Author Topic: Kasich votes for McCain instead of Trump  (Read 1165 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kasich votes for McCain instead of Trump
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:43 am »
October 31, 2016, 07:32 pm
Kasich votes for McCain instead of Trump

By Neetzan Zimmerman

John Kasich has made good on his vow not to vote for Donald Trump.

The Ohio governor voted today by absentee ballot, writing in the name of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) instead of the Republican presidential nominee.

Kasich voted for the GOP candidates in other contests, according to his spokesman Chris Schrimpf.

The former Republican presidential candidate made his intentions known earlier this month, following the release of a 2005 tape containing audio of Trump making obscene comments about women.

"Donald Trump is a man I cannot and should not support,” Kasich said in a statement, noting that the tape was the last straw in a long list of “words and actions” he did not support.

"I will not vote for a nominee who has behaved in a manner that reflects so poorly on our country,” the governor pledged. "Our country deserves better.”

McCain is not among the write-in candidates certified in the Buckeye State, making Kasich’s vote entirely symbolic.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bolobaby

Re: Kasich votes for McCain instead of Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:20:51 am »
McCain? Seriously?

Oh my. How little we are learning from ANY of this.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:24:25 am »
That says everything you need to know about Kasich - of all the people he could have written in, he chose McCain.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 12:25:35 am »
idiot
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:29 am »
The man would rather throw away his vote than vote for someone who isn't a registered Republican.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:31:04 am »
Well I am not a McCain fan but good for Kasich.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:29 am »
Kasich is the only candidate in this race who has preserved his dignity.  Everybody else folded like $2 suitcases. 

So he voted for McCain.  I voted for McMullin.  Neither can win, but we didn't sully ourselves by backing a moral degenerate.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:39:24 am »
Kasich is the only candidate in this race who has preserved his dignity.  Everybody else folded like $2 suitcases. 

So he voted for McCain.  I voted for McMullin.  Neither can win, but we didn't sully ourselves by backing a moral degenerate.

A good argument could be made that McCain is, at the very least, a moral degenerate.  No dignity there.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 12:40:49 am »
He didn't throw it away.  Right here, right now, he is getting attention and responses to his vote.  He knows McCain won't win.  It is a protest vote with two goals in mind. 

1.  Shape the future.
2.  Follow his own conscience.

I like very little about Kasich.  This does not bother me at all.  I say, good for him.  McCain is not my choice, but I know more about Kasich by noting his choice, and I respect that he is being honest and forthright about it.  What is it to me?  He does not vote in my state.  I cannot affect his state.  Our whole system of government is founded on the right of each individual to make this decision for themselves, uncoerced.  I'm not going to shame anyone for their vote.  It's their vote.  I am only responsible for my own.

Really I do not get why people pile on another person about their vote.  People tried to persuade him.  They couldn't.  So....that's the way it works.

I've voted a number of protest votes in my life, but I wouldn't cast one for someone like McCain.  Not sure what the basis of the protest would be.  I don't want to vote for this icky person so I'm going to write in another icky person? 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:44:29 am »
A good argument could be made that McCain is, at the very least, a moral degenerate.  No dignity there.

So make it.  I dare you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 12:44:51 am »
More degenerate than Trump?  Uh..no.  McCain is too liberal for me.  But he is honest.  He is not trying to scam everyone.  He doesn't insult and slander people.  There isn't even a close contest.  Trump is more degenerate.

@RAT Patrol, I'm a bit stunned here.  You are usually right on target, but, apparently you've forgotten what a whacko bird McCain is.  Now, maybe not to the level of our current two nominees, but not someone you would chose to write in when there are respectable, honest options. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:11 am »
So make it.  I dare you.

Like a double-dog dare? 

McCain became embroiled in a scandal during the 1980s, as one of five United States senators comprising the so-called Keating Five.[98] Between 1982 and 1987, McCain had received $112,000 in lawful[99] political contributions from Charles Keating Jr. and his associates at Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, along with trips on Keating's jets[98] that McCain belatedly repaid, in 1989.[100] In 1987, McCain was one of the five senators whom Keating contacted in order to prevent the government's seizure of Lincoln, and McCain met twice with federal regulators to discuss the government's investigation of Lincoln.[98] In 1999, McCain said: "The appearance of it was wrong. It's a wrong appearance when a group of senators appear in a meeting with a group of regulators, because it conveys the impression of undue and improper influence. And it was the wrong thing to do."[101] In the end, McCain was cleared by the Senate Ethics Committee of acting improperly or violating any law or Senate rule, but was mildly rebuked for exercising "poor judgment".[99][101] In his 1992 re-election bid, the Keating Five affair was not a major issue,[102] and he won handily, gaining 56 percent of the vote to defeat Democratic community and civil rights activist Claire Sargent and independent former governor, Evan Mecham.[103].....

