Author Topic: The GOP must do something about the conservative media industrial complex if it wants to survive  (Read 3013 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-conservative-media-hannity-limbaugh-drudge-2016-10

The GOP must do something about the conservative media industrial complex if it wants to survive

Oliver Darcy and Pamela Engel

3h    

Standing before a Miami audience, sleeves rolled up, President Barack Obama was hard at work campaigning for Hillary Clinton.

But, as he sometimes does when he's riffing on the stump, the president took a detour in his speech. This time, he did so to make a point about Donald Trump and the influential faction of conservative media that allowed for his ascension inside the Republican Party.

"Here's the thing: Trump didn't come out of nowhere now," Obama said Thursday. "For years, Republican politicians and far-right media outlets have been pumping out all kinds of toxic, crazy stuff."

Obama went through a litany of conspiracy theories that have been pervasive throughout his presidency. The movement doubting his birthplace. Fears he wanted to "steal everybody's guns." The idea he wanted to "declare martial law."

"I say all this," the president said, "because Donald Trump didn't start all this. Like he usually does, he just slapped his name on it, took credit for it, and promoted the heck out of it."

The president had a point. Trump's rise was no accident; rather, it was a natural outgrowth of a growing and influential faction of conservative media that for years fed the Republican base a steady diet of fringe theories masqueraded as news.

And Republicans allowed it to happen, as Obama noted.

"They just stood by and said nothing, even though they knew better, while their base actually started believing some of this stuff," he said.

Obama hinted at one of the first postelection reckonings within the Republican Party. The president's remarks hit home for numerous Republican strategists and members of the traditional conservative press. Many of them felt that Obama, public enemy No. 1 over the past eight years, had been the one to accurately home in on the problem.

"When I was watching the president, I was struck by how he seemed to understand the problems with conservative media more than any Republican does," said John Ziegler, a nationally syndicated conservative radio host and columnist for Mediaite.

"It was frustrating to see him be the voice of reason."

More at link
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:15:06 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

I hope we see the end of talk radio.  I used to listen to a lot of shows, now I rarely listen to talk radio.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
If Trump loses, there will be no apologies from the likes of Breitbart, Drudge, Hannity and Coulter.  They will simply blame establishment moderates.

But there will be time for finger-pointing later.  I am inclined to give them plenty of space to close the sale between now and election day.

geronl

There is no conservative media, that is one thing I have learned

Offline kevindavis007

If Trump loses, there will be no apologies from the likes of Breitbart, Drudge, Hannity and Coulter.  They will simply blame establishment moderates.

But there will be time for finger-pointing later.  I am inclined to give them plenty of space to close the sale between now and election day.

You are right...

To be honest, I'm done with them and I have given up on them. To think I wasted over 20 years of my life listen to people like Limbaugh, Hannity and others.

Offline kevindavis007

Just outrage media.

Offline Night Hides Not

+1.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

You are right...

To be honest, I'm done with them and I have given up on them. To think I wasted over 20 years of my life listen to people like Limbaugh, Hannity and others.

We've all paid our tuition, my friend, but I think we've learned from our mistakes. Trump will be a regular guest on Hannity, much like Sarah Palin in the year after the 2008 election, unfortunately.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

Just outrage media.

They should be outraged at themselves, they caused all this

Offline kevindavis007

We've all paid our tuition, my friend, but I think we've learned from our mistakes. Trump will be a regular guest on Hannity, much like Sarah Palin in the year after the 2008 election, unfortunately.

True...

Offline kevindavis007

They should be outraged at themselves, they caused all this

They won't.. They don't have any shame..

Offline dfwgator

What Conservative-Media Complex?

Offline chae

I usually listen to Rush while on lunch, and within the past week or so I finally got why he likes Trump so much.  It's because Trump annoys the media.  Limbaugh is still moaning and griping about not being able to buy a stake in that NFL team because of the media and that was several years ago.  As often as he talks about all these media parties that he would never lower himself to go to, well, yeah, because they don't want you there.  I seriously think his happiness with Trump is that he wants to see the media taken down a notch or two, and to hell with conservatism.
Also, i nearly choked to death on my diet Coke earlier today when Limbaugh had the audacity to say that he hasn't endorsed anyone in this race.

