Author Topic: Last stand of NeverTrump  (Read 5374 times)

Offline corbe

Last stand of NeverTrump
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:58:38 am »
Last stand of NeverTrump   
6 hours ago by Brian T. Carter

http://thenewamericana.com/2016/11/07/last-stand-nevertrump/

Last stand of NeverTrump

In the waning days of the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump enthusiasts are making their final, all-out assault in an attempt to bully, harass, harangue, and intimidate NeverTrumpers into submission — all must submit and resistance, we are told, is futile.

Roger Simon of PJMedia diagnoses NeverTrumpers as suffering from “moral narcissism” because we want “clean hands” more than we care about the fate of the country. In the very next paragraph he reassures readers, “[H]aving spent some time on the campaign trail at Trump rallies…[he] never saw anyone identified with the NeverTrump movement.” Why would NeverTrumpers attend a Trump rally? Is Simon saying NeverTrumpers are near extinction or is he saying the only way to fairly judge Donald Trump is to run the personal safety risk of attending a rally as an open Trump opponent? So, Simon attended rallies for Hillary Clinton, right? No, but it is a clever and subtle way of accusing NeverTrumpers of being close-minded and ill-informed even if predicated on the assumption only news gathered first-hand is of value. Maybe that explains the failure of Simon’s PJTV — all his viewers realized they could do better on their own.

Juan Davalos, at TheFederalist.com, writes NeverTrumpers are not morally superior and lack moral character; they are escaping responsibility and reality. In words dripping with condescension, Davalos gives voters firm criteria for choosing between the “only two candidates” we can choose: “One must discern the pros and cons of the platform each individual endorses”. We are not free to consider whether they will be faithful to their platform or if they were honest in their endorsements. He says we are not endorsing their corruption or misbehavior contrary to Ben Shapiro’s argument a vote for Trump or Clinton gives them the voter’s moral imprimatur. We are morally obligated to vote based solely on a comparison of their platforms. Failure to choose one of these two paths is to evade our responsibility. After making a weak analogy to soldiers having no option except to fight, Davalos adds, “[t]he task of the citizen is harder than that of the soldier” because we must deliberate and decide what is best to do for the “common good” like all well-behaved communists.

Over at AmericanThinker.com there are frequent articles attacking NeverTrumpers. Lloyd Marcus contributed an article attacking Christians who refuse to jump on the Trump Train as voting for Hillary and religious persecution. Brian Joodeph threatens NeverTrumpers for riding on their “moral high horse.” He promises revenge by “the people” at the polls.

Back on PJ Media, D.C. McAllister doubled down on Simon’s piece by accusing NeverTrumpers of being “morally lazy” for avoiding, rather than confronting a moral dilemma. NeverTrumpers will be morally responsible for every action by Hillary. Rigid moralism is civil cowardice and we are selfishly putting ourselves before others. For McAllister, that a Trump presidency is preferable to a Clinton presidency is settled science. In a separate article, David Solway piles on with further accusations, buried among laughable inaccuracies, that NeverTrumpers are responsible for the end of America. Solway says we can’t criticize Trump because we are all impure, and then he launches a litany of attacks on Hillary for her impurities.

If we are lazy, narcissists, how do they explain Trump and his kids? Do they bear any responsibility if he loses? Trump quit donating to his own campaign. He stopped fundraising. His kids, despite a record of donating to liberal candidates in the past, haven’t put a single dime into their father’s campaign.

All of these last minute, blistering tirades share common threads aside from regurgitating the Trump campaign talking points. They selectively highlight NeverTrumpers that fit their narrative. They lay moral responsibility at the feet of NeverTrumpers for failing to “jump on the Trump Train.” They are not trying to persuade, they are virtue signaling.

When they name NeverTrumpers, they include politicians, like Paul Ryan, who endorsed Trump and still intends to vote for him, and commentators that never used the #NeverTrump hashtag. They focus on names they can easily tie to the political establishment in DC. Beltway insiders, like Bill Kristol, George Will, and Charles Krauthammer, they dismiss as “establishment” and “part of the problem.” Meanwhile, they avoid mentioning NeverTrumpers who don’t fit their “Trump vs the establishment” narrative like Ben Shapiro, Caleb Howe, Leon Wolfe, Steve Deace, Glenn Beck, or Ben Sasse. They never mention Erick Erickson, the original NeverTrumper, because his anti-establishment bona fides are beyond question.

After establishing their “all NeverTrumpers are corrupt establishment insiders” narrative, they make the case NeverTrumpers will be responsible for Trump’s loss, and therefore morally responsible for every evil deed of President Clinton. Did they similarly hold the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists morally responsible for the acts of terrorists because the artists drew pictures of the Muslim prophet? The staff at Charlie Hebdo knew as a consequence of their cartoons, other people were likely to commit terrorist acts. NeverTrumpers know voting for a third party candidate will likely lead to a Clinton presidency. Authentic conservatives only hold the perpetrators responsible, not innocents exercising their rights.

