Author Topic: Evangelical backlash against Trump grows  (Read 748 times)

cuky

Evangelical backlash against Trump grows
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:08:10 am »
THANK YOU TO  mountaineer FOR FINDING THIS ARTICLE.

Evangelical backlash against Trump grows

https://world.wng.org/2016/10/trump_faces_growing_evangelical_backlash

Following WORLD’s call for Trump to drop out of the race, John Piper tweeted, “Of course, Trump should step down as Olasky and Grudem say. So should Hillary.”

Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, told CNN, “Evangelicals are going to have to ask a huge question: Is it worth destroying our moral credibility to support someone who is beneath the baseline level of human decency? ... That’s a far bigger question than the 2016 election.”

The Gospel Coalition editor Joe Carter wrote on Facebook, “The election will be over in 26 days. Your defense of a serial sexual predator will live on the internet for long after. Choosing honor and decency now will pay off for you later. Choose wisely.”
A group of Liberty students called Liberty United Against Trump, though, released a sharp statement decrying the university’s association with the controversial businessman: “Trump does not represent our values, and we want nothing to do with him. … Not only is Donald Trump a bad candidate for president, he is actively promoting the very things that we as Christians ought to oppose.”

About 1,000 Liberty students, faculty, and alumni signed the statement in the first 24 hours after its release. During the Virginia primary, only 8 percent of Liberty students voted for Trump.

Mohler called that approach misguided: “We have to understand we wouldn’t want this man as our next door neighbor, much less an inhabitant of Pennsylvania Avenue. … Long term, I’m afraid people are going to remember evangelicals in this election for supporting the unsupportable and defending the absolutely indefensible.”

Some other well-known evangelicals who have stated their opposition to Trump:

Danny Akin, president, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Rosaria Champagne Butterfield, speaker, author of The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert
Michael Cromartie, author, vice president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center
Andy Crouch, author, executive editor of Christianity Today
Steve Deace, author, host of The Steve Deace Show
Erick Erickson, author at The Resurgent, host of Atlanta’s Evening News with Erick Erickson, former editor of RedState
Max Lucado, best-selling author, preaching pastor of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio
Russell Moore, author, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention
Karen Swallow Prior, author, Liberty University English professor
Owen Strachan, author, associate professor of Christian theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, former president of The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
Jemar L. Tisby, president and co-founder of the Reformed African American Network
Joel Belz, founder of World News Group

Again a big thank you to mountaineer for posting this article in a thread. I thought it needed its own thread.

Online roamer_1

Re: Evangelical backlash against Trump grows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:15:39 am »
Thank you.  This is great.  It's about time we get some coverage of the other side.

But it's not enough without a concerted attempt to show folks that there are candidates they could happily vote *FOR*. I fear Christians will stay home in droves without it... And the downticket will suffer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:16:11 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Evangelical backlash against Trump grows
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:36:45 am »
I know Max Lucado has spoken out about Trump and the election many times.  I am glad Evangelicals are publishing.  But the only thing MSM publishes is how Evangelicals support Trump no matter what he does.  I believe that is because this has been and has become more and more a Satanic tool to shame Christianity.  Evangelical leaders like Fallwel are allowing themselves to be pawns in this spiritual battle.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.