Author Topic: Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton Should Be Shamed Out of Office  (Read 5046 times)

Offline sinkspur

Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton Should Be Shamed Out of Office
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:39:30 am »
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a45609/tom-cotton-block-dying-appointee/

Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton Should Be Shamed Out of Office

He weaponized a dying woman's final days.

BY CHARLES P. PIERCE

JUN 7, 2016

Because of all the noise at the top of the news, a weekend column from Frank Bruni in The New York Times hasn't received nearly as much attention as it deserves. We note it here because it involves Senator Tom Cotton, the bobble-throated pen-pal of the mullahs from the state of Arkansas, who is somebody at the top of everyone's list of potential Republican saviors if the Trumpageddon really does befall the party.

Some people are ideologues. Some people are charlatans. Some people are opportunists. And some people are simply raging, flaming holes of pure ass. As Bruni's column makes clear, at least in the case of Tom Cotton, these categories are far from mutually exclusive.

The column tells the story of a woman named Cassandra Butts, who recently passed away from leukemia at the age of 50. In 2014, prior to her diagnosis, the president proposed to name Butts the U.S. ambassador to the Bahamas—which sounds to these ears anyway to be a pretty sweet gig. That was when the nonsense began. First, Tailgunner Ted Cruz put a hold on all nominations because he was upset with the deal the president cut with Iran, and because the Tailgunner is an unlikable algae of a human being. Later, our man Cotton jumped in and slapped a hold on Butts and a couple of other nominees for ambassadorships.

Let's let Bruni tell the tale from there. From the Times:

[Cotton] had a legitimate gripe with the Obama administration over a Secret Service leak of private information about a fellow member of Congress, and he was trying to pressure Obama to take punitive action. But that issue was unrelated to Butts and the Bahamas. Cotton eventually released the two other holds, but not the one on Butts. She told me that she once went to see him about it, and he explained that he knew that she was a close friend of Obama's—the two first encountered each other on a line for financial-aid forms at Harvard Law School, where they were classmates—and that blocking her was a way to inflict special pain on the president.

(By the way, according to Bruni, Cotton's office basically confirmed Butts's account of their meeting, but the coatholders also made sure Bruni knew that Cotton "had enormous respect for her and her career." Yeah, blow me, Gomer.)

Tom Cotton weaponized a dying woman's final days in order to "inflict special pain" on the president. Tom Cotton is a petty, sadistic swine who has the basic conscience of a cholera outbreak. He should be shamed from office, and he should be shunned by decent people.

God, I hope there's a hell, and that it's as advertised by Dante.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton Should Be Shamed Out of Office
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:54 am »
I had never heard about this, but it confirms for me what I've always suspected about Cotton, that he is a colossal bleep.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:48:59 am »
https://www.conservativereview.com/members/tom-cotton/liberty-card/

I wouldn't kick him out if for no other reason than to spite the creep that wrote this hate column.  But not living in Arkansas, I have no say.

He wants to run for president. I wouldn't spit on him after learning this about his vengefulness.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:52:40 am »
https://www.conservativereview.com/members/tom-cotton/liberty-card/

I wouldn't kick him out if for no other reason than to spite the creep that wrote this hate column.  But not living in Arkansas, I have no say.

====================

sink be luvin him some 'squire ..

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:52:44 am »
Tom Cotton weaponized a dying woman's final days in order to "inflict special pain" on the president. Tom Cotton is a petty, sadistic swine who has the basic conscience of a cholera outbreak. He should be shamed from office, and he should be shunned by decent people.

Should I care about Cassandra Butts cause she was dying?  What entitles her to an embassy. This ambassadorships was a give away to a friend of the President.  I won't condemn Cotton for this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:54:06 am by Once-Ler »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:52 am »

Should I care about Cassandra Butts cause she was dying?  What entitles her to an embassy. This ambassadorships was a give away to a friend of the President.  I won't condemn Cotton for this.

As all ambassadorships are.  Cotton is petty, especially since he released two other holds he had and he didn't contest that he did this to slam Obama.

