Author Topic: Republicans Keep Control Of The Senate As Democrats Largely Falter  (Read 1051 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Republicans Keep Control Of The Senate As Democrats Largely Falter

Republicans will hold on to control of the Senate, according to Associated Press projections. The GOP defied the odds in a year in which they were almost entirely on defense and rode a wave that carried Donald J. Trump to the White House.

Even with their best opportunities to gain seats in years, Democrats so far have only been able to pick up deep blue Illinois. And they narrowly hung on in Nevada, which was Republicans' only offensive opportunity.

Going into Election Day, Democrats thought they had expanded an already favorable map for them, putting Republicans on notice in Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina. But in the end, it wasn't enough. Among competitive races, only the New Hampshire Senate race remains too close to call. The Louisiana Senate race will go to a December runoff, but Republicans are expected to easily hold that seat.

Read More At: http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/500711970/republicans-keep-control-of-the-senate-as-democrats-largely-falter

Offline Applewood

Re: Republicans Keep Control Of The Senate As Democrats Largely Falter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:07:47 pm »
It was close in Pennsylvania, but Pat Toomey pulled out a victory.  One bright spot in this whole mess of an election.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »
I expect heads to roll at the DNC..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:31:12 pm »
I expect heads to roll at the DNC..

With the media it was like the Great American Headfake. They full court pressed about how Hillary and the Dems had this, were going to flip the whole thing their way, without any doubt.

None of it happened, it was all vapor. We even flipped the Iowa Senate and I'm curious to see how the GOP did in other states.

As much as I'm not a Trump fan, I'm feeling the schadenfreude this a.m.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »

That is how I'm feeling as well.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
It was close in Pennsylvania, but Pat Toomey pulled out a victory.  One bright spot in this whole mess of an election.

Todd Young's victory over Evan Bayh in Indiana is another bright spot.  It's not a net gain but it was a very close race and Bayh, a former US Senator and IN governor, was running ahead for most of it.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 03:45:59 pm »
With the media it was like the Great American Headfake. They full court pressed about how Hillary and the Dems had this, were going to flip the whole thing their way, without any doubt.

None of it happened, it was all vapor. We even flipped the Iowa Senate and I'm curious to see how the GOP did in other states.

We need to give Trump a chance.   I think, based on his victory speech, that he will be different than Trump the Campaigner.     

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »
We need to give Trump a chance.   I think, based on his victory speech, that he will be different than Trump the Campaigner.   

I'm giving him a chance as well.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »

I've been sort of hoping that all along.  The truth is that he could never have made as many deals as he did if he didn't know how to act with far more decorum in business settings.  There has to be a more practical, less showman-like aspect to him, as well as the showman personality he has adopted in public.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:03 pm »
I've been sort of hoping that all along.  The truth is that he could never have made as many deals as he did if he didn't know how to act with far more decorum in business settings.  There has to be a more practical, less showman-like aspect to him, as well as the showman personality he has adopted in public.

What Trump was able to do was to get the Low-Info Vote, which traditionally went to the Democrats.  He knew he needed them to win, and he knew what would play well with them.  Now say what you will,  and maybe we consider ourselves to be above such things, but the bottom line is, you have to get the Low-Info voters to win an election.  I don't like that, but there it is. 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 04:09:41 pm »
What Trump was able to do was to get the Low-Info Vote, which traditionally went to the Democrats.  He knew he needed them to win, and he knew what would play well with them.  Now say what you will,  and maybe we consider ourselves to be above such things, but the bottom line is, you have to get the Low-Info voters to win an election.  I don't like that, but there it is.

Congratulations to President-elect Trump and his supporters. Enjoy your victory, and best wishes to your incoming administration. You "killed " Clinton Inc., a feat worthy of praise.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:26 pm »
Congratulations to President-elect Trump and his supporters. Enjoy your victory, and best wishes to your incoming administration. You "killed " Clinton Inc., a feat worthy of praise.

And perhaps gave rise to Obama, Inc.     I'm already seeing some proclaiming Michelle as the favorite in 2020.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:12 pm »
And perhaps gave rise to Obama, Inc.     I'm already seeing some proclaiming Michelle as the favorite in 2020.

That could happen if she runs for Senate in 2018. Either in California or Hawaii..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:18:41 pm by kevindavis »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »

What Trump got was the vote of those left behind by the corrupt Uniparty - those  who have lost their jobs and suffer under Obamacare. They are not low information and they voted for their survival. The low information vote is OWNED by the Dimocraps and always will be.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »
It will only be a real success if the senate acts to limit government and follows the constitution. I'm glad Ted Cruz is in there, he's the only one who understands the constitution.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 04:18:41 pm »

Wonder if the bribes to the Clinton Crime Foundation will have to be returned? There are some angry despots today.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »

I hope you are correct.  With both the House and Senate he could be a very effective President.  He will have to be a different man as President than he was as a campaigner and a far bigger man than he has ever been in his life.  This is what I am hoping for.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

That shows how weak their bench is.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »
The GOP has the presidency and the Congress. They won't be able to blame Obama...I suspect some are waking up this morning, contemplating where they are now and saying oh shite...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »
As far as the Senate goes, this was redemption for the Tea Party. These were the people who were elected in the Tea Party wave. Pat Toomey, Mike Lee and Ron Johnson in particular were brought in on the Tea Party wave and all three survived for re-election.

Mark Kirk was kind of a special circumstance because of Blagojevich and all. His situation was kind of like Scott Brown's; he never really stood a chance of getting re-elected in Chicagoland.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 06:14:45 pm »
They never really had control of the Senate, 90% of them are liberal anyway