Author Topic: Why Utah Voting for McMullin Does Not Help Hillary Clinton- Infographic  (Read 3918 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
With Evan McMullin now tied for the lead in Utah, the knives are help with the claim he is helping Hillary. This infographic explains why that is incorrect.

Offline corbe

I see scenario # 3 as most probable. 

She will translate the Trump undesirability factor to think she has a Mandate and if Schumer's in charge of the Senate, it's gonna be a gloomy, but survivable 4 years.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

McMullin is not "helping Hillary", he is running against her (and trump)

Offline Resp3

Bumping this thread as I'm seriously considering voting for McMullin.

Offline sinkspur

The big question for me is why Trump is going to Maine in pursuit of ONE electoral vote.  Does he have a side chick up there?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Bumping this thread as I'm seriously considering voting for McMullin.

Would too, but there are only four candidates on the ballot for POTUS here in TX.  None acceptable.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
RCP has McMullin 5 points behind Trump in the average,and even with McMullin Trump is still winning the state. He might not even matter.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Would too, but there are only four candidates on the ballot for POTUS here in TX.  None acceptable.

Thought he'd qualified as a write in in TX? Or am I thinking Castle?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Resp3

@catfish1957

I looked it. As (obviously as per my avatar) I live in Texas. McMullin is a legitimate write in candidate.

Offline ABX

McMullin did qualify as a write-in candidate in Texas.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
Re: Why Utah Voting for McMullin Does Not Help Hillary Clinton- Infographic
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:33:01 pm »
With Evan McMullin now tied for the lead in Utah, the knives are help with the claim he is helping Hillary. This infographic explains why that is incorrect.

Under Scenario #2 we could end up with a McMullin/Pence Presidency and I could support that.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:06 pm »
Under Scenario #2 we could end up with a McMullin/Pence Presidency and I could support that.

Any third party candidate doing well in any state is a boost to the 270 reset button scenario. Be it Johnson, McMullin, or Castle, all they need to do is keep the two major party candidates from reaching 270.

it is a legitmate Constitutional check and balance strategy and it means that people can vote their values and conscience without feeling guilty.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »
McMullin is not "helping Hillary", he is running against her (and trump)

Of course he is..McMullin is a #Nevertrump puppet whose sole purpose is stopping him.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
Of course he is..McMullin is a #Nevertrump puppet whose sole purpose is stopping him.

Of course his purpose is to stop him (and her). That's what competing political candidates do, they run against opponents.

That is what most of us learned in kindergarten, if you are competing against someone, you compete to win.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:47 pm »
Any third party candidate doing well in any state is a boost to the 270 reset button scenario. Be it Johnson, McMullin, or Castle, all they need to do is keep the two major party candidates from reaching 270.

it is a legitmate Constitutional check and balance strategy and it means that people can vote their values and conscience without feeling guilty.

As I understand it - a 3rd party candidate has to WIN the state to get the electors. Johnson or Castle don't have a chance. McMullin has a slim chance to win the 9 electors in Utah.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:31 pm »
I don't see why Scenario #2 necessarily results in Hillary losing.  For that to happen, either Trump or McMullin would have to win in the House, and I'm not sure that's so certain.

Trump himself is very unpopular among some people, and among some members of Congress as well.  If push came to shove, I'm not sure we could count on a party-line vote by the GOP to choose Trump over Hillary.  There might be enough defections that Hillary would actually win.

If that is possible, then for Scenario #2 to be a sure thing, we'd have to count on all those Republicans voting for McMullin.  And I'm not so sure of that either.  Sure, a lot of Republicans would prefer him to Hillary.  But I also think a number of them would be extremely uncomfortable with the idea that some guy who is virtually unknown by 90% of the country, only really ran in one state, and only won in one state dominated by a single religious minority, should be chosen as President.  Some of the RINO's might believe that is sticking a finger in the eye of all the voters in the other 49 states.  In fact, I personally believe that McMullin winning a fight in the House is the least likely alternative should it make it that far.

I'm not saying that is definitely what would happen.  But at the same time, I don't think there's any guarantee that forcing the House to choose between Hillary, Trump, and McMullin is an easy "Hillary loses" scenario.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:22:44 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 03:08:29 pm »
As I understand it - a 3rd party candidate has to WIN the state to get the electors. Johnson or Castle don't have a chance. McMullin has a slim chance to win the 9 electors in Utah.

Correct. Looks to me like Trump will win the state even with McMullin... for now.

Offline starstruck

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »
If Utah's 6 electoral votes is the only thing keeping Trump from winning then there would be a fair chance that McMullin himself would be in the mix for the Presidency. Talk about your 6 dimensional move.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:14:07 pm »

Not all states are winner take all.

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »
Not all states are winner take all.

Only Nebraska and Maine aren't, not Utah.

Offline starstruck

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »
I don't see why Scenario #2 necessarily results in Hillary losing.  For that to happen, either Trump or McMullin would have to win in the House, and I'm not sure that's so certain.

Trump himself is very unpopular among some people, and among some members of Congress as well.  If push came to shove, I'm not sure we could count on a party-line vote by the GOP to choose Trump over Hillary.  There might be enough defections that Hillary would actually win.

If that is possible, then for Scenario #2 to be a sure thing, we'd have to count on all those Republicans voting for McMullin.  And I'm not so sure of that either.  Sure, a lot of Republicans would prefer him to Hillary.  But I also think a number of them would be extremely uncomfortable with the idea that some guy who is virtually unknown by 90% of the country, only really ran in one state, and only won in one state dominated by a single religious minority, should be chosen as President.  Some of the RINO's might believe that is sticking a finger in the eye of all the voters in the other 49 states.  In fact, I personally believe that McMullin winning a fight in the House is the least likely alternative should it make it that far.

I'm not saying that is definitely what would happen.  But at the same time, I don't think there's any guarantee that forcing the House to choose between Hillary, Trump, and McMullin is an easy "Hillary loses" scenario.
You might have individuals in the Republican Party that could vote for Hillary but if the election was thrown to the House each state gets one vote. Since 33 states have a majority of Republicans in the house that would require a lot of defections to give Hillary the victory.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 05:04:45 pm »
You might have individuals in the Republican Party that could vote for Hillary but if the election was thrown to the House each state gets one vote. Since 33 states have a majority of Republicans in the house that would require a lot of defections to give Hillary the victory.

I believe it would be the newly seated House, not the current one, that would vote for President.  And in that case, we may not have all 33 states.  It may be a lot closer, and the number of Republicans unwilling to vote for either Trump or McMullin could be enough to swing it.

Again, I'm not saying that is what would happen.  I'm just saying it's not a slam dunk that Hillary would lose in that circumstance.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »
RCP has McMullin 5 points behind Trump in the average,and even with McMullin Trump is still winning the state. He might not even matter.
But RCP has a lag because his polling has been rising quickly. So it's including polls showing him at 20% a few weeks ago with the ones with him at 30% or more now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 05:17:16 pm »
Has Trump gotten his ducks in a row, or is there a chance if some faithless electors?  If it was close, I could see Hillary operatives calling up electors and threatening to hang Trump around their necks.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »
Has Trump gotten his ducks in a row, or is there a chance if some faithless electors?  If it was close, I could see Hillary operatives calling up electors and threatening to hang Trump around their necks.

Now here's a question for the forum...

What will happen when faithless electors actually change an election?