Author Topic: He wore a Trump hat and ‘deplorables’ shirt to vote. Texas police arrested him.  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Katie Mettler
The Washington Post
October 28, 2016

Brett Bartlett Mauthe arrived at his Texas polling place Monday morning ready to vote.

It was the first day of early voting in Bulverde, a tiny town 30 minutes north of San Antonio.

On his head he wore a hat supporting GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, Mauthe told KSAT 12 News. His T-shirt read “basket of deplorables,” a reference to a comment Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton made about Trump’s supporters.

Mauthe was stopped before he could cast his ballot.

According to the election code, not just in Texas but in many other jurisdictions across the country, campaigning for or promoting a political candidate within a designated space around a polling place is prohibited. In Comal County, that’s 100 feet. The crime is electioneering, reported the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, a class C misdemeanor...

A Texas county switched briefly to paper ballots this week after voting machines flipped one woman’s straight Republican ballot to a vote for Clinton. A Facebook post about it went viral, fueling more concerns among Trump supporters.

But Shannon Lacked, elections administrator for that county, told CNN Thursday the ballot flip was not nefarious, and allegations of fraud are unfounded...

Full article

Offline Resp3

Katie Mettler
The Washington Post
October 28, 2016

Full article

Even though there's probably not a single dem in Bulverde - the law is the law. Always has been. How could he not know this.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Even though there's probably not a single dem in Bulverde - the law is the law. Always has been. How could he not know this.
Well look at who he went to vote for... :laugh:  Just kidding...

Just a reminder folks check your local election law for the legality of these actions, ballot selfies, and other stupidity before you attempt. Hold my beer I gotta got vote is not the best strategy.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

I don't know. He sounds stupid:

Mauthe was asked by poll workers to remove the Trump hat, and he complied, the man told KSAT 12 News. But when they asked him to turn his “deplorables” T-shirt inside out, he refused.

“He wanted to take a stand,” Bulverde Police Chief Gary Haecker told the Herald-Zeitung. “Unfortunately, he was arrested.”

Offline Resp3

Well look at who he went to vote for... :laugh:  Just kidding...

Just a reminder folks check your local election law for the legality of these actions, ballot selfies, and other stupidity before you attempt. Hold my beer I gotta got vote is not the best strategy.

How about I spray myself all orange and waltz into the polling station? Would that be too over the top?

Conversely, I could stumble in - look at the polling workers all cross-eyed - and see what happens.

Offline bolobaby

Yep - you can't do this. I guess some Trumpettes don't know or want to follow the rules.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

rangerrebew

Trump voter arrested over 'Deplorables' T-shirt
Posted By -NO AUTHOR- On 10/28/2016 @ 2:52 pm In APP Frontpage,Diversions,Front Page,Politics,U.S. | No Comments

A Donald Trump voter in Texas was arrested on a charge of “electioneering” on Monday after showing up at the polls wearing a pro-Trump hat and a T-shirt bearing Hillary Clinton’s infamous comment about half of Trump supporters being “a basket of deplorables.”

Brett Mauthe, 55, was arrested in Bulverde, Texas, after refusing a request from poll workers to turn his shirt inside out.

Article printed from WND: http://www.wnd.com

URL to article: http://www.wnd.com/2016/10/trump-voter-arrested-for-deplorables-t-shirt/

rangerrebew

However, democrats registering dead voters is no problem. :whistle:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
San Antonio is extremely Liberal. Not surprised at all this happened in that area. Bulvarde is a suburb.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline raml

If Hillary could go and campaign at a voting booth area so what if a Trump person just wears a cap and shirt. Why wasn't she arrested? Hopefully she will eventually be arrested after Trump is elected president. Certainly don't want corrupt Obama to try and pardon her.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
If Hillary could go and campaign at a voting booth area so what if a Trump person just wears a cap and shirt. Why wasn't she arrested? Hopefully she will eventually be arrested after Trump is elected president. Certainly don't want corrupt Obama to try and pardon her.

@raml

Do you have a link for that?  I did see video of her making a stop at a NC early voting location. I saw the Gateway Pundit piece and others claiming that she broke election laws but also saying/conceding that it was not clear if she had gone within the designated buffer zone.

FWIW it is not illegal for a politician or their supporters to make campaign appearances or do electioneering at voting locations as long as they do not do it within the buffer area (which varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction – 50ft, 100ft, etc. from the entrance) or within the actual voting place. Not defending Clinton, but just saying.

But as long as I’ve been voting (since 1979) it has always been the case wherever I’ve lived, that wearing campaign gear – hats, buttons, tee shirts, etc. promoting a candidate or pro or con for a ballot question, inside the polling place, has always been illegal.

He was fine with taking off the hat but refused the request to turn his tee shirt inside out. And it was his refusal to comply with the law is what got him arrested.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Why the hell did they put electioneering in scare quotes?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink