Author Topic: SEPTA Strike in Philadelphia  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Bunny Watson

SEPTA Strike in Philadelphia
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:15:38 am »
What? No articles about this major story?  I'm living it. The jerks on strike took illegal action today, blocking access to the rail lines, preventing Regional Rail workers (who are on a separate contract) from getting to work, wreaking even more havoc on a crappy public transportation system that's had a terrible year.  The bus drivers make $80,000/year, and they're striking. I have a PhD, and until four years ago I wasn't making $80,000/year!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20161031_SEPTA__union__still_talking_as_possible_strike_looms.html

Update: 12:07 a.m.:

More than 5,000 members of TWU Local 234 are on strike at SEPTA.
From earlier:
With just three hours to go before almost 5,000 transit workers in Philadelphia strike, negotiations have come down to a dispute over pensions, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said.
The union workers are unhappy that their pensions don't grow commensurate to their pay once a worker makes more than $50,000. Managers pensions are uncapped, and members of Transportation Workers Union 234 want their people to also have uncapped pensions, the source said.

While there are other issues at issue, including medical benefits and schedules, it appears a strike that could affect hundreds of thousands of people will be either avoided or begun over the pension question.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: SEPTA Strike in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:37 am »
What? No articles about this major story?  I'm living it. The jerks on strike took illegal action today, blocking access to the rail lines, preventing Regional Rail workers (who are on a separate contract) from getting to work, wreaking even more havoc on a crappy public transportation system that's had a terrible year.  The bus drivers make $80,000/year, and they're striking. I have a PhD, and until four years ago I wasn't making $80,000/year!

First off, move out of Philthy and buy a car. You won't be dependent on union losers to get around other than the ones who built your vehicle. Secondly I have been rooting for this to happen since I saw contract problems arising. Do you realize how this is going to ruin the GOTV for Hitlary next week in her biggest voting areas in the state. This is hilarious.

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:52:08 am »
I don't live there. I work there and I drive to work every day. But now all the people who normally take pubic transportation around the city are driving, thus making three commute pretty miserable.

Second, most Philly voting places are within walking distance. Third, do you think the union will let that happen? They're already taking about a hiatus on election day, should the strike still be going on.

Fourth, while I am personally no fan of public transportation for myself, I sure wish  could get its acct together. Good pt makes it easier for me to live my life. :)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:58:43 am »
I don't live there. I work there and I drive to work every day. But now all the people who normally take pubic transportation around the city are driving, thus making three commute pretty miserable.

Second, most Philly voting places are within walking distance. Third, do you think the union will let that happen? They're already taking about a hiatus on election day, should the strike still be going on.

Fourth, while I am personally no fan of public transportation for myself, I sure wish  could get its acct together. Good pt makes it easier for me to live my life. :)

If you are looking to get out of that mess, I got cheap rental units available now an hour and a half north of you. They are not crack dens, but they have that feel to them. Plenty of jobs too. I saw Yacco's hot dogs hiring part time and the best part? No public transportation to jam you up.

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:07:21 am »
If you are looking to get out of that mess, I got cheap rental units available now an hour and a half north of you. They are not crack dens, but they have that feel to them. Plenty of jobs too. I saw Yacco's hot dogs hiring part time and the best part? No public transportation to jam you up.

Thanks for that completely sincere offer, but I'll pass. I love my job, I love my house, and I love the Philly area even if Philly is a sewer.

I just thought to break up the monotony of Trump said, Hillary said, with a little post about a major news story.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:08:21 am by Bunny Watson »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:06:03 pm »
Interestingly enough, the leftists are saying this is all a Republican conspiracy to thwart the ability of Dindu Nuffin and Kimmie D. Phlatscreen to get out and vote [for Hillary].

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 07:10:37 pm »
Bunny Watson,  I take the Paoli-Thorndale line and was caught up on the maelstrom you describe trying to get home from work.   The TWU union is totally militant and unreasonable,  but I'd still be shocked if the strike isn't settled by election day.   The Dems are, I'd think, petrified that Philly voters won't bother to go to the polls if they are inconvenienced by the SEPTA strike (and we all know that Dem hopes in PA depend on every Philly resident, living and dead, citizen or non-citizen, voting early and often for their candidates).

:seeya:   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »
Bunny Watson,  I take the Paoli-Thorndale line and was caught up on the maelstrom you describe trying to get home from work.   The TWU union is totally militant and unreasonable,  but I'd still be shocked if the strike isn't settled by election day.   The Dems are, I'd think, petrified that Philly voters won't bother to go to the polls if they are inconvenienced by the SEPTA strike (and we all know that Dem hopes in PA depend on every Philly resident, living and dead, citizen or non-citizen, voting early and often for their candidates).

:seeya:

I would be shocked too. They will have this mess cleaned up by midnight Monday.

Offline huldah1776

• Manasseh or Josiah
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 09:17:53 pm »
oops, better call bro and make sure he's ok. Oh that's right, he has to work 16 hr days when they're on strike.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 09:24:25 pm »
I would be shocked too. They will have this mess cleaned up by midnight Monday.

Taking bets? I say Sunday to give the media time to get the word out and show how magnanimous they are before election day.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 01:35:45 pm »
I'm so glad I'm out of the area on vacation. Maybe this will blow over by the time I return!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:41 pm »
I'm so glad I'm out of the area on vacation. Maybe this will blow over by the time I return!

Something blew alright.....

http://6abc.com/traffic/septa-strike-ends;-service-to-be-restored-in-phases-today/1577465/

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:43 pm »
Something blew alright.....

http://6abc.com/traffic/septa-strike-ends;-service-to-be-restored-in-phases-today/1577465/

Late Sunday night the rumblings began, eh?  Service had to get up and rolling today so they'd be back to normal tomorrow. They're so painfully transparent.