McCain developed a reputation for independence during the 1990s.[104] He took pride in challenging party leadership and establishment forces, becoming difficult to categorize politically.[104]

As a member of the 1991–1993 Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs, chaired by fellow Vietnam War veteran and Democrat, John Kerry, McCain investigated the Vietnam War POW/MIA issue, to determine the fate of U.S. service personnel listed as missing in action during the Vietnam War.[105] The committee's unanimous report stated there was "no compelling evidence that proves that any American remains alive in captivity in Southeast Asia."[106] Helped by McCain's efforts, in 1995 the U.S. normalized diplomatic relations with Vietnam.[107] McCain was vilified by some POW/MIA activists who, unlike the Arizona senator, believed large numbers of Americans were still held against their will in Southeast Asia.[107][108][109] Since January 1993, McCain has been Chairman of the International Republican Institute, an organization partly funded by the U.S. Government that supports the emergence of political democracy worldwide.[110]

In 1993 and 1994, McCain voted to confirm President Clinton's nominees Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg whom he considered to be qualified for the U.S. Supreme Court. He would later explain that "under our Constitution, it is the president's call to make."[111] McCain had also voted to confirm nominees of Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, including Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas.[112]

McCain attacked what he saw as the corrupting influence of large political contributions – from corporations, labor unions, other organizations, and wealthy individuals – and he made this his signature issue.[113] Starting in 1994, he worked with Democratic Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold on campaign finance reform; their McCain–Feingold bill attempted to put limits on "soft money".[113] The efforts of McCain and Feingold were opposed by some of the moneyed interests targeted, by incumbents in both parties, by those who felt spending limits impinged on free political speech and might be unconstitutional as well, and by those who wanted to counterbalance the power of what they saw as media bias.[113][114] Despite sympathetic coverage in the media, initial versions of the McCain–Feingold Act were filibustered and never came to a vote.[115]

In 1997, McCain became chairman of the powerful Senate Commerce Committee; he was criticized for accepting funds from corporations and businesses under the committee's purview, but in response said the small contributions he received were not part of the big-money nature of the campaign finance problem.[113] McCain took on the tobacco industry in 1998, proposing legislation that would increase cigarette taxes in order to fund anti-smoking campaigns, discourage teenage smokers, increase money for health research studies, and help states pay for smoking-related health care costs.[113][122] Supported by the Clinton administration but opposed by the industry and most Republicans, the bill failed to gain cloture.[122]

In May 2001, McCain was one of only two Senate Republicans to vote against the Bush tax cuts.[153][154]

He and Democratic senator Joe Lieberman wrote the legislation that created the 9/11 Commission,[161] while he and Democratic senator Fritz Hollings co-sponsored the Aviation and Transportation Security Act that federalized airport security.[162]

In March 2002, McCain–Feingold, officially known as the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002, passed in both Houses of Congress and was signed into law by President Bush.[115][153] Seven years in the making, it was McCain's greatest legislative achievement.[153][163]

McCain was a strong supporter of the Bush administration's position.[153] He stated that Iraq was "a clear and present danger to the United States of America", and voted accordingly for the Iraq War Resolution in October 2002.[153] He predicted that U.S. forces would be treated as liberators by a large number of the Iraqi people.[164] In May 2003, McCain voted against the second round of Bush tax cuts, saying it was unwise at a time of war.[154] By November 2003, after a trip to Iraq, he was publicly questioning Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, saying that more U.S. troops were needed; the following year, McCain announced that he had lost confidence in Rumsfeld.[165][166]

In October 2003, McCain and Lieberman co-sponsored the Climate Stewardship Act that would have introduced a cap and trade system aimed at returning greenhouse gas emissions to 2000 levels; the bill was defeated with 55 votes to 43 in the Senate.[167] They reintroduced modified versions of the Act two additional times, most recently in January 2007 with the co-sponsorship of Barack Obama, among others.[168]