NeverTrumpers were forced, against their will, into a no-win situation. How can we then be morally responsible for the consequences of a decision we never agreed to?

You are kidnapped, bound, and taken to a dark room. You are sitting in front of a table and there is a man pointing a gun at your head. On the table are two pills, one red and one blue. The red pill is cyanide. The blue pill is arsenic. You are told you must take one of the pills or you will be shot. What do you do? Since you are going to die anyway, take the bullet and frustrate their plans. More importantly, who is morally responsible the death? The AlwaysTrumpers claim the kidnap victim is responsible based on the decision they made to take a pill. No. The kidnappers are responsible, regardless of the decision.

Consider the abusive relationship between the GOP and conservatives as a marriage. The GOP just bought a new car they can’t afford despite repeated warnings by conservatives. Now, several months later, we must choose between making the car payment and paying the utility bill. AlwaysTrumpers are saying we will be morally responsible if car is repossessed because we won’t make the payment. Instead, we opt to sell the wedding ring to buy food for the kids. Moral responsibility as to whether the car is repossessed or electricity is cutoff lies exclusively with the one who bought the car, not the one forced into it.

Simon, Davalos, Marcus, Joodeph, McAllister, Solway, and their ilk are morally responsible for Clinton because they coerced us into this situation. We told them as far back as February, we will never vote for him. They nominated him anyway. Even as his team and supporters crowed about every primary poll he led, we pointed to the same polls showing Trump was the only GOP candidate Hillary would defeat. They knew he couldn’t win and still nominated him. They own this disaster.

Curiously, the articles bashing NeverTrump are not even trying to be persuasive. Attacking the people you purportedly want to influence tends to have the opposite effect. Even some ReluctantTrumpers (flip-flop artist Jason Chaffetz, Paul Ryan) are being pilloried for not supporting Trump with enough passion or vigor.

The pressure on the resistance within GOP and conservative circles is unprecedented. There was no cavalcade of articles assailing Republican leaning voters who stayed home 2008 or 2012. In 2016, the group cartoonist Berkeley Breathed refers to as “stormtrumpers” are issuing threats. Erick Erickson, David French, and Ben Shapiro each received numerous death threats. We can practically see the mobs in the streets with pitchforks and torches.

This isn’t about NeverTrump, this is about their need for validation of their moral choice. The articles are a form of virtue-signaling. However, instead of promoting themselves as virtuous, they want to bring others to their level as justification for their decision. They must destroy anyone who fails to make the same moral choice they made. If they forsook their principles while others around them remained true, what does this say about them?

Regardless of the election results, this is the last stand of NeverTrump. Trump enthusiasts will continue to berate them in public and blame them for all that is wrong in the Republic. Unless Trump, or one of his kids, runs again in the future, NeverTrump will cease to exist. Former NeverTrumpers will still be around and involved, but their binding identifier will not be their resistance to Trump. Instead, many will be working to create something new they can be ‘for,’ instead of ‘against.’

http://thenewamericana.com/2016/11/07/last-stand-nevertrump/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Last stand of NeverTrump
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:08:09 am »
I've been NeverTrump for more than 30 years.

Nothing is likely to change it now.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:15:28 am »
I have never been prouder than to have been #NeverTrump for these 16 months.  And I salute all of you on this board who have stayed true to the principle that an undeserving candidate is undeserving, period.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:16:10 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:22:28 am »
I have never been prouder than to have been #NeverTrump for these 16 months.  And I salute all of you on this board who have stayed true to the principle that an undeserving candidate is undeserving, period.

Unfortunately, the OTHER undeserving candidate is going to win. One who will have the Press cover for them.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:05:11 am »
Unfortunately, the OTHER undeserving candidate is going to win. One who will have the Press cover for them.

Thats the fault of those that helped Trump into the nomination and those who refuse to vote to strengthen a third party for 2020.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:07:40 am »

I salute you back, Sir.

you know @sinkspur you'd be a halfway decent person if you'd just compromise your principles and quit being such a Cruz hater. /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 04:36:14 am »

Back at you Sinks

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:59 am »
   I too, want to take this opportunity to Thank my compadres and villains here who have suffered through my agonizing snarkness and made me feel so at Home this Election Cycle, and a very special thanks to our gracious hosts.    Even if a NY Liberal wins tomorrow, I'll be here.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:45:35 am by corbe »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 05:23:21 am »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 05:30:42 am »
Some will abandon their party for principles. Others will abandon their principles for the party.

WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thus explains #nevertrump.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:40:56 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 05:37:17 am »
Some will abandon their party for principles. Others will abandon their principles for the party.

