Author Topic: Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol
The process is cheap, efficient, and scalable, meaning it could soon be used to remove large amounts of CO2 from the atmosphere.
By Avery Thompson
Oct 17, 2016

Scientists at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee have discovered a chemical reaction to turn CO2 into ethanol, potentially creating a new technology to help avert climate change. Their findings were published in the journal ChemistrySelect.

The researchers were attempting to find a series of chemical reactions that could turn CO2 into a useful fuel, when they realized the first step in their process managed to do it all by itself. The reaction turns CO2 into ethanol, which could in turn be used to power generators and vehicles....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a23417/convert-co2-into-ethanol/
Video at link
I guess we will see how this pans out, seems to good to be true.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Oceander

Could be interesting. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

I'll drink to that. :beer:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline r9etb

They're onto us, Clem...

Offline r9etb

Here's the paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/slct.201601169/full

Seems legit -- nano-spike carbon/copper catalyst.  Not free, but significantly more efficient.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Violates Exclusionary Principle of Governance

The EPG states that anything which is cost effective, affordable, efficient, has few negative elements and many positive ones and doesn't harm anyone or anything, is automatically excluded from consideration by government.
   You think that I'm joking, but I'm not.
   That is what the AGW fanatics don't get. Since the AGW movement is not and has never been about reducing average climatic temperature (since they know that elevated carbon-dioxide levels in the atmosphere is an after-effect of warming not the cause) but about using AGW as an EXCUSE for increasing government control and establishing a revenue stream for leftists - the ecoparanoids who run the AGW scam will NEVER permit a solution to the so-called "problem" of too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

First and foremost, once the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere was reduced and temperatures CONTINUED to rise, the whole scam going back to its genesis in the sick mind of algore, would be revealed.

That would open algore and others to endless lawsuits for fraud, and permanently discredit countless leftist politicians who have built careers pedaling ecoparanoia to their constituents.

Second, the far left would lose a prime political talking point with which to bludgeon their opponents over the head - that conservatives and other non-leftists are "destroying the planet" (i.e., are bad people) so they should not be given political power.

Third, the push to gradually and increasingly usurp power from the private sector and enlarge government power/authority to regulate (control) the population with endless restrictions would be imperiled. As Michael Crichton pointed out in his anti-AGW book State of Fear, the far left and its allies needs the world's population to be in a perpetual state of fear, so that they will readily accept whatever insane, Draconian tyranny Statists impose upon them "for their own good". Without some "crisis" from which to "save" them, the People of the world would soon think that they didn't need bigger and bigger, more and more powerful government to "help" them and would insist on smaller, more efficient, less-corrupt governance.

I predict that if this technology turns out to be the real deal it will be made to disappear and the people who have created it will either be bought off, intimidated or murdered into silence permanently.

Make no mistake, the ecoparanoia movement is HUGE business and power brokers. They will not sit idly by and allow some scientist to ruin everything they have worked for over the decades without a serious fight.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Evil stuff CO2, they should get rid of all of it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Evil stuff CO2, they should get rid of all of it.

That and dihydrogen monoxide.
The Republic is lost.

Online LadyLiberty

Ethanol from CO2.  There goes big corn.

Offline thackney

Just chemistry.  But it still takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the ethanol can release in combustion.  This could effectively become a battery, but it still has losses.

63% efficiency is not going to make a major impact to fuel supply.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Ethanol from CO2.  There goes big corn.

Big corn needs to adapt and produce other products, and it can if it chooses.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

That and dihydrogen monoxide.

Makes me thirsty just thinking about it.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Makes me thirsty just thinking about it.

For those is Rio Linda, dihydrogen monoxide is (wait for it)  H2O aka "water".
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:51:00 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Color me skeptically hopeful.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Just chemistry.  But it still takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the ethanol can release in combustion.  This could effectively become a battery, but it still has losses.

True enough, but as I understand it, the energy input could come from electricity generated with solar panels, which is a relatively clean input.

Offline r9etb

True enough, but as I understand it, the energy input could come from electricity generated with solar panels, which is a relatively clean input.

Right.  Or, you could use thermocouples on the hot side of a power plant and use the power to make enough hooch for the office Christmas party.

Oceander

Right.  Or, you could use thermocouples on the hot side of a power plant and use the power to make enough hooch for the office Christmas party.

:thumbsup:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Hey, it's a start!  :beer:
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

Why do I only see this turning into another reason for the gov't to impose more crazy environmental regulations forcing us to capture every speck of CO2 we create?

Offline Frank Cannon

Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol

Big deal. I can turn Burger King onion rings into methane in less than an hour.

geronl

I do not think the author understands the word "efficient".

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Anyone who can turn my car exhaust into whiskey ...
turn air into whiskey?

Ok, I'm good with that, I guess? I don't know?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Maybe not, but given the right electrode and a battery, though the Coca Cola will be flat, it'll have some kick...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Could be interesting.

But sadly, I will predict it has nothing to do with running corn likker through a hillbilly...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Not even with the feedstock being free?

I'm more interested in it's use in terraforming. Got Venus sitting right over there - same size, same gravity. Perfect, other than it's atmosphere, in other words.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink