Author Topic: Inside One Group's Fight To Turn Out Latino Voters And Stop Trump  (Read 241 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
By Lauren Fox
Published November 1, 2016, 6:00 AM EDT

LAS VEGAS – When 19-year-old Miriam Cadenas knocks doors in North Las Vegas, she will occasionally let the Hispanic voters she's meeting in on a little secret.

“I’m doing this because I can’t vote," Cadenas tells them. "My voice is pretty silent right now, but my voice is protected through you so if I get you to go out to vote and vote for the right people then I might not lose my DACA and I could be less scared of my future and the future of my family.”

Cadenas is a DREAMer, an immigrant who walked across the border illegally when she was 8 years old and can't vote in the upcoming election. She has DACA, a special status that allows her to work and live without immediate fear of deportation, and a list of voters who she's trying to convince to vote for Hillary Clinton.

At 19, she is a soft-spoken and determined paid canvasser for the Immigrant Voters Win super PAC, a new group that's entire objective in 2016 is turning out low-frequency Hispanic voters that other campaigns might usually ignore because they don't reliably show up to the polls...

Read more at: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/inside-one-group-s-fight-to-turn-out-latino-voters-in-nevada-adn-stop-trump
The Republic is lost.