Author Topic: Ann Coulter’s ‘grandparent’ argument would exclude Trump from voting  (Read 1989 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Does she not know about the grandfather clause of Jim Crow laws?  I swear she wants to sabotage the Right sometimes.

On the eve of Election Day, conservative commentator Ann Coulter suggested that if only people with four U.S.-born grandparents voted, Donald Trump would win by “a 50-state landslide.”

Coulter’s critics were incensed, saying her comments were similar to racist Jim Crow laws that used “grandfather clauses” to stop blacks from voting.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2016/live-updates/general-election/real-time-updates-on-the-2016-election-voting-and-race-results/ann-coulters-grandparent-argument-would-exclude-trump-from-voting/

Offline ABX

Re: Ann Coulter’s ‘grandparent’ argument would exclude Trump from voting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_clause

The term originated in late nineteenth-century legislation and constitutional amendments passed by a number of U.S. Southern states, which created new requirements for literacy tests, payment of poll taxes, and/or residency and property restrictions to register to vote. States in some cases exempted those whose ancestors (grandfathers) had the right to vote before the Civil War, or as of a particular date, from such requirements. The intent and effect of such rules was to prevent poor and illiterate African-American former slaves and their descendants from voting, but without denying poor and illiterate whites the right to vote. Although these original grandfather clauses were eventually ruled unconstitutional, the terms grandfather clause and grandfather have been adapted to other uses.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:47:36 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_clause
I never knew that. Thanks for the education. Ann Coulter has been out of the closet with her Xenophobia for quite some time.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »
I never knew that. Thanks for the education. Ann Coulter has been out of the closet with her Xenophobia for quite some time.

She seems to be moving from crypto-fascist to outright fascist.
Let it burn.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:21 pm »
So Coulter thinks that an "American" is determined by blood, by genetic purity. 

How Aryan of her.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:41 pm »
Good grief. I have a grandparent who came from Poland at the age of 3. So that means Ms. Coulter thinks I shouldn't have the right to vote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:59:23 pm »
Good grief. I have a grandparent who came from Poland at the age of 3. So that means Ms. Coulter thinks I shouldn't have the right to vote.

Likewise. My maternal Grandmother was born in Norway and emigrated to the United States with her parents when she was 8.

Amusingly, my wife pointed out that while Coulter's plan would prevent my northern-European-descended self from voting, all four of my wife's grandparents were born right here in Texas. They were also all descended from African-American slaves.  :laugh:
Let it burn.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:45 pm »
This is the 'sanitized' version of Nazi Germany's Mischling Test (from their Nuremberg Laws), in which they determined a person's 'Jewishness' not by religious belief, but by how many Jewish grandparents one had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischling_Test
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Laws
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:19:59 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:17:45 pm »
This is the 'sanitized' version of Nazi Germany's Mischling Test, in which they determined a person's 'Jewishness' not by religious belief, but by how many Jewish grandparents one had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischling_Test
I'm really starting to worry about the destination of the Trump Train if you know what I mean.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 11:25:45 pm »
I'm really starting to worry about the destination of the Trump Train if you know what I mean.

There is a reason I have been saying it isn't just Trump I have been opposing but the direction the Right has shifted lately.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:29:26 pm »

Wow... I guess I'm SOL in Ann's world. My maternal grandfather was born in Scotland.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 12:48:31 am »
By her standards, my children would not be allowed to vote. Ann Coulter, dumber than she is anorexic............and that's a whole lot of dumb!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 12:59:38 am »
Wow... I guess I'm SOL in Ann's world. My maternal grandfather was born in Scotland.

Even worse, I am OK to vote by her standards and I didn't vote for Trump. LOL

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Ann Coulter defends ‘4 grandparents’ tweet after backlash
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »
Ann Coulter defends ‘4 grandparents’ tweet after backlash

Caitlin Dickson
Yahoo News
November 8, 2016

Firebrand conservative commentator Ann Coulter defended a recent controversial tweet in a heated exchange with Yahoo News Chief Investigative Correspondent Michael Isikoff on Tuesday night.

Coulter roused support as well as plenty of outrage on Twitter Monday night when she posited, “If only people with at least 4 grandparents born in America were voting, Trump would win in a 50-state landslide.”

Coulter is a well-known political bomb-thrower and has no shortage of controversial tweets.

More, with videos and reader comments
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:39:21 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 06:28:13 pm »

How Aryan of her.

And Progressive.

It's the left who wanted to euthanize the impure.  Ann fits in well to that mold.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 06:29:41 pm »
Said it on another thread........... all four of my grandparents were born in Sweden, so my siblings and I still shouldn't vote.

This woman is bordering on insanity.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »
Even worse, I am OK to vote by her standards and I didn't vote for Trump. LOL

:silly:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 06:35:25 pm »
Said it on another thread........... all four of my grandparents were born in Sweden, so my siblings and I still shouldn't vote.

This woman is bordering on insanity.

I think I will simply ignore Ann and let her age peacefully.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:35:50 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 06:39:18 pm »

How Aryan of her.

How do you figure? 

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 06:50:28 pm »
I think I will simply ignore Ann and let her age peacefully.

Peacefully, if not gracefully.  :whistle:
Let it burn.