WILSON CHURCHILL

Thus explains #nevertrump.

Wilson Churchill? ;)

#NeverTrumpary/#Never Hillarump

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 05:43:08 am »
Wilson Churchill? ;)

#NeverTrumpary/#Never Hillarump

Blame my spell checker. It will often change words to what it thinks you meant.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:51:50 am »
Blame my spell checker. It will often change words to what it thinks you meant.

*laughing* I couldn't resist, thinking as I do that Churchill probably would have despised Wilson.
(Woodrow, that is.)

Offline kartographer

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 06:33:42 am »
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:04:49 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:34 am »
Thanks for the article...

this is about their need for validation of their moral choice.

Money Line...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline waiyu

• Common sense isn't common to everyone.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 10:01:37 am »
You are kidnapped, bound, and taken to a dark room. You are sitting in front of a table and there is a man pointing a gun at your head. On the table are two pills, one red and one blue. The red pill is cyanide. The blue pill is arsenic. You are told you must take one of the pills or you will be shot. What do you do? Since you are going to die anyway, take the bullet and frustrate their plans. More importantly, who is morally responsible the death? The AlwaysTrumpers claim the kidnap victim is responsible based on the decision they made to take a pill. No. The kidnappers are responsible, regardless of the decision.

Thank You!  This is the best analogy I have heard yet. :amen:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 10:21:19 am »
Thank You!  This is the best analogy I have heard yet. :amen:

The next president is going to either be Hillary or Trump. IMHO Trump is a much better choice. With Trump we get conservative judges, border security and no amnesty. With Hillary we get none of the.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 11:51:05 am »

@sinkspur

Thank you, and to you, too.

Thanks also for being so welcoming to the large influx of TOS refugees.  I sincerely regret the friction that resulted.

Online LMAO

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 11:52:03 am »

@sinkspur

I can't say I'm a #NeverTrumper. During the primary, I did give him an ear. But alot of his past, many recent past, statements and positions, plus his behavior, pulled me away from him. It was little things like liking the Obamacare mandate, subtle support for Universal healthcare,opposition to free trade, more spending, ect ect.  His Heidi Cruz picture tweet also was a warning flag. Not the tweet itself. But the fact that that was his first instinct to any slight. A man has the right to defend himself and his family, of course. But his reactions tend to be more juvenile. Just like mocking a reporter's disability who was critical of him. Besides, I do believe that if he won, he would move more left on a lot of issues. I'm a limited government, free market conservative. I won't vote for candidates who believe the opposite regardless of party affiliation

I've always said that if he were to win and prove me wrong, I would support him in 4 years. So, although I'm not a true never Trumper, I won't be casting a ballot today for him because of the above things I listed
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:53:23 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jpsb

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »
@sinkspur

His Heidi Cruz picture tweet also was a warning flag. Not the tweet itself. But the fact that that was his first instinct to any slight.

Slight correction Donald did not tweet the Heidi picture he retweeted it. Also remember Team Cruz had spent weeks viciously attracting Melania Trump calling her morally unfit to be first lady. I don't like to see family attacked but Cruz attacked first.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:45:12 pm by jpsb »

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 01:47:45 pm »
Straight up lie. 

Cruz never ever attacked melania.  Not once. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 01:51:28 pm »
Slight correction Donald did not tweet the Heidi picture he retweeted it. Also remember Team Cruz had spent weeks viciously attracting Melania Trump calling her morally unfit to be first lady. I don't like to see family attacked but Cruz attacked first.

First off Donny had to retweet the pic because he is such an unoriginal thinker he couldn't come up with himself. Secondly all the Melania stuff came from Liz Mairs Anti-Trump superpac. She hates Ted Cruz as well, but don't let facts get in the way of you demonstrating your ignorance.

Carry on.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »
First off Donny had to retweet the pic because he is such an unoriginal thinker he couldn't come up with himself. Secondly all the Melania stuff came from Liz Mairs Anti-Trump superpac. She hates Ted Cruz as well, but don't let facts get in the way of you demonstrating your ignorance.

Carry on.

Ever get the feeling you're talking to an empty room?

People's capacity to completely & totally ignore things they don't want to hear, in spite of the facts and/or logic, and still  carry on in complete confidence that they are in sole possession of the truth, is one of the things I'm taking away from this election season. Its mind boggling.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »
Ever get the feeling you're talking to an empty room?

People's capacity to completely & totally ignore things they don't want to hear, in spite of the facts and/or logic, and still  carry on in complete confidence that they are in sole possession of the truth, is one of the things I'm taking away from this election season. Its mind boggling.

Trump's true believer core of support is just like him. Little things like telling the truth, common decency and manners just get in the way of getting their way. I won't enable them or Trump.