Author Topic: SHOCKER: Independent Candidate McMullin Pulls Ahead in Utah  (Read 938 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
SHOCKER: Independent Candidate McMullin Pulls Ahead in Utah
« on: October 20, 2016, 02:02:51 am »
SHOCKER: Independent Candidate McMullin Pulls Ahead in Utah

Posted at 6:00 pm on October 19, 2016 by Susan Wright

It’s unlikely that McMullin could ever get 270 electoral college votes, but he has stated that that’s not the plan.

McMullin, who is now beginning to create a buzz, as he travels and speaks in different town hall settings, is working more of a long game strategy.

He hopes to win just enough states to prevent either Clinton or Trump from getting to 270 electoral college votes, forcing the decision to the Senate, where one of the top three vote getters will be chosen to take the office of POTUS.

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/10/19/shocker-independent-candidate-mcmullin-pulls-ahead-utah/

Go Evan!  I am praying.  The other two are unacceptable.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: SHOCKER: Independent Candidate McMullin Pulls Ahead in Utah
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:03:52 am »
He hopes to win just enough states to prevent either Clinton or Trump from getting to 270 electoral college votes, forcing the decision to the Senate, where one of the top three vote getters will be chosen to take the office of POTUS.

No, it goes to the HoR if nobody gets to 270.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:15 am »
Semi-related... New Mexico: Clinton 35, Trump 31, Johnson 24.

https://www.abqjournal.com/857961/clinton-trump-in-tight-race-in-new-mexico.html

The Johnson camp also put out a poll claiming "Gary Johnson has reached 20% in key Central Plains states. Additionally, Johnson is polling at 17% in Clinton's "home" state of New York and 12% in mountain states." I don't put a lot of stock in that (New York is notoriously corrupt and there isn't much of a neverTrump movement here).

Still, if the possibility of winning his home state gives Johnson the same kind of boost it's given McMullin in Utah (and since New Mexicans have more experience seeing Johnson govern and view him mostly positively, it's entirely possible), that takes 11 EVs off the board-- probably not enough to force a House vote since Trump is imploding in the Eastern swing states, but it would be something truly historic and a stepping stone to build upon for 2020.

For the record, if that scenario pans out and it does deprive both Clinton and Trump of the 270, because Utah has 6 and New Mexico 5 electoral votes, that would put McMullin (and not Johnson) onto the House ballot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:07:20 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:45 am »

https://www.abqjournal.com/857961/clinton-trump-in-tight-race-in-new-mexico.html

The Johnson camp also put out a poll claiming "Gary Johnson has reached 20% in key Central Plains states. Additionally, Johnson is polling at 17% in Clinton's "home" state of New York and 12% in mountain states." I don't put a lot of stock in that (New York is notoriously corrupt and there isn't much of a neverTrump movement here).

Still, if the possibility of winning his home state gives Johnson the same kind of boost it's given McMullin in Utah (and since New Mexicans have more experience seeing Johnson govern and view him mostly positively, it's entirely possible), that takes 11 EVs off the board-- probably not enough to force a House vote since Trump is imploding in the Eastern swing states, but it would be something truly historic and a stepping stone to build upon for 2020.

For the record, if that scenario pans out and it does deprive both Clinton and Trump of the 270, because Utah has 6 and New Mexico 5 electoral votes, that would put McMullin (and not Johnson) onto the House ballot.

Sitting here recovering from the debate.  It would have been way more entertaining if they had a mud pit for them to wrestle in.  I see this scenario as totally possible. Even early on the third party candidates were drawing votes in the polls.  I think this election has broken the barriers of two party system.  What is so telling is Hillary standing on stage saying she is reaching out to republicans.  Of course Donald is reaching across to liberals also.  So that tells the story.  There is no clear choice and people are not dedicated to their party this election.

We'll see.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:39:45 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:50:51 am »

Why would this not make this a win for Clinton?  She's leading in the polls and if that pans out in the vote, she'd get the most votes... which puts New Mexico's EV's in Clinton's column come election night.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:58:52 am »
Why would this not make this a win for Clinton?  She's leading in the polls and if that pans out in the vote, she'd get the most votes... which puts New Mexico's EV's in Clinton's column come election night.
This is a snapshot. Keep in mind, Evan McMullin was in distant third, but then a poll came out showing him in close third and he got momentum, pushing him to his current spot of battling for first in Utah.

Why I post this is because if Johnson gets the same boost McMullin did, he could propel into a similar position and win his state's EVs as well. New Mexico's a small state; like Utah, the polls can swing rapidly.

I want to see as many EVs come off the boards from Clinton and Trump as possible. I'll admit I've lost faith in the GOP to conduct an effective primary and I want another way to get a viable candidate I can support on the ballot. With strong third-party candidacies, that lays the groundwork for that the next election.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:00:43 am »
This is a snapshot. Keep in mind, Evan McMullin was in distant third, but then a poll came out showing him in close third and he got momentum, pushing him to his current spot of battling for first in Utah.

Why I post this is because if Johnson gets the same boost McMullin did, he could propel into a similar position and win his state's EVs as well. New Mexico's a small state; like Utah, the polls can swing rapidly.

I want to see as many EVs come off the boards from Clinton and Trump as possible. I'll admit I've lost faith in the GOP to conduct an effective primary and I want another way to get a viable candidate I can support on the ballot. With strong third-party candidacies, that lays the groundwork for that the next election.

True enough.