Author Topic: When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing
« on: October 18, 2016, 05:14:02 pm »
When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing
Two thousand miles away from the U.S. A-bomb tests in 1945, something weird was happening to Kodak's film.
By Matt Blitz
Jun 20, 2016

The ground shook, a brilliant white flash enveloped the sky, and the world changed forever. Code name "Trinity," the bomb test at dawn on July 16, 1945 in Alamogordo, New Mexico was the first large-scale atomic weapons testing in history. Only three weeks later two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan.

More than 1,900 miles away from Alamogordo, at the Rochester, NY headquarters of Eastman Kodak, a flood of complaints came in from business customers who had recently purchased sensitive X-ray film from the company. Black exposed spots on the film, or "fogging," had rendered it unusable. This perplexed many Kodak scientists, who had gone to great lengths to prevent contaminations like this.

Julian H. Webb, a physicist in Kodak's research department, took it upon himself to dig deeper and test the destroyed film. What he uncovered was shocking. The fogging of Kodak's film and the Trinity test in New Mexico were eerily connected, revealing some chilling secrets about the nuclear age....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a21382/how-kodak-accidentally-discovered-radioactive-fallout/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:26:11 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:49 pm »
You have linky my homey?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline montanajoe

Re: When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »
I've met people from Southern Utah who used to go down to Las Vegas to watch the open air testing. Also known a few who probably died from cancer caused by the testing.

Even if the risks were fully disclosed I doubt there would have been much of an impact. The American public at that time were more concerned with the immediate threat of Soviet nukes than any perceived long term impact of the testing.....