Author Topic: Thread of Cute  (Read 294261 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Thread of Cute
« Reply #900 on: October 03, 2017, 10:00:44 pm »
@Suppressed

Had to look up pangolin. They are the only known scaled mammal.

Also the most frequently trafficked mammal.  :-(  Many people want to use their scales in folk medicine.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #901 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:32 am »
Also the most frequently trafficked mammal.  :-(  Many people want to use their scales in folk medicine.

That is terrible. Poor critters.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #902 on: October 04, 2017, 01:28:37 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #903 on: October 04, 2017, 01:29:29 am »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #904 on: October 04, 2017, 01:51:08 am »
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #905 on: October 04, 2017, 05:18:56 am »
Tabbies in their natural state.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:10:44 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #907 on: October 04, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »
Vicious lion attack!
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #908 on: October 04, 2017, 01:50:22 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #909 on: October 04, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »
More on pangolins...

Pangolins eat ants too!
by TempUserAccount   4 hr
https://imgur.com/gallery/CLWfB

Ant eaters are rad and all but are they as awesome as pangolins? Maybe, maybe not. So here's an informational post about the only scaled mammal.

While there are 8 subspecies, these are 'ground pangolins' which are found in my home country of South Africa. They are wholly myrmecophagous (they only eat ants and termites) though they're pretty picky about which kinds of ants and termites they eat, preferring certain species over others.

They vary from 3.5-7.3lb / 1.6-3.3kg so not terribly big animals. Their scales are made out of keratin (basically your hair and fingernails) and make up about 20% of their body weight. When threatened, they curl up into a ball, puff and hiss, and lash out with their tails. They also are also capable of emitting a noxious acid from anal glands similar to skunks.

They're nocturnal and can dig their own burrows but prefer to live in those abandoned by warthogs or aardvarks. They're solitary animals and only interact for reproducing. We don't really know a whole lot more about them as they've proven difficult to study in the wild.

Their tongue is technically longer than their entire body due to being connected internally near their pelvis. They have no external ears so have poor hearing as well as poor vision however they have a strong sense of smell.

Now the bad part. It is estimated that 100,000 are captured each year from across Africa and Asia, with most shipped to China and Vietnam where their meat is prized as a delicacy and their scales are supposed to cure everything from acne to cancer. It is estimated that pangolin scales make up 20% of the black-market trade in protected animals. It is unknown how many are left in the wild.  As a result all eight species feature on the International Union of the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Rest List of animals threatened with extinction.

I've personally never seen one as they're very rare in South Africa, with only 73 sightings in the last 20 years.

Pangolin pup tax (yes they ride around on their mothers)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:04:59 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #910 on: October 04, 2017, 03:06:37 pm »
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #911 on: October 04, 2017, 03:09:41 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #912 on: October 04, 2017, 04:25:24 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #913 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:43 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #914 on: October 04, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #915 on: October 04, 2017, 09:52:19 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/80eOHVd.mp4

"A little background. This is my aunt's friend who works as a school secretary. This girl visits her to say hello every day. She is in a foster family who have been trying to adopt her for a few years, but ran into increasing legal problems. They got the news that the adoption miraculously went through and decided that secretary should deliver this news. :) posted with permission from them."

Video Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZw9mQbFgt5

jackiealex  Some Mondays are better than others.
I share this with permission from the parent of this student.
This is pure testament that in a world full of turmoil and strife, there is still light and joy to be found in little everyday moments.
A dear family I know has been fighting for as long as I can remember to adopt 3 of their foster children that attend our school. It's been hard to watch them fight this emotional battle. My love has grown for this family and I have learned so much from them as they have tried to remain positive despite many set backs. Today my phone rang at my desk and it was my friend Jen telling me things FINALLY had come to an end and the courts were going to let them ADOPT the children!! She asked me if I would be sure to tell her sweet girl when she came to my desk for her daily visit. She knew she would want to know right away because she had been so worried. I don't think even I could understand myself what that moment would feel like. Our security cameras caught the moment perfectly. I cry as I type this. In 12 years at this job, this is by far my best moment ever!! To tell a little girl that she gets her family forever takes the cake. I can't even describe that hug...and thank heavens her mom doesn't mind that I kissed her a million times, and a million more after the film cuts off. A moment needed after waking up to another morning of devastating news on t.v....but a sweet reminder today that life can be and still is beautiful in spite of it all. ♥️#americanheritageofsouthjordan
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #916 on: October 04, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »
 888blushing8888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #917 on: October 05, 2017, 02:28:59 am »
"He caught his first chicken"
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #918 on: October 05, 2017, 02:36:18 am »
Dog thinks the moon is a ball...

http://i.imgur.com/n5UGwH7.mp4
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »
Helpin' out daddy...

http://i.imgur.com/NtFbY6h.mp4
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #920 on: October 05, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #921 on: October 05, 2017, 03:39:23 pm »
+++++++++

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #922 on: October 05, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »
@Suppressed

Thanks for the info on pangolins. And for the many great posts. Love the puppy "helping" daddy on the treadmill.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #923 on: October 05, 2017, 08:27:51 pm »
Mrs. Liberty just sent me a page.  My neighbor friend found a home for the floofy jellibeans we had take up residence in our back yard, and also a place to take mommy for some fixin'.  They're almost old enough, saw them nursing off Mommy a couple days ago.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #924 on: October 05, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »
Thanks for the info on pangolins. And for the many great posts. Love the puppy "helping" daddy on the treadmill.

You're welcome, @austingirl, and thank you.  I'm always a bit concerned that I might be posting too much to the thread, but I'll continue posting unless people message me to give it a break!
+++++++++