He can kiss my ass.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 03:07:16 am »
Why was she getting the position if she was dying?  Anyway, dying is very sad, but it does not afford you special political privileges.  Maybe I'm cold, too.  But I don' t have a problem with it.  I wasn't there.  Obama is just as spiteful, so....on this one I'll side with Cotton. 

I don't have strong feelings about Cotton one way or the other.  I do think Bruni is a jerk, and this column doesn't seem remotely fair.  IMO, they care about the stats in the senate, not the dying woman.  I think Arkansas should keep Cotton.

She wasn't getting the ambassadorship because she was dying. She was getting it because Obama wanted her to get it and Cotton got his BVDs all wedgied up. 

That's the problem with the GOP and why so many people hate it. It's full of spiteful, petty jerks.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 04:42:56 am »
Tom Cotton rocks!  This is the best shot the left could come up with?  Why insult the Bahamans by sending them an ambassador that would be dead within a year or two?  That's really the way to build relationships.  Ya think?

I will take Cotton over 95% of the US Senate.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 04:49:39 am »
Sink, you and i align pretty well most of the time on issues, but any time we have someone in GOP fight back the dim slime machine, i got to give them (Cotton) props.  This article wreaks of leftist bias.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:05:09 am »
As all ambassadorships are.  Cotton is petty, especially since he released two other holds he had and he didn't contest that he did this to slam Obama.

He can kiss my ass.

So it finally comes out. You are a Leftist hack. This is the type of hit piece that DU masturbates over. Cotton was doing his job here and it is irrelevant that the woman was dying. He didn't stop her from getting medical care. He kept her from getting some gravy gig in the Caribbean.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
Typical leftist hitpiece from Esquire.

Tom Cotton is a good guy.

The writer is a Liberal hack.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »
Typical leftist hitpiece from Esquire.

Tom Cotton is a good guy.

The writer is a Liberal hack.

Charlie Pierce is a former sportswriter who is now a darling of the left. Before the Online Crosby Center was terminated by the Spokesman Review and the administration of Gonzaga University, one prolific lib poster remarked on nearly every screed published by Pierce. Anytime I see Charlie's byline, I turn away.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline beandog

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
She wasn't getting the ambassadorship because she was dying. She was getting it because Obama wanted her to get it and Cotton got his BVDs all wedgied up. 

That's the problem with the GOP and why so many people hate it. It's full of spiteful, petty jerks.
Yes, because the RAT party isn't full of spiteful, petty jerks. :thud:  I think you're hate is clouding your judgment.  When you start aligning with liberals that is what you become.  :shrug:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 01:44:53 pm »
When the President deliberately turns a blind eye to illegal executive branch harassment of members of Congress, holding up cushy ambassadorships not essential to national security is a perfectly appropriate response.  Regardless of whether or not the nominee was ill.

The vast majority of Americans who are that ill aren't entitled to a taxpayer-funded vacation to the Bahamas.  Why should she get one?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:45:19 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 01:49:25 pm »
So it finally comes out. You are a Leftist hack. This is the type of hit piece that DU masturbates over. Cotton was doing his job here and it is irrelevant that the woman was dying. He didn't stop her from getting medical care. He kept her from getting some gravy gig in the Caribbean.

Cotton's an ahole for singling this woman out (he knew her and freed up the nominations of two others). 

Nothing leftist about calling out a basic lack of human decency over a fit of pique.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 01:50:49 pm »
I had never heard about this, but it confirms for me what I've always suspected about Cotton, that he is a colossal bleep.

Seems to me more like Charles Pierce, whomever he is, is the malignant bleep.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:21 pm »
Sink, you and i align pretty well most of the time on issues, but any time we have someone in GOP fight back the dim slime machine, i got to give them (Cotton) props.  This article wreaks of leftist bias.

