Author Topic: Your Official Live 2016 World Series Thread---From Game One to (if necessary) Game Seven . . .  (Read 11710 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Chicago Cubs vs. the Cleveland Indians.

As was once said by (of all people) Sen. Joseph McCarthy, it's the most unheard of thing anyone ever heard of.

The curse of Lou Brockforbroglio (so help me there are times you'd think that is the Hall of Famer's surname)
vs. the curse of Rocky Colavito.

(If only the Indians were still in Municipal Stadium so I could make a wisecrack about the Friendly Confines vs.
the Mistake on the Lake . . . heh, heh, heh.)

Will it go from "the team with the most ex-Cubs loses" to "the team with the best ex-Red Sox wins?" (The Cubs'
ex-Red Sox: Theo Epstein, Jon Lester, John Lackey. The Indians: Terry Francona, Andrew Miller, Mike Napoli.
Remember: The Cubs won the pennant because they had the fewest ex-Cubs . . .)

SERIES ON!!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

GO TRIBE!!

It's a nippy night in Cleveland, but our hearts are filled with warmth.   :dx1:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Let's go CUBBIES
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Online Polly Ticks

I was thinking about posting on this thread -- I LOVE baseball! -- but I was afraid that @Machiavelli might edit my post ...
 :whistle:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

Let's go CUBBIES

Ooooo............... this means WAR, my friend.  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ooooo............... this means WAR, my friend.  ^-^

Aha....may the best team win...and it will be the Cubs!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Wingnut

I was thinking about posting on this thread -- I LOVE baseball! -- but I was afraid that @Machiavelli might edit my post ...
 :whistle:

888high58888

In his defense...the buttons are close together...  (not)

Offline musiclady

Aha....may the best team win...and it will be the Cubs!

We shall see! 

(But I don't hold grudges, so even if they do, I'll forgive you!  :beer:)

Wingnut

Cubs in the World Series and

I can die happy now

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
We shall see! 

(But I don't hold grudges, so even if they do, I'll forgive you!  :beer:)

888high58888
Support the USO

Offline EasyAce

Will the team with the best ex-Red Sox win the Series?
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2016/10/25/will-the-team-with-the-best-ex-red-sox-win-the-series/

That was then: The team with the most ex-Cubs lost. This could be now: The team with the best ex-Red Sox wins.

The Cubs’ ex-Red Sox: Theo Epstein (president of baseball operations), Jon Lester (the Cubs’ World Series Game One starting pitcher),
and John Lackey. The Indians’ ex-Red Sox: Terry Francona (manager), Mike Napoli (first baseman/designated hitter), and Andrew
Miller (extraterrestrial relief pitcher).

Factors to consider:

* Epstein help finish the building of the 2004 Red Sox who smashed the actual or alleged Curse of the Bambino. Then he built
the Red Sox’s 2007 World Series winner, and had much of the hand in fortifying what became the Red Sox’s 2013 Series winner
—even though he bolted the Red Sox following the 2011 collapse to sign on with the Cubs.

* Francona managed the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox Series winners. It wasn’t entirely his fault the 2011 Red Sox collapsed, though
being addled by both painkillers (his knees) and divorce didn’t help him down that sad September stretch when his team, enough
of them, essentially quit on the best manager the Red Sox ever had. He quit before he could be executed, took a year off to
broadcast with ESPN, then signed up to manage the Indians . . . and began winning.

* Lester won two Series rings, with the 2007 and 2013 Red Sox. He was deadly in those two World Series, winning three games,
losing none, with a 0.43 ERA and a 0.76 walks.hits per inning pitched rate in the two classics. His overall postseason record is 8-6
but a 2.50 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP.

* Lackey joined the Red Sox for 2011, pitched with what proved a shredded elbow that season, spent the next season recovering
from Tommy John surgery, then recovered, rejuvenated, and won the clinching Game Six of the 2013 Series. By the way, Lackey
previously won the clinching Game Seven of the 2002 Series—as a rookie with the Angels.

* Miller was converted to relief pitching in 2012 with the Red Sox, one of the very few moves that season’s manager Bobby Valentine
made that made any sense with a team he’d lost in spring training. Future tours with the Orioles and the Yankees solidified his bullpen
strength. And he was probably one of the biggest reasons the Indians plowed their way to this Series.

* Napoli played in the 2011 World Series with the Rangers and won a ring with the 2013 Red Sox. He hasn’t hit terribly well in
postseason play overall but his hits manage to count big enough when they come, and he has eight home runs and 29 runs batted
in in postseason play overall.

In case you were wondering, the Indians have no ex-Cubs on their postseason roster, to the best of anyone’s knowledge. The Cubs,
of course, won the National League pennant this year because they had the fewest ex-Cubs on the roster.

The best book ever written about the Cubs? George F. Will, A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred. The
best book ever written about the Indians? What else? Terry Pluto, The Curse of Rocky Colavito.

The best song ever written about the Indians? “Go, Joe Charboneau.” (At the height of Rookie of the Year Super Joe Charboneau’s fame
—before his sophomore season produced the back injury that curtailed his career in its crib.) The best song ever written about the Cubs?
What else?
Steve Goodman, “Go, Cubs, Go.”

The best joke ever told about the Cubs before 2016? “Q: What does a mama bear on birth control have in common with the
World Series? A: No Cubs.” The best joke ever told about the Cleveland Indians: “What do the Indians have in common with a
possum? They play dead at home and get killed on the road.”

So . . . will the team with the best ex-Red Sox win the Series?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:56:00 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Cubs in the World Series and
I can die happy now

Get you some of those patches and we ALL can die happy.  :silly:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

Anyone Take a Knee?   

Offline EasyAce

They have shot off the pre-game fireworks after the National Anthem at Progressive Field . . .

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Off to a good start..no kneelers during the anthem.
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Will the team with the best ex-Red Sox win the Series?
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2016/10/25/will-the-team-with-the-best-ex-red-sox-win-the-series/

That was then: The team with the most ex-Cubs lost. This could be now: The team with the best ex-Red Sox wins.

So . . . will the team with the best ex-Red Sox win the Series?

Who has Big Papi???
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline EasyAce

Your starting lineups . . .

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:03:31 am by mystery-ak »

Online Polly Ticks

And no ridiculous runs and embellishments to the anthem ... just singing the song as written.  Nicely done.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

Who has Big Papi???

Neither of them. ;) (He retired a Red Sox this year.)

Offline dfwgator

Let's go Cleveland,  it's only been 11 years since Chicago last won a World Series.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Neither of them. ;) (He retired a Red Sox this year.)

NO ONE has the best ex-Red Sox???

They should call it a draw right now and get ready for next year.

Offline musiclady

Agree!

And I'd like to say this.............. these two teams have the most AWESOME fans in all of baseball.

We should be proud of ourselves!

(GREAT ad featuring very old fans from both teams who have been waiting for this victory).

I hope Kluber has his stuff tonight.  He's fantastic!

(So is Terry Francona, whose Dad was one of my childhood heroes).

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Let's go Cleveland,  it's only been 11 years since Chicago last won a World Series.

What..it's been 108 years....
Support the USO

Offline EasyAce

What..it's been 108 years....

He meant those guys on the south side of Chicago ;)