Author Topic: Evan McMullin Should Not Be Architect of New GOP  (Read 3006 times)

Online corbe

Evan McMullin Should Not Be Architect of New GOP
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:49:00 am »
Evan McMullin Should Not Be Architect of New GOP

By Brian Sikma  |  November 2, 2016, 03:00pm  |  @briansikma

http://theresurgent.com/evan-mcmullin-should-not-be-architect-of-new-gop/

Independent presidential protest candidate Evan McMullin is a decent man and an American patriot, but under no circumstances should his view of conservatism form the basis of a rebuilt Republican Party post-2016, or form the bedrock of a new conservative moment.

There is no question that at time when both major political parties have nominated fundamentally distasteful and deeply flawed candidates, individuals whose basic human decency is open to question based on their previous records and remarks, Evan McMullin is a respectable human being. But while respectable and decent are now – remarkably – enough to fuel a nationwide protest campaign, they are not all that is required to rebuild a GOP that will emerge deeply divided on November 9th.

From social issues to foreign policy issues, and even touching an important fiscal issue, McMullin’s articulation – or lack of articulation – betrays good intentions that are not backed up by concrete principles or policy proposals.

Maggie Gallagher, a social conservative activist, expressed skepticism of McMullin back in August in a piece for National Review Online. Citing his general silence on domestic policy issues, she asserted that the former CIA officer turned Capitol Hill staffer is “not the savior conservatives are hoping for.”

On the life issue, Gallagher pointed out that McMullin’s website was then – and still is – pretty sparse on details even though the candidate declares that, “Our respect for life is the most important measure of our humanity.” Well put, and certainly very much in line with a conservatism that respects the equality of human beings and a belief that government should protect human life. But the only policy specific McMullin embraces is no taxpayer funding for abortion. “A culture that subsidizes abortion on demand runs counter to the fundamental American belief in the potential of every person – it undermines the dignity of mother and child alike,” his platform reads.

A ban on taxpayer funding of abortion is already the law of the land. What is still allowed – and what McMullin is silent about – is the use of taxpayer money to fund the non-abortion operations of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider. That’s a recent debate that McMullin, if interested in proving his pro-life credentials as a serious candidate, could have easily weighed in on. Instead, he has remained silent on his website and a search for news clips and public statements turned up nothing.

Gallagher suggests that McMullin may be seeking “to be a unifier through vagueness, as many consultants would no doubt advise.”

In contrast to his one paragraph statement about the importance of human life, McMullin spends 19 paragraphs outlining his immigration reform plan. The plan is chock full of policy principles that McMullin wants to see implemented after the border is secured. It is a realistic and thoughtful plan – proof that even as a last minute candidate, McMullin can put meat on broad position statements provided the issue is one he cares about.

On another social issue – the hot button topic of the definition of marriage, and who defines it – McMullin has adopted a passive tone. Professing that he personally believes marriage is a union between a man and a woman, McMullin told Bloomberg that he “respects the decision of the [Supreme] Court and I think it is time to move on.” Pressed if perhaps the issue should be resolved at the state level, a position similar to those embraced by Republicans like Sen. Marco Rubio or Sen. Ted Cruz, McMullin again emphasized the matter is settled law: “Ideally, yes, but it has been handled by the Supreme Court, and that’s where it is.”

When queried about whether or not he favors appointing Supreme Court justices who might take the view that Obergefell v. Hodges, the case that forced all states and the federal government to accept same-sex marriage, was decided incorrectly, the nascent candidate said he would not favor those types of judicial nominees.

Sen. Marco Rubio famously said of Obergefell that, “I don’t believe any case law is settled law. Any future Supreme Court can change it.” Promising to nominate strict constructionist judges, the then-presidential candidate told NBC News, “I don’t think the current Constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate marriage. That belongs at the state and local level.”

Rubio wasn’t afraid to use some political capital to defend his position. According to another NBC News story, “Rubio seems unconcerned his positions on social issues might cost him younger voters.” He also pushed back against the argument that supporting the traditional definition of marriage makes someone a bigot.

For his part, Sen. Ted Cruz promoted the idea of an amendment to the Constitution that clarifies that the definition of marriage is settled at the state – not federal – level.

Entire Article at Link Above
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Evan McMullin Should Not Be Architect of New GOP
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:51:21 am »
Who is saying his view should prevail?

One thing is for sure, Trumpism will be dead after Trump loses.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:51:31 am »
    I know there is allot of Evan people here, and I posted this NOT as Cut to the Guy.

I admire the Guy, he's got big cajones to try this-For US.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:53:06 am »

I don't know @sinkspur , maybe the 2012 Republican Nominee, not that it should matter, I agree.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:27 am »
Considering the short amount of time he's had to campaign and attempt to get on the ballot, he's done remarkably well.  I've always been curious as to where he's getting his financial backing? LDS Church??  He came out of nowhere and really is a no one. He's known in UT perhaps, but the rest of the country hasn't really even heard of him...he's got a long way to go.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:12:39 am »
   I don't know @sinkspur , maybe the 2012 Republican Nominee, not that it should matter, I agree.

Do you mean 2020? 

There is no Trump clown car after November 8. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:13:33 am »
Considering the short amount of time he's had to campaign and attempt to get on the ballot, he's done remarkably well.  I've always been curious as to where he's getting his financial backing? LDS Church??  He came out of nowhere and really is a no one. He's known in UT perhaps, but the rest of the country hasn't really even heard of him...he's got a long way to go.

