Author Topic: New York Times: Paul Theroux asks Obama to pardon American Taliban John Walker Lindh  (Read 1100 times)

rangerrebew

New York Times: Paul Theroux asks Obama to pardon American Taliban John Walker Lindh

October 24, 2016 10:09 am By Robert Spencer 24 Comments

As a young, idealistic Peace Corps volunteer in Malawi in the 1960s, travel writer Paul Theroux, moved by the evidence of misrule he saw everywhere around him, got involved in a plot to assassinate Malawian Prime Minister Hastings Banda. Essentially because of that experience, he now wants Obama to pardon John Walker Lindh, the Marin County Mujahid who was captured in late 2001 fighting against American troops for the Taliban.

There are several important reasons why Theroux’s case is not analogous to Lindh’s.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/10/new-york-times-paul-theroux-asks-obama-to-pardon-american-taliban-john-walker-lindh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:06:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
He probably will, on January 19th...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I fully expect him to pardon not only Lindh but Berghdal as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

I fully expect him to pardon not only Lindh but Berghdal as well.

I don't think so, Obama could care less about them. I think he's smart enough to know pardons for these two would stick with him the rest of his life, and hamper his future earnings.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't think so, Obama could care less about them. I think he's smart enough to know pardons for these two would stick with him the rest of his life, and hamper his future earnings.
They might be safer in prison, anyway. There are people who have come here who might not take  too kindly to sharing atmosphere with either one of them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

If it was any other Lib than Obama...I'd agree with you.

But look at what he's doing right now.  He's emptying prisons of felons...he's going to have Gitmo empty of even the most violent offenders before he leaves office.

In short...he doesn't give a rats ass what we think about what he's doing.  It's not going to hamper his earning IMHO because there's plenty of Liberal think tanks media outlets etc that will pay him huge sums of money to be associated with them. 

Combine that with the fact he's not worried about ever being elected to anything again in his life and you've got the perfect combination for someone to do just what I think he's gonna do.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They might be safer in prison, anyway. There are people who have come here who might not take  too kindly to sharing atmosphere with either one of them.

They were both from very blue...very Liberal areas of the country.  Lindh is from Marin County Calif...they'll give him a hero's welcome.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I seriously doubt he would pardon him, but it would not rule out a commutation,  since he scheduled for a May 2019 release. Watch him head for the trendy jihadist hotspot, once he's out.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.