In the 2004 U.S. presidential election campaign, McCain was once again frequently mentioned for the vice-presidential slot, only this time as part of the Democratic ticket under nominee John Kerry.[169][170][171] McCain said that Kerry had never formally offered him the position and that he would not have accepted it if he had.[170][171][172] At the 2004 Republican National Convention, McCain supported Bush for re-election, praising Bush's management of the War on Terror since the September 11 attacks.[173] At the same time, he defended Kerry's Vietnam war record.[174] By August 2004, McCain had the best favorable-to-unfavorable rating (55 percent to 19 percent) of any national politician;[173] he campaigned for Bush much more than he had four years previously, though the two remained situational allies rather than friends.[155]

Working with Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy, McCain was a strong proponent of comprehensive immigration reform, which would involve legalization, guest worker programs, and border enforcement components. The Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act was never voted on in 2005, while the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 passed the Senate in May 2006 but failed in the House.[166] In June 2007, President Bush, McCain, and others made the strongest push yet for such a bill, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007, but it aroused intense grassroots opposition among talk radio listeners and others, some of whom furiously characterized the proposal as an "amnesty" program,[178] and the bill twice failed to gain cloture in the Senate.[179]

Owing to his time as a POW, McCain has been recognized for his sensitivity to the detention and interrogation of detainees in the War on Terror. In October 2005, McCain introduced the McCain Detainee Amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill for 2005, and the Senate voted 90–9 to support the amendment.[183] It prohibits inhumane treatment of prisoners, including prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, by confining military interrogations to the techniques in the U.S. Army Field Manual on Interrogation. Although Bush had threatened to veto the bill if McCain's amendment was included,[184] the President announced in December 2005 that he accepted McCain's terms and would "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad".[185] This stance, among others, led to McCain being named by Time magazine in 2006 as one of America's 10 Best Senators.[186] McCain voted in February 2008 against a bill containing a ban on waterboarding,[187] which provision was later narrowly passed and vetoed by Bush. However, the bill in question contained other provisions to which McCain objected, and his spokesman stated: "This wasn't a vote on waterboarding. This was a vote on applying the standards of the [Army] field manual to CIA personnel."[187]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

There's more, but that should get you started.  Let me know if you have questions.

I'm not going to post the personal stuff; read about it if you like.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 01:24:48 am »
Like a double-dog dare? 

There's more, but that should get you started.  Let me know if you have questions.

Political disagreements do not equal moral degeneracy.    But, you have your position.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 01:32:47 am »

Yup, the only one.  I'm proud I supported him.   McCain?   That's cool.   A hero,  a man unafraid to stand up what he thinks is right,  a man with a old-fashioned sense of public service.   

We're entering a dark time,  and men like Kasich (and McCain)  are mocked for wanting this nation to be a beacon again.   If the most my vote can get me is Trump or Clinton,  what's the downside to throwing it away?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:33:13 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 01:36:39 am »
Here are the 18 presidential and vice presidential candidates certified as write-ins in Ohio:

•   James Jerome Bell and Scheem Milton Hempstead
•   Michael Bickelmeyer and Robert Young
•   Darrell L. Castle and Scott N. Bradley
•   Cherunda Fox and Roger Kushner
•   Ben Hartnell and Dave Marshall
•   Tom Hoefling and Steve Schulin
•   Bruce Jaynes and Roger W. Stewart
•   Chris Keniston and Deacon Taylor
•   Barry Kirschner and Rick Menefield
•   Laurence Kotlikoff and Edward Leamer
•   Joseph Maldonado and Douglas Terranova
•   Michael Andrew Maturen and Juan Antonio Munoz
•   Evan McMullin and Nathan Johnson
•   Monica Moorehead and Lamont Lilly
•   Joe Schriner and Joe Moreaux
•   Mike Smith and Daniel White
•   Josiah R. Stroh and Paul Callahan
•   Douglas W. Thomson and Thomas A. Ducro Jr.

Hmmmmm................ it would have been far more effective if Kasich had written in one of the certified candidates here in Ohio.

That's what I'm doing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 02:19:35 am »
Kasich votes for McCain?

Two peas in the same pod.

Fitting.

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 04:34:16 am »
That says everything you need to know about Kasich - of all the people he could have written in, he chose McCain.

I kind of think that he took it as an insult when Trump told the world that he didn't think McCain was a hero.  Because Trump didn't like people who were captured.

So he decided to remind people of it with his vote.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 04:43:18 am »
Like a double-dog dare? 

Top Notch @Sanguine

McCain is a generally bad guy and his thieving wife isn't much better. Once again none of them did jail time when anyone outside of DC would be doing perp walks for the same activity.