Author Topic: How Half of America Lost Its (Flipping) Mind: 6 reasons for Trump's rise that no one talks about  (Read 3855 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

by David Wong
October 12, 2016

I'm going to explain the Donald Trump phenomenon in three movies. And then some text.

There's this universal shorthand that epic adventure movies use to tell the good guys from the bad. The good guys are simple folk from the countryside ... ... while the bad guys are decadent assholes who live in the city and wear stupid clothes:

In Star Wars, Luke is a farm boy ...... while the bad guys live in a shiny space station:

In Braveheart, the main character (Dennis Braveheart) is a simple farmer ...... and the dastardly Prince Shithead lives in a luxurious castle and wears fancy, foppish clothes:

The theme expresses itself in several ways -- primitive vs. advanced, tough vs. delicate, masculine vs. feminine, poor vs. rich, pure vs. decadent, traditional vs. weird. All of it is code for rural vs. urban. That tense divide between the two doesn't exist because of these movies, obviously. These movies used it as shorthand because the divide already existed.

We country folk are programmed to hate the prissy elites. That brings us to Trump.

(continued at link)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:33:40 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online corbe

Very Insightful, Thanks for posting.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline DB

I'm a rural guy. Trump is not the solution. Getting government out of our lives and returned to the limits of the constitution is the only hope. Trump offers nothing on that front. The government is consuming us.

Offline dfwgator

I think in a nutshell it was that people are tired of the status quo, and saw in Trump someone who could shake up the status quo. 

They wanted change for the sake of change.   They saw the rest of the candidates as wanting to preserve the status quo.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Wow.  Insightful political commentary from Cracked?  This is the end times.

geronl

I think in a nutshell it was that people are tired of the status quo, and saw in Trump someone who could shake up the status quo. 

Blind and stupid people

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Charlie Hebdos writers were gunned down in Paris by ISIS sympathizers.  A magazine that lampooned religion.

Maybe Cracked finds that as funny too. That's whom these leftists extremists are plugging for.

Offline DB

Charlie Hebdos writers were gunned down in Paris by ISIS sympathizers.  A magazine that lampooned religion.

Maybe Cracked finds that as funny too. That's whom these leftists extremists are plugging for.

You do know Cracked was making the case for Trump, right?

geronl

lol.

There is no case for Trump. Just none.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What does Cracked want?

Thousands of people the victim of genocide per Obama/Clinton's idiotic actions? You can bet they don't write on that.

Low Information Voters like so many others.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This comment is exhibit A in how the Trump caucus will attack just for the sake of attacking and why the caucus has such a bad reputation.

Apart from the headline, this article was almost entirely neutral, almost sympathetic.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

This comment is exhibit A in how the Trump caucus will attack just for the sake of attacking and why the caucus has such a bad reputation.

Apart from the headline, this article was almost entirely neutral, almost sympathetic.

Behold the Bunker Mentality in full effect.

Offline goodwithagun

What does Cracked want?

Thousands of people the victim of genocide per Obama/Clinton's idiotic actions? You can bet they don't write on that.

Low Information Voters like so many others.

Lol! Didn't read the article did you? It's frighteneing how Trump supporters go into attack mode every time his name is mentioned. It's like a weird(er)  version of Pavlov's dog. Im glad I have this forum with which to comment on Trump, otherwise I'd be beaten to a pulp by the anti-freedom MAGAs.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Wingnut

Lol! Didn't read the article did you? It's frighteneing how Trump supporters go into attack mode every time his name is mentioned. It's like a weird(er)  version of Pavlov's dog. Im glad I have this forum with which to comment on Trump, otherwise I'd be beaten to a pulp by the anti-freedom MAGAs.

What do you expect from pod people.

Offline bilo

I'm a rural guy. Trump is not the solution. Getting government out of our lives and returned to the limits of the constitution is the only hope. Trump offers nothing on that front. The government is consuming us.

I'm a city guy. I agree with you, we have different problems, but the cause is the same too much govt and not enough freedom.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Norm Lenhart

I'm a city guy. I agree with you, we have different problems, but the cause is the same too much govt and not enough freedom.

Basically there is not one human related problem on the planet that has not been caused directly by, or made worse by liberalism. Country, city, jungle or desert. Do it as a thought experiment. Pick an issue at random and see of within seconds you can't find liberalism in there. You'll see it's true.

E V E R Y  O N E.

Offline bilo

Basically there is not one human related problem on the planet that has not been caused directly by, or made worse by liberalism. Country, city, jungle or desert. Do it as a thought experiment. Pick an issue at random and see of within seconds you can't find liberalism in there. You'll see it's true.

E V E R Y  O N E.

You are so right.

The problem is liberalism is so alluring to those that don't take the time to think through long term consequences. It's so easy to say that the guy with 2 chickens should give one to the guy who has no chickens because everyone should have one and no one should go hungry. No one asks why doesn't the guy with no chickens have a chicken. Is it something he's doing in his life that keeps him from having a chicken? Does the guy with 2 chickens have a govt created monopoly? What happens to the guy who breeds chickens if we just give them away, will he keep breeding chickens ?

Conservatism is dying because it requires an educated public and a belief in the importance of protecting individual property rights.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline NavyCanDo

Half of America?   There are two Progressives that won the primaries.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:18:01 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rivergirl

The best we can hope for in the future is that the government figures out that we don't want to hear from them, see them in our neighborhood, or get mail from them either.
IOW, LEAVE US ALONE