Author Topic: Ted Cruz praises Trump's 'amazing victory': ...A Promise to Drain the Swamp"  (Read 2619 times)

Offline libertybele

Cruz always paints a vivid picture with his words ... "Americans voted for Republicans because of a promise to go to Washington to reverse our current course, and end the Washington cartel — a promise to drain the swamp," Cruz wrote!  :patriot:

Ted Cruz praises Trump's 'amazing victory'

Ted Cruz hailed the election of Donald Trump as an "amazing victory for the American worker," saying early Wednesday that the victory represents a wholesale rejection of the Obama administration's progressive agenda.

Cruz in a congratulatory Facebook post encouraged Trump to immediately begin undoing the landmark legislation of the last eight years, in order to install a far-reaching conservative agenda.

"Americans voted for Republicans because of a promise to go to Washington to reverse our current course, and end the Washington cartel — a promise to drain the swamp," he wrote. "Now is the time to follow through on those words with action."

Cruz also laid out a series of priorities, including repealing Obamacare, securing the border and confirming conservative justices to the Supreme Court, saying he is eager to aid those causes.

"The election astonished the pundits," he wrote. "This was a change election."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/ted-cruz-praise-trump-2016-win-231079
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:34:34 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Just_Victor

Trump is going to have to decide if he wants allies or enemies in Congress.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline libertybele

Trump needs to do what he promised to the American people.  His loyalty should be to the American people ... Congress needs to be loyal to the American people.  Trump and Congress work for us.  We do not work for them. We hired them, we can fire them! Something that seems to have been forgotten along the way.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Just_Victor

Trump needs to do what he promised to the American people.  His loyalty should be to the American people ... Congress needs to be loyal to the American people.  Trump and Congress work for us.  We do not work for them. We hired them, we can fire them! Something that seems to have been forgotten along the way.

I agree.  But the point about Trump is that he has spent a lot of time vilifying anyone who didn't bow down to him.  He can get a lot accomplished with support from Congress.  He is going to have to decide if he is going to govern like he campaigned (enemies in Congress) or if his allegiance is to his promised agenda to benefit the American people (allies in Congress).

Offline libertybele

I agree.  But the point about Trump is that he has spent a lot of time vilifying anyone who didn't bow down to him.  He can get a lot accomplished with support from Congress.  He is going to have to decide if he is going to govern like he campaigned (enemies in Congress) or if his allegiance is to his promised agenda to benefit the American people (allies in Congress).

Well, I'm looking at things a bit differently.  Imagine if Trump appoints someone like Ted Cruz to be Attorney General!!  What a shake up of Washington that would be!  Cruz never formally endorsed Trump, but he did announce he voted for him and he hit the campaign trail.  He took one for the team for sure.  Trump appoints strong conservatives to his cabinet and the 'cartel' will need to step in line or they can get out of line.

Offline Just_Victor

Well, I'm looking at things a bit differently.  Imagine if Trump appoints someone like Ted Cruz to be Attorney General!!  What a shake up of Washington that would be!  Cruz never formally endorsed Trump, but he did announce he voted for him and he hit the campaign trail.  He took one for the team for sure.  Trump appoints strong conservatives to his cabinet and the 'cartel' will need to step in line or they can get out of line.
  If he's going to pull Cruz out of the Senate, he should go on the Supreme Court.  But we'll have to see what sort of people Trump surrounds himself with.  We can hope for Constitutional conservatives, but at this point it's nothing but hope.  Where Trump has a record regarding the Constitution, it doesn't look promising.

Offline libertybele

If he's going to pull Cruz out of the Senate, he should go on the Supreme Court.  But we'll have to see what sort of people Trump surrounds himself with.  We can hope for Constitutional conservatives, but at this point it's nothing but hope.  Where Trump has a record regarding the Constitution, it doesn't look promising.

While Trump doesn't have a conservative record, he does clearly have a record that he can't be pushed around.  Think of all that the Washington cartel/elitists have gotten away with and excused by the DOJ or covered by the DOJ.  With Cruz as DOJ, that wouldn't happen.  Cruz needs to be given a powerful position within his cabinet. 

My hunch though is Cruz will stay in the Senate, run for re-election in 2018 and run for the presidency in 2020.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Senator Cruz is going to hold Trump to his promises!

Offline Just_Victor

Senator Cruz is going to hold Trump to his promises!

I would love to see several bills waiting for Trump's signature on Jan 21; repeal 0bamacare, an actual budget, immigration control, etc.  Senator Cruz should begin work immediately.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:17:39 pm by Just_Victor »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Cruz always paints a vivid picture with his words ... "Americans voted for Republicans because of a promise to go to Washington to reverse our current course, and end the Washington cartel — a promise to drain the swamp," Cruz wrote!  :patriot:

Ted Cruz praises Trump's 'amazing victory'

Ted Cruz hailed the election of Donald Trump as an "amazing victory for the American worker," saying early Wednesday that the victory represents a wholesale rejection of the Obama administration's progressive agenda.

Cruz in a congratulatory Facebook post encouraged Trump to immediately begin undoing the landmark legislation of the last eight years, in order to install a far-reaching conservative agenda.

"Americans voted for Republicans because of a promise to go to Washington to reverse our current course, and end the Washington cartel — a promise to drain the swamp," he wrote. "Now is the time to follow through on those words with action."

Cruz also laid out a series of priorities, including repealing Obamacare, securing the border and confirming conservative justices to the Supreme Court, saying he is eager to aid those causes.

"The election astonished the pundits," he wrote. "This was a change election."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/ted-cruz-praise-trump-2016-win-231079

For those who considered Cruz's support of Trump to be a betrayal....

Look at what it got the conservative cause.  By actually supporting Trump, there's a much better chance that he'll get listened to by the new Administration.  He can do things like call for a conservative agenda, and do it from the position of an ally rather than as an enemy, which would have been the case had he withheld support.  As narcissistic as Trump his, he will view Cruz more favorably because of that support.  That is better for conservativism than if Cruz had remained in opposition, and been viewed as an enemy.

Cruz cared about conservatism more than pride and hurt feelings.  He's an honorable, good man who made a decision that he thought put his country first.

And as much as I like him as a Senator, that's just 1 out of 100.  Really, really would like to see him on the Court for the next 30 years....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

We can hope for Constitutional conservatives, but at this point it's nothing but hope. 

Absolutely true.  But then, contrast that with what would be an utter lack of hope if Hillary had won.  At least we've got a chance.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Look at what it got the conservative cause.  By actually supporting Trump, there's a much better chance that he'll get listened to by the new Administration.  He can do things like call for a conservative agenda, and do it from the position of an ally rather than as an enemy, which would have been the case had he withheld support.  As narcissistic as Trump his, he will view Cruz more favorably because of that support.  That is better for conservativism than if Cruz had remained in opposition, and been viewed as an enemy.

Cruz cared about conservatism more than pride and hurt feelings.  He's an honorable, good man who made a decision that he thought put his country first.

And as much as I like him as a Senator, that's just 1 out of 100.  Really, really would like to see him on the Court for the next 30 years....

I agree.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline GrouchoTex

Way back when, (last year), before things got stupid ugly, a lot of people wanted to see Trump for 8 years as POTUS, followed by Cruz for 8 years.
That could work.

Offline skeeter

Very well said.

Except the court part. I want Cruz helping make legislation for awhile longer.

Offline libertybele

Very well said.

Except the court part. I want Cruz helping make legislation for awhile longer.

I would like to see Cruz run for re-election in 2018 and run for president in 2020.

Offline bilo

I'm with you Sen Cruz!

Let's see if McConnell has the strength to fight the Rats.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

I'm with you Sen Cruz!

Let's see if McConnell has the strength to fight the Rats.

If he is smart enough to see the writing on the wall he will; otherwise he'll be retiring.

Offline NavyCanDo

Reading some of the comments on TBR this morning and last night, it is clear that some members here need to be warned to, Step Away From the Ledge.

For many of us who see Trump far differently than his supporters do, we do have to consider this reason to be thankful for the outcome.

What happened last night is we avoided Hillary Clinton tilting the scales of the Supreme Court with her pick to fill the open seat and any others that would have opened up during her reign of terror. The damage she could do to the court would have been irreparable for decades.

And if she won last night with the margin that pollsters said she would, on her coat tails could have been enough senate seats to give her a mandate.   

That being said, we  (and that means Trump voters too) need to hold Trump and the Republicans on Capitol Hill accountable to drive a Conservative & Constitutional  limited government agenda, and woe betide if they stray again.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Norm Lenhart

Reading some of the comments on TBR this morning and last night, it is clear that some members here need to be warned to, Step Away From the Ledge.

For many of us who see Trump far differently than his supporters do, we do have to consider this reason to be thankful for the outcome.

What happened last night is we avoided Hillary Clinton tilting the scales of the Supreme Court with her pick to fill the open seat and any others that would have opened up during her reign of terror. The damage she could do to the court would have been irreparable for decades.

And if she won last night with the margin that pollsters said she would, on her coat tails could have been enough senate seats to give her a mandate.   

That being said, we  (and that means Trump voters too) need to hold Trump and the Republicans on Capitol Hill accountable to drive a Conservative & Constitutional  limited government agenda, and woe betide if they stray again.

Just as a general statement...

Can we please stop the pretty lie we tell ourselves and each other that we are going to hold Trump or anyone elses feet to the fire/accountable/whatever?

Trum is president and thats the way it is whether we NeverTrumpers like it or not. I think despite our massive reservations about him, that we all want him to be successful in governing constitutionally and at least begin to revert the idiocy of the past 12 years. We would be fools to want anything less. However the die is indeed cast. It is out of our hands because now we have absolutely NOTHING we can do if either he or the GOP revert to type.

No one is going to do squat because no one can. And repeating the impotent "feet to the fire' mantra us nothing but self delusion. The choice is made. Now we hope for the best.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

No one is going to do squat because no one can. And repeating the impotent "feet to the fire' mantra us nothing but self delusion. The choice is made. Now we hope for the best.

Fair enough -- there's little that can be done to him.  But members of Congress can still be influenced by constituents, and contacting members to let them know which of Trump's stuff you support or oppose can make a difference in how much deference they give to Trump.  Which in turn will affect what he is able to actually accomplish.

It's not perfect or absolute -- they're not going to do everything we say just because we ask.  But it's not nothing, and isn't just self-delusion.

Offline NavyCanDo

Just as a general statement...

Can we please stop the pretty lie we tell ourselves and each other that we are going to hold Trump or anyone elses feet to the fire/accountable/whatever?

Trum is president and thats the way it is whether we NeverTrumpers like it or not. I think despite our massive reservations about him, that we all want him to be successful in governing constitutionally and at least begin to revert the idiocy of the past 12 years. We would be fools to want anything less. However the die is indeed cast. It is out of our hands because now we have absolutely NOTHING we can do if either he or the GOP revert to type.

This is still a political forum and despite my favorite candidate not winning the nomination I will still involve myself in steering the political direction of the country – YES holding my elected Representative's feet to the fire. I will NOT give up on my job as a voter, a precinct delegate and constituent.

For those who want to throw in the towel and give up on the Republican Party and politics, I’m sure there are non- political forums for people who just like to complain about the world. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Norm Lenhart

This is still a political forum and despite my favorite candidate not winning the nomination I will still involve myself in steering the political direction of the country – YES holding my elected Representative's feet to the fire. I will NOT give up on my job as a voter, a precinct delegate and constituent.

For those who want to throw in the towel and give up on the Republican Party and politics, I’m sure there are non- political forums for people who just like to complain about the world.

Thats not what I'm saying.

What I am saying is that we hear time and time and time and time again that feet to the fire line but what can we do? Those congressmen did not listen to us one bit when they were the minority. the did not listen to us and in fact flatly went in the opposite direction of the mandate we gave them with their majority. Is that not true?

Did we do anything? No because we could not. I am bot saying anyone should suddenly go home and play Pong. I am saying that it is useless and in fact counterproductive to simply mouth empty words in a circle jerk. Yes discuss. Yess get active locally and work in a MEANINGFUL way to get something done. But just lets us all PLEASE stop propagandizing each other with feelgood sloganeering that does nothing positive..

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
If one wants to go Conservative, the Constitution Party serves their needs, I'm not sure if they even got 1% and this is not meant as an insult to the Constitution Party.

If one has an agenda that furthers Conservatism, I'll take that, even if that agenda is not perfect, than some pie-in-the-sky conservatism that accomplishes very little.

But, now, I guess, we can judge a Trump administration as a failure if it doesn;t meet the principles of the Constitution Party.

Got it!

Offline dfwgator

I pick the former.   He and Ted will get along fine.

Offline GrouchoTex

I pick the former.   He and Ted will get along fine.

I think you are correct.
Outside of some of the social issues, they aren't that far apart at all, when it comes to security, immigration, SCOTUS, lowering Taxes, easing regulations.