Offline kevindavis007

I usually listen to Rush while on lunch, and within the past week or so I finally got why he likes Trump so much.  It's because Trump annoys the media.  Limbaugh is still moaning and griping about not being able to buy a stake in that NFL team because of the media and that was several years ago.  As often as he talks about all these media parties that he would never lower himself to go to, well, yeah, because they don't want you there.  I seriously think his happiness with Trump is that he wants to see the media taken down a notch or two, and to hell with conservatism.
Also, i nearly choked to death on my diet Coke earlier today when Limbaugh had the audacity to say that he hasn't endorsed anyone in this race.

I know the Media sucks, but come on this constant whining about the media is getting old.

geronl

I know the Media sucks, but come on this constant whining about the media is getting old.

It was old years and years ago.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

The conservative base are the biggest bunch of whiny crybabies on the planet. Maybe second after millenials.

They complain about everything and anything. They hate the left, the "GOP-e", the media, and most of all they hate themselves. Nobody in the GOP or in conservatism has any personal responsibility. When our candidates lose, they blame the media.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:07:56 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline kevindavis007

It was old years and years ago.

It was old then and it is very old now. Every time I hear about it, I roll my eyes.

geronl

They complain about everything and anything. They hate the left, the "GOP-e", the media, and most of all they hate themselves. Nobody in the GOP or in conservatism has any personal responsibility. When our candidates lose, they blame the media.

I blame Trump.

Offline kevindavis007

The conservative base are the biggest bunch of whiny crybabies on the planet. Maybe second after millenials.

:amen: :amen:

We as a base need to man up. We preach personal responsibility and maybe it is time that we start practice what we preach. Reagan won despite the media. Maybe we should learn from Reagan.

• Technical
I remember hearing a story on how Reagan arranged a private special showing of ET directly with Spielberg. Reagan wasnt against the media, he mastered the media.

Anybody doing anything like that today would be declared a RINO.

Offline Suppressed

Unfortunately,  you are one of the few who sees or admits to seeing it. The conservative base is its own worst enemy.

Conservatives don't subscribe to conservative publications, then whine when the only papers that survive are liberal.  Cincy, Houston, Philly, Denver, etc...the liberal papers survive.

When someone like Glenn Beck tries to start a competing media organization, he's attacked, while many conservatives complain that others want revenue for their news stories. (The "give us news stories without copyright concerns" is about as liberal as you get...it's wanting handouts for the work of others.)

They whine about fraud instead of working as hard as liberals to GOTV.  They think a few Facebook posts equal getting out on the streets.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

Unfortunately,  you are one of the few who sees or admits to seeing it. The conservative base is its own worst enemy.

Conservatives don't subscribe to conservative publications, then whine when the only papers that survive are liberal.  Cincy, Houston, Philly, Denver, etc...the liberal papers survive.

When someone like Glenn Beck tries to start a competing media organization, he's attacked, while many conservatives complain that others want revenue for their news stories. (The "give us news stories without copyright concerns" is about as liberal as you get...it's wanting handouts for the work of others.)

They whine about fraud instead of working as hard as liberals to GOTV.  They think a few Facebook posts equal getting out on the streets.

@Suppressed
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

That trend has been going on for over 10 years. Ever since the 04 election.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:49:57 pm by kevindavis »

Offline dfwgator

Liberals tend to be collectivists, whereas Conservatives tend to be individualists,  right there I think that explains a huge difference in the ways we behave with regards to politics. 

• Technical

@Suppressed
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

That trend has been going on for over 10 years. Ever since the 04 election.

Agreed.

During W's Presidency we had a few things happen:

1) Iraq War
2) Push for illegal amnesty
3) economic collapse

Since his Presidency the "right" went from being a side aligned with reason and sanity to one that was aligned with populism, which I think was a reaction to those 3 things. To me this served some good purposes, and the TeaParty gave the GOP the 2010 majority. But I think the recent flavor of the right is electoral poison. I remember making fun of Democrats for all the thing the right is now famous for.

Limbaugh started going "anti-establishment" because W left the office with a bad popularity forced him to, IMO.

With the trumpist screaming about neocons, and basically sounding identical to 2005 era leftists, I think that I'm right in my analysis.

Offline skeeter

Barack 'Keep Your Insurance Plan' Obama wouldn't lie to us, would he.