Author Topic: Hillary Clinton, Paul Ryan and the relationship that could shape Washington  (Read 929 times)

Offline libertybele

Hillary Clinton, Paul Ryan and the relationship that could shape Washington

...Nonetheless, their relationship could become Washington’s most important in determining whether the federal government functions over the next four years, should Clinton win the presidency and Ryan retain his majority — as polls show is probable, although not certain, for both.

Ryan’s uneasy relationship with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump — one that appeared to reach its breaking point this week — has been front and center in this year’s melodrama of a campaign. It’s less clear what a Clinton-Ryan relationship would look like.

“It’s fine,” Ryan said flatly when asked about his relationship with Clinton at a late-September breakfast hosted by the Economic Club of Washington. “I’ve only had two or three conversations with her. . . . I can’t really say I know her very well.”

The relationship would hinge on how Clinton decides to begin her presidency. She could claim an electoral mandate and launch a pitched battle to pass the more progressive parts of her agenda. Or she could start with a relatively incremental push on a menu of domestic issues on which she and Ryan have shared interests, including infrastructure investment, criminal-justice issues and anti-poverty measures.

There is a glaring fault line between optimism and pessimism about Clinton and Ryan forging a productive partnership. Some see the pair as policy wonks with pragmatic instincts who are poised to break the logjam. Others say their political caution and entrenched ideologies would prevent them from defying their bases to resolve disputes and build agreements.

“To assume Washington is going to work next year is to assume she’s not Clinton and he’s not Ryan,” said former House speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.), who has been advising Trump and had made legislative pacts with Bill Clinton on issues such as welfare and spending.

“Paul Ryan will not be dealing with Bill Clinton,” Gingrich said. “I had a guy I could talk to who had been the governor of Arkansas and dealt with that state’s legislature and helped to found a centrist organization,” he added, referring to the Democratic Leadership Council. “Hillary, on the other hand, is someone who is hard left. They are totally different people with different instincts.”...

.....“The question for Paul Ryan is, is he going to be a speaker who wants to try and govern with President Clinton or continue to kowtow to the tea party faction?” Van Hollen said. “I think that battle within the Republican caucus is unavoidable. . . . If he wants to get stuff done, he’s going to have to be willing to have that showdown.”

On top of the possible tensions between the speaker and Clinton could be a Senate with a narrow majority, with Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) or Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) as majority leader, depending on election results this fall....

...Clinton probably would face similar pressures. She is distrusted by the Democratic Party’s liberal wing, which fueled the formidable primary challenge of Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.).

Sanders, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and their followers have signaled they would try to halt any move to the middle by a President Clinton on bedrock programs such as Social Security and Medicare, which Ryan has long targeted for sweeping changes...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/two-wonks-one-question-could-hillary-clinton-and-paul-ryan-work-together/2016/10/12/f5bdb73a-8f06-11e6-9c52-0b10449e33c4_story.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

Hillary says, "Jump!"

Ryan says, "How High?"

Online corbe

It's arguable that she has more dirt on Schumer than she does Trump. 

If Ryan can maintain a majority this cycle, probable, He is OUR only hope in the juggernaut of a hellary presidency, we've seen McConnell in action, Schumer is of the same species..
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline r9etb

It’s less clