Author Topic: WikiLeaks: Emails Show Clinton Camp Shocked by Private Server  (Read 912 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
WikiLeaks: Emails Show Clinton Camp Shocked by Private Server
Thursday, October 27, 2016 02:01 PM

The latest batch of hacked emails from Hillary Clinton's campaign highlights her staff's shock and anger after news broke that she used a private email server as secretary of state.

The emails were among those released Thursday by WikiLeaks. The group has been releasing thousands of stolen emails from Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta.

In one email, Neera Tanden, now a member of Clinton's transition team, questioned whether the person who told Clinton she could use private email has "been drawn and quartered."

In another, Podesta asks campaign manager Robby Mook if he had "any idea of the depth of this story." Mook replied: "Nope." He said that email issue had been raised before, but they "were told that everything was taken care of."

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=755662

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: WikiLeaks: Emails Show Clinton Camp Shocked by Private Server
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
This seems a bit disingenuous.  Weren't they communicating with her through that address?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:15:49 pm »
This seems a bit disingenuous.  Weren't they communicating with her through that address?

This is where it gets complicated. Having a private address and a private server are two different things. Having a private address is just like you or I having a private email address. It is questionable, but only medium hot on the spice scale. Having her own private mail server on the other hand, opens up a lot of vulnerabilities and is more obvious about her attempting to hide something.

For example, you can have a private gmail address separate from your work. You don't actually have or control that server.

On the other hand, you can actually have a private server sitting in your office that not only receives the email, but hosts the mail application and routing.

An analogy, having a private email is like having mail sent to a PO Box. Having a private server is like owning the post office and the trucks that deliver the mail.

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »
An analogy, having a private email is like having mail sent to a PO Box. Having a private server is like owning the post office and the trucks that deliver the mail.

I don't mean to get in the weeds, but I had a different impression, so correct me if I'm wrong.   To me, 'private server' was like 'private sector.'  Anything not on a .gov dedicated server, controlled by a government contractor was private to me.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »
I don't mean to get in the weeds, but I had a different impression, so correct me if I'm wrong.   To me, 'private server' was like 'private sector.'  Anything not on a .gov dedicated server, controlled by a government contractor was private to me.

You can have multiple domains on the same server. Not a big deal at all...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 06:08:10 pm »

No, the separate domain is questionable but not as big of a deal as having the private server. This is different from public sector versus private sector.  She technically could have had a .hillaryclinton.com email domain on a government server and have been secure even though the domain was private. Her having the private server meant the email domain she was using lived outside government security and messages channled through it never touched the proper security measures.

In this case, Obama may have known she had a private email address, but he would really not have a way of knowing if it was being hosted on a private server or a government secure server.

Here is an example how it would work.
You have an email address edpc@state.gov - that email domain lives on a government server.
You created another email domain edpc@edpc.com. You could work with state.gov to have that email domain securely hosted on their servers and be in complaince even though the domain is your private one.

OR

You can do like Hillary and buy a server and host the email application yourself bypassing the State Departments security and tracking requirements.

This is why, in this particular example, we really can't say what the President knew just from here because just seeing @edpc.com doesn't tell him where the actual email was hosted from.

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:48 pm »
I guess my biggest problem with his denial is the fact he used a fake name.  Why do that if he had no reason to believe she wasn't doing everything by the rules?