Author Topic: Trump strikes unifying tone in victory speech  (Read 1435 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump strikes unifying tone in victory speech
« on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:10 pm »
November 09, 2016, 02:59 am
Trump strikes unifying tone in victory speech

By Ben Kamisar

President-elect Donald Trump sought to cast himself as a unifier in his victory speech early Wednesday morning, calling for all Americans to come together to "bind the wounds of division."

"To all Democrats, Republicans, Independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people," Trump said, taking the stage just before 3 a.m. Eastern after walking out to the score from the movie "Air Force One."

"For those who chose not to support me in the past, of which there are a few people, I'm reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so we can reach out and unify our great country."

Trump's became president-elect came after a stunning string of victories in almost every major swing state, threading the needle on what many political pundits had deemed an impossible path to 270 electoral votes.

While the conversation in recent had centered on whether Trump would concede if he lost, Trump addressed his supporters at the New York Hilton with more than 270 electoral votes in the bag and more potentially on the way.

Trump immediately praised his opponent, Democrat Hillary Clinton. He noted that she had called to concede and congratulate him just a few minutes before — even after campaign chairman John Podesta had said earlier that the campaign would not concede until all the votes were counted.

"Hillary has worked very hard over a long period of time and we owe her a major debt for her service to our country," Trump said.

"I mean that sincerely," he added, a nod to the contentious rhetoric on the campaign trail that led to him labeling her "Crooked Hillary" and calling on her to be put in prison. 

Then, the real estate mogul sought to show he will be willing to work with others in his administration.

"While we will put Americans interest first, we will deal fairly with everyone," Trump said. "We will seek common ground, not hostility."

Flanked by his family and the family of his vice presidential pick, Mike Pence, A gracious Trump called out to his own family, thanking them for putting up with the brutal campaign schedule.

He spotlighted some of his campaign staff as well as supporters like former New York City Mayor Rudi Giuliani, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee and former Gen. Michael Flynn.

And he called out to Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus, downplaying reports of infighting and calling him an "unbelievable star."

In an unconventional moment, Trump called Priebus up to the stage, urging him to say a few words despite his protests.

"It's about time you did this, Reince," Trump said with a smile, before Priebus briefly congratulated Trump.

To close, Trump argued that while his shocking victory was historic, he must perform well as president to truly be historic."

"I promise you will not let you down. I look very much forward to being your president," he said.

"Hopefully at the end of two years, or three years, or four years, or maybe even eight years, you will say, so many of you worked so hard for us, but you will say that is something you were really proud to do."

Just before he left the stage, Trump added a brief thank-you to Pence, reaching over to shake his future vice president's hand.

Trump walked off stage to the Rolling Stones' "You Cant' Always Get What You Want," a song that usually closed out Trump campaign rallies.
The Associated Press declared Trump the election winner just after 2:30 a.m. Eastern Time after Wisconsin delivered Trump the pivotal electoral votes.

While Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta initially refused to concede in a brief speech early Wednesday morning, Clinton called Trump a bit later to concede.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/305132-trump-strikes-unifying-tone-in-victory-speech
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Trump strikes unifying tone in victory speech
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »
I think he hit the right notes, which was reassuring.  I am less concerned about the response of Democrats than about the behavior of some of Trump's supporters. They, rather than Trump himself were the reason I voted for a 3rd party candidate.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
The dog caught the car.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »
Though they may not have voted for him, I'd say 80-85% will unite in this country behind the president.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 02:52:46 pm »
Though they may not have voted for him, I'd say 80-85% will unite in this country behind the president.

Oh hell no.  The core Democrats, feminists, LGBTQ, BLM, professors, academia....they'll all oppose him, just as we wouldn't have united behind Hillary.  I don't know a single Hillary supporter who is urging unity behind Trump.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 02:54:02 pm »
Good. It's a nice start.
Beats the bashing some have us have done this cycle, myself included.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:33 pm »
A good speech and a good start to his role as President.

I wish him well in this endeavor.  I can hope I'm proven wrong and he reduces the size and scope of the federal government.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:26:23 pm »

The left will view Trump with even more contempt than they did Georgie.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
Oh hell no.  The core Democrats, feminists, LGBTQ, BLM, professors, academia....they'll all oppose him, just as we wouldn't have united behind Hillary.  I don't know a single Hillary supporter who is urging unity behind Trump.

IF he can unite the party and bring the GOP base together (including #NEVERTRUMP), the rest will have no choice but to fall in line; they can oppose him ... BUT when he starts to turn the economy around and puts people back to work they'll be singing a different tune. You can bet that the DEMS are meeting and already finding away to take him down.  That is why it is so important for us to unite as a party.   I am praying that he does half of what he says he'll do and those surrounding him will be able to keep his abrupt, bully-like personality in check.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

Absolutely, they are enraged this morning!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:31 pm »
IF he can unite the party and bring the GOP base together (including #NEVERTRUMP), the rest will have no choice but to fall in line; they can oppose him ... BUT when he starts to turn the economy around and puts people back to work they'll be singing a different tune. You can bet that the DEMS are meeting and already finding away to take him down.  That is why it is so important for us to unite as a party.   I am praying that he does half of what he says he'll do and those surrounding him will be able to keep his abrupt, bully-like personality in check.

In all honesty, did we ever rally around Bubba, or Obama?  We fought them every step of the way, even when the economy was improving (under Bubba, at least).  The left is no different.  Maybe even more hard-core.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »
Do not take this as sour grapes, but...

President Trump has his work cut out for him when it comes to unifying. He didn't really unify the party prior to the election, even though he pulled it off.

Most importantly, the majority of Americans did not vote for him. He did not even win the plurality - Hillary did. Oh, he won fair and square, but he has an up-hill battle when it comes to unifying.

He really needs to take that to heart. Hopefully he can stick to his promise of being so presidential that we'll get bored. Now, more than ever, Trump needs to show impeccable grace and poise if he has any chance of unifying the country. Otherwise, the majority of people who did NOT vote for him will become a real problem for him over time.

Nonetheless, he won, which I frankly thought was impossible.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 08:05:44 pm »

I wish him the best of luck and I hope he does well..

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »

Trump immediately praised his opponent, Democrat Hillary Clinton. He noted that she had called to concede and congratulate him just a few minutes before — even after campaign chairman John Podesta had said earlier that the campaign would not concede until all the votes were counted.

"Hillary has worked very hard over a long period of time and we owe her a major debt for her service to our country," Trump said.

"I mean that sincerely," he added, a nod to the contentious rhetoric on the campaign trail that led to him labeling her "Crooked Hillary" and calling on her to be put in prison.

Guess that means he's not putting her in jail after all? Who would have guessed it?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 11:50:41 pm »

Is he going to put her in jail or not?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 01:13:10 am »

I wish him the best of luck and I hope he does well..

Same here. I didn't vote for him, but I'm excited as he'll over the Republican mandate we have for at least two years.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 04:19:44 am »
I think he hit the right notes, which was reassuring.  I am less concerned about the response of Democrats than about the behavior of some of Trump's supporters. They, rather than Trump himself were the reason I voted for a 3rd party candidate.

Reading the synopsis, it sounds much better than I expected... the usual butchering of the language aside.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline bilo

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 04:30:52 am »

I think the difference this time is  because the Rats exercised raw power in advancing their agenda they have changed the environment. The "we play be the traditional rules" doesn't apply anymore. The filibuster was done away with for all levels of judges, except the Supreme Court. The filibuster was done away with for appointments to the cabinet. The Rats can't delay Trump setting up his administration and if McConnell has any sense he will end the SCOTUS filibuster rule. The Pubs may take heat, but the response should be easy. The Rats set up these rule changes for obama, what's different.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home