Author Topic: Ex-Justice official: FBI now Trump's political football  (Read 721 times)

Offline sinkspur

Ex-Justice official: FBI now Trump's political football
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:14:34 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/10/30/clinton-emails-james-comey-investigation-column/93026328/

Ex-Justice official: FBI now Trump's political football

Philip B. Heymann
8:55 p.m. EDT October 30, 2016

There is no justification for announcing wholly unsubstantiated suspicions without evidence.

FBI Director James Comey has told congressional leaders that in an unrelated investigation, his agents found emails that might somehow be relevant to claims Comey had earlier rejected — claims that Hillary Clinton had committed a crime. What should the country make of this? The short answer is that as of now, Comey’s communique signifies nothing, although it is fueling political bombast.

It is of course possible that there will be evidence against any political leader in the future, and it will be the role of the FBI to investigate this evidence without bias. Whether it is a future question about Clinton, or whether it is a question such as those that have been raised about Donald Trump, there is no justification for announcing wholly unsubstantiated suspicions without evidence.

Comey himself wrote to his agency that “we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of e-mails.” In other words, we simply have no way of knowing whether any emails have any relevance to any previous investigation. In that context, the director’s message to Congress cannot sensibly influence anyone’s choice between candidates.

Beyond that, the statement violated written traditions and rules of the Justice Department under both Republican and Democratic administrations. The policies are designed to prevent prosecutors or agents from needlessly interfering in a pending election, and to assure that agents do not unnecessarily release investigative evidence or steps that are harmful to the reputation or privacy of any individual against whom there is too little evidence for a criminal charge.

These rules are important. My views are shaped by having served in the Justice Department under four administrations. I oversaw the FBI as deputy attorney general, collaborated closely with it as assistant attorney general for the criminal division, and served in the Watergate Special Prosecutor’s Office before that. I brought prosecutions against corrupt congressmen of both parties. I understand independence and what it requires.

Most of the reasons for these rules are clear requirements of basic fairness, but one reason may not be so obvious. The policies keep the FBI in a world of investigations and rules in which it has expertise, and out of a world of politics where its reputation will surely be exploited, as it has been in this case. What we are seeing is the predictable cost of violating these rules: Trump’s purposeful transformation of limited statements into charges of crime that the FBI did not and could not legally make.

No announcement should have been made about the FBI possibly reviewing new emails until their content, significance, and relevance were established, and unless their discovery provided some basis for reconsidering the director’s prior very clear and public judgment that no responsible prosecutor would treat Clinton’s handling of her emails as a crime. That these standards were not met, and that the FBI does not even claim they were met, are clear signals that no voter should be influenced by the director’s announcement or the way Clinton’s opponents are spinning it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HAPPY2BME

Re: Ex-Justice official: FBI now Trump's political football
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
If TRUMP does nothing else,He sure has bought out the RINOS and there are more than I thought.

Dont know where the ELECTED and REPUBLICAN leaders are hiding but they sure have not HELPED THE VERY BASE THAT THEY WILL NEED TO KEEP THEIR JOBS.

I will not VOTE FOR ANY THAT HAVE NOT SUPPORTED TRUMP. Its like being a CUBS FAN BUT WEARING A INDIANS SHIRT. I dont think they know how much DAMAGE THEY ARE DOING TO THE REPUBLICAN VOTERS.

It is amazing how TRUMP HAS BEATEN ALL THE RINOS THEY THREW AT HIM,AND IS ABOUT TO BEAT THE CLINTON CRIME FAMILY WITHOUT ANY REPUBLICAN PARTY HELP.

How many RINOS do you think will be going home after Trump is sworn in as president?

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:19 am »
LBJ's Solicitor General concerned about improprieties at the FBI. You have done great work, but based on his bio, I can't get excited about his opinion.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:12:13 am »
If TRUMP does nothing else,He sure has bought out the RINOS and there are more than I thought.

Dont know where the ELECTED and REPUBLICAN leaders are hiding but they sure have not HELPED THE VERY BASE THAT THEY WILL NEED TO KEEP THEIR JOBS.

I will not VOTE FOR ANY THAT HAVE NOT SUPPORTED TRUMP. Its like being a CUBS FAN BUT WEARING A INDIANS SHIRT. I dont think they know how much DAMAGE THEY ARE DOING TO THE REPUBLICAN VOTERS.

It is amazing how TRUMP HAS BEATEN ALL THE RINOS THEY THREW AT HIM,AND IS ABOUT TO BEAT THE CLINTON CRIME FAMILY WITHOUT ANY REPUBLICAN PARTY HELP.

How many RINOS do you think will be going home after Trump is sworn in as president?

LOL!  Trump needs those Republicans to get anything done, if, indeed, he manages to squeeze into the White House.

They have all the leverage over him and he will do what they tell him to do or he will get NOTHING.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:28:38 am »

They were just a bunch of Indies sitting on the fence that probably voted for Obama, at least once

Trump tapped into their Anger just like that aforementioned fellow.   A hard argument would be who has destroyed the GOP more, Trump or Obama (though he destroyed the rat party, also).

If it weren't for Republican voters your boy would have no chance at all, They Vote GOP just like they did for McCain and mostly for Romney.

Not many, I would propose, the Dem's always stay on in Washington DC these days and this time they won't have to pretend to be anything other than what they are-Liberals.

Meet the new boss, same as the ol boss.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.