Author Topic: Meet the Ohio Troll who Suckered The Gateway Pundit, Drudge and Rush  (Read 1817 times)

Wingnut

Media figures and officials are suckered by a troll's Ohio voter fraud joke:

There's not much of a mystery what happened here: Some folks who should've known better got hoaxed by a rando from the Internet.

Let's start from the beginning, with the culprit.

On his profile, the anonymous Twitter user @randygdub (who says he is a man) calls himself "the cool and chill guy of online." What he is, more accurately, is an adherent of Weird Twitter – a surrealist style of Twitter humor known for fake anecdotes, lefty politics and copious trolling.

Basically, Weird Twitter enjoys taking advantage of strangers who aren't in on the joke.

Typically – if you were, say, a normal person – you wouldn't need to pay much attention to Weird Twitter. But then Election 2016 happened and Donald Trump started alleging mass voter fraud (with no evidence), and @randygdub took advantage of the situation.

But then @randygdub's tweets got picked up by the conservative blogger Jim Hoft, also known as Gateway Pundit, who missed the signs of blatant and egregious trolling. Hoft posted a story titled: "POSTAL WORKER Brags Online About Destroying Trump Ballots"

Then Gateway Pundit's post got picked up by Matt Drudge's Drudge Report, an influential conservative aggregator:

Then the story got picked up by conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh.

“Let me ask you this,” Limbaugh said, according to the Daily Beast. “If a postal worker went on social media — I don’t care what it was, Facebook Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, you name it — and was bragging about destroying Hillary absentee ballots, do you think they’d be trying to hunt this guy down and put him in jail with the guy who made the video about the started Benghazi?"
The cops got involved.

The U.S. Postal Service – inundated by tweets from concerned users, who themselves had been inundated by paranoid yet strangely unskeptical media outlets – got involved.

And after some investigating, it looks like the Postal Service got a handle on the situation.

"The Postal Service has completed an initial investigation of the mentioned tweets and does not believe these tweets were made by a postal employee," the Postal Service said in a statement to anybody who tweeted at them for help. "However, the Postal Service will continue to monitor this situation and if it is determined that the individual making the tweets is a postal employee and there is substantiated evidence of mail being tampered with or destroyed, then the Postal Service will take appropriate corrective action to address the situation."

Meanwhile, back on planet @randygdub, the heist was complete. He even made it on TV.

The tweets and progression here:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-uh-oh-media-figures-and-officials-got-1476753299-htmlstory.html

HonestJohn

Re: Meet the Ohio Troll who Suckered The Gateway Pundit, Drudge and Rush
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 03:07:38 am »
Proof that a sucker is borne every minute...

... and this election cycle, they are working and voting for Trump.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:08:28 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:09:49 am »
His profile said California, and the tweet said Ohio. It was obviously trolling or satire.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:10:04 am »
Proof that a sucker is borne every minute...

... and this election cycle, they are working and voting for Trump.

They lapped it up like hogs on gruel

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:12:57 am »
His profile said California, and the tweet said Ohio. It was obviously trolling or satire.

If Trump supporters could pick up on the obvious...they obviously would not have fallen for Trump :shrug:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:36 am »
If the first clue wasn't obvious enough, "Gateway Pundit" should have been a clear sign.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 03:56:16 am »
Wow, Jim Hoft fell for a troll without even doing an ounce of fact checking, then top billed it like it was fact?

Shocked I tell you, shocked.

Let me guess, he also made a big sensationalist headline about it too?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:02:16 am »
If Trump supporters could pick up on the obvious...they obviously would not have fallen for Trump :shrug:

Very good point.

Has anyone ventured to the TOSser muck pit to see whether (i.e., how much) they fell for it?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »
10 years ago Rush would have never believed this...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org