Author Topic: Worst Case Scenario--Email Scandal  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
Worst Case Scenario--Email Scandal
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:27:38 pm »
Here's my worst case scenario. Please tell me what you think.

There's obviously some "there" there or Comey would never have reopened the investigation this close to the election. 

The investigation continues through mid-November, and the election takes place as scheduled.  It has to.  We don't know at that point where it's going.  Hillary wins the popular vote, with few irregularities that are investigated and resolved.

In mid or late November, the FBI releases its findings, and there's a smoking gun.  Could be pay to play, could be something else, but it ties directly to Hillary and/or Bill.  In any case, she is fatally and irretrievably flawed by the investigation and has to step aside. The Electoral College meets in December.  Again, it has to.  The electors, in many cases, are still bound to vote for Hillary.  Many state laws require it.  If they break faith, their vote is invalidated.  After the Electoral College meets, no candidate has 270 electoral votes, so the election is thrown to the House.  At that point, each state gets one vote, and whoever gets 26 votes wins. 

How do you see this playing out?  Who wins and why?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:29:08 pm by Major Confusion »
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Worst Case Scenario--Email Scandal
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 02:02:46 am »
First off, if the candidate withdraws before the electors vote, the electors are either no longer bound or are bound to whomever is named as the replacement, and the states have no legal authority to invalidate a vote that a faithless elector casts anyway—they can demand a pledge, and punish after the fact, but they can't technically force the vote. (The Electoral College is technically a federal convention/office, over which states have no direct authority.)

The worst case scenario is that the Hillary electors, all loyal Democrats, scatter, while Democrats take the Senate. If McMullin swoops in and takes Utah, that scattering would effectively rob him of any chance of being in the vote with only 6 electoral votes. So that would leave the House GOP basically forced to back Trump over two Democrat choices. That would mean, if Trump realizes the Presidency isn't what he thought it would be and resigns, he'd end up handing over the Presidency to Democrat Tim Kaine.

Anyway, Hillary's not resigning. Let's get that notion out of our heads. The only way she's not becoming President if elected is if she dies.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline montanajoe

Re: Worst Case Scenario--Email Scandal
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:38:10 am »
The FBI nor any other gubment institution works that fast. A year from now would be the record setting, more like 2 years...