Not the only article about this:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/06/06/tom-cotton-todays-worst-person-in-the-world

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/opinion/an-obama-nominees-crushed-hopes.html?_r=0

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 01:53:40 pm »
Yes, because the RAT party isn't full of spiteful, petty jerks. :thud:  I think you're hate is clouding your judgment.  When you start aligning with liberals that is what you become.  :shrug:

Cotton's the hater. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »
Why was she getting the position if she was dying?  Anyway, dying is very sad, but it does not afford you special political privileges.  Maybe I'm cold, too.  But I don' t have a problem with it.  I wasn't there.  Obama is just as spiteful, so....on this one I'll side with Cotton. 

I don't have strong feelings about Cotton one way or the other.  I do think Bruni is a jerk, and this column doesn't seem remotely fair.  IMO, they care about the stats in the senate, not the dying woman.  I think Arkansas should keep Cotton.

Theres talk Cotton is setting himself up for a run in 2020. Looks like some interested parties would like to get a jump on taking him out.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:39 pm »
Theres talk Cotton is setting himself up for a run in 2020. Looks like some interested parties would like to get a jump on taking him out.

He is setting himself up for a run.  This won't look good on his resume.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:00 pm »
Not the only article about this:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/06/06/tom-cotton-todays-worst-person-in-the-world

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/opinion/an-obama-nominees-crushed-hopes.html?_r=0

You keep digging your Leftist hole deeper Sink. Let look into those links you cited to convince us this is really a mainstream story and not wacko Liberal bilge....

This AR blog writers bio:

Max Brantley

Bio:
I was editor of the Times from its inception as a weekly in May 1992 until July 1, 2011. I still write a weekly column and I spend most of my time writing the Arkansas Blog. I was born in Louisiana, went to college in Virginia and California and worked almost 19 years at the Arkansas Gazette before coming to the Times. In addition to politics, I like food, travel, cooking and griping. I'm a liberal. If you don't like it, sign on the Arkansas Blog and give me hell.

As for the NY Times piece.......it's a NY Times piece.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:37 pm »
Attacking the messenger is the refuge of those who can't argue with the facts.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:24 pm »

Like hell. The messengers of this story are the issue. I am telling you that you are a Leftist hack. You do nothing but spam the boards 24/7 with your anti Trump shit, most of which are sourced from outlets most Republicans and Conservatives never heard of because they are so fringe Left.

I also find it amusing that you are wrapping yourself up in emotions politics because the woman was sick and you are disregarding the actual reason Cotton put a stop to this nonsense. Your insane posts on this topic mirror almost any random post at DU.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »

Facts? It's an opinion piece.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »
He wants to run for president. I wouldn't spit on him after learning this about his vengefulness.

Uhhh.....you're sounding a bit vengeful yourself there, sink. 

Here's my take on it.  Anything anyone can do to 'upset' that POS Obama's applecart is A-OK with me.  That's MY version of vengeful.  Obama deserves to be upset considering the damage he has already done to this nation and STILL IS doing to this nation. 

If the only thing you have against Cotton is this lameazz deed....keeping a Harvard bud and fellow elitist of Obama's from becoming an ambassador....I say give the man an award. 

As for Cassandra's loss of a career all because of Cotton.....cry me a friggin river.  The only reason Obama even knew her in the first damned place is because she's one of "Holder's people".  Special, you know.  That speclal shade that Barry loves....(anything but a whitey).  That she was also a civil rights activist makes her ....in my book....unqualified to be an ambassador to ANY nation representing the USA due to the extreme bias her "thinking" represents.

Cassandra Quin Butts was an American lawyer, policy expert, and Deputy White House counsel. On December 23, 2008, Butts was selected by President-elect Obama to serve as Deputy White House Counsel, focusing on domestic policy and ethics. She was also on the advisory board for then-president-elect Barack Obama's presidential transition team. She stepped down as Deputy White House Counsel in November 2009 and served as Senior Advisor in the Office of the Chief Executive Officer at the Millennium Challenge Corporation. In February 2014, Obama nominated her to be the ambassador to the Bahamas, but by February 1, 2015, the Senate had not confirmed her to the post. She was re-nominated to the position on February 5, 2015.

No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.