McMullin's not going to win. He gives people of conscience someone to vote for.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:13:55 am by sinkspur »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 02:15:43 am »

Bingo and bingo.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:29:56 am »
McMullin doesn't have a lot of money left, but remember: the Kristol camp said they were going to back someone, so there was a pent-up fund ready to be tapped.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 02:37:52 am »

McMullin's not going to win. He gives people of conscience someone to vote for.

He may win UT and if so, he's made one for the record books and begins to start a path for 3rd parties in future elections.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 02:39:29 am »
Yeah, it should be Donald Trump and his merry band of Orangeshirts.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 05:47:06 am »
    I know there is allot of Evan people here, and I posted this NOT as Cut to the Guy.

I admire the Guy, he's got big cajones to try this-For US.

And he isn't connected to Jeffrey Epstein, Weiner or Huma Abedin.   He doesn't have any sleazy interviews either.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 05:56:21 am »
And he isn't connected to Jeffrey Epstein, Weiner or Huma Abedin.   He doesn't have any sleazy interviews either.

How do we know? He hasn't been vetted in the traditional way......a Primary contest. He just kinda showed up up out of the blue, filed some papers in some states and he all of a sudden he is a "squeaky clean" candidate. I don't buy it.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:10:39 am »
How do we know? He hasn't been vetted in the traditional way......a Primary contest. He just kinda showed up up out of the blue, filed some papers in some states and he all of a sudden he is a "squeaky clean" candidate. I don't buy it.

If the Republican party had given a candidate fit for office nobody would consider the third party.  McMullin claims he got in the race because both candidates suck.  He's right.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 06:31:59 am »
If the Republican party had given a candidate fit for office nobody would consider the third party.  McMullin claims he got in the race because both candidates suck.  He's right.

He's right about that, but where was he when it mattered if he is so great like when the Primaries were going on? I'm personally not that impressed with McMuffin. He's just some dude who figured out he could make a name for himself and get in a few history books by being a protest voters empty vessel.

Online DB

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 07:52:25 am »
He's right about that, but where was he when it mattered if he is so great like when the Primaries were going on? I'm personally not that impressed with McMuffin. He's just some dude who figured out he could make a name for himself and get in a few history books by being a protest voters empty vessel.

Most likely because many Republicans didn't think the Trump circus would win the primary and therefore there was no major cause to jump in earlier.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 12:40:38 pm »

That's enough for me.  We're Americans; we shouldn't have to settle for suck.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »

But he is connected to Rick Wilson, a disqualifier in my book.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 12:48:29 pm »
"A ban on taxpayer funding of abortion is already the law of the land. What is still allowed – and what McMullin is silent about – is the use of taxpayer money to fund the non-abortion operations of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider."

Who audits this to prove that no Federal funds go for abortions?

Bueller..?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
I would hope that the "architects" of a rebuilt conservative GOP would be more like Cruz, Gowdy, et al. None of them is perfect, but we've had enough of Republicans who are indistinguishable from the Democrats on matters of economics and policy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 01:02:47 pm »
We have so many fundamental problems to solve;  I favor pragmatic conservatives who are informed by ideology but committed to the betterment of public policy, not partisan warfare.   

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »
Romney's really stabbing the pro-life movement in the back here.

I supported Romney, I don't blame him for being angry at "conservatives" or "Republicans" that didn't support him.

There needs to be unity.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »
Romney's really stabbing the pro-life movement in the back here.

I supported Romney, I don't blame him for being angry at "conservatives" or "Republicans" that didn't support him.

There needs to be unity.

C'mon, Trump's no pro-lifer; don't be naïve.    I admire the Mormons who recognize a moral cretin when they see him, and refuse to make a deal with the devil like so many evangelical "leaders" have done. 

Trump is a mistake;  he never should have been nominated.   Yes, we need to unify,  but around an honorable agenda and honorable leaders.   In a week the nation will choose between a new Nixon and a new Mussolini.   Count me out,  but after the election I am open to reconciliation and a new resolve to pull conservatism from the wreckage of Trump's clown car.   

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 01:39:34 pm »
We have so many fundamental problems to solve;  I favor pragmatic conservatives who are informed by ideology but committed to the betterment of public policy, not partisan warfare.   

Most of those have been in hiding since the Rise of Trump.

I fall back on one name: Dave Brat.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »
C'mon, Trump's no pro-lifer; don't be naïve.    I admire the Mormons who recognize a moral cretin when they see him, and refuse to make a deal with the devil like so many evangelical "leaders" have done. 

Trump is a mistake;  he never should have been nominated.   Yes, we need to unify,  but around an honorable agenda and honorable leaders.   In a week the nation will choose between a new Nixon and a new Mussolini.   Count me out,  but after the election I am open to reconciliation and a new resolve to pull conservatism from the wreckage of Trump's clown car.   

IMHO, our efforts should be effective primary challenges to most, if not all, Republican Reps & Senators in 2018. Force the Chamber of Commerce and K Street to spend their money during the primaries, and exhaust their resources prior to the general. If there was a viable third party, they'd have a better chance to win in November.

McConnell and Ryan think they have an iron grip on their caucus, we need to shatter that illusion.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:44:33 pm by Night Hides Not »