “So it goes like it goes, like the river flows / and time it rolls right on / And maybe what’s good gets a little bit better / And maybe what’s bad gets gone.”

But a panel discussion that followed — with Mr. Colbert, Mr. Heilemann, the radio host Charlamagne tha God and the stand-up comedian Jena Friedman — felt thoroughly uncomfortable.
Okay, I've heard of Colbert and Goldblum, but have no idea who these other folks are - and so really don't care about their discomfort.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 09:00:28 pm »
Okay, I've heard of Colbert and Goldblum, but have no idea who these other folks are - and so really don't care about their discomfort.  :laugh:

That means you care about Colbert and Goldblum's discomfort because you know them. I hope they all jump off a bridge.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 12:15:02 am »
That means you care about Colbert and Goldblum's discomfort because you know them. I hope they all jump off a bridge.
Certainly. Close personal friends. And they also can jump off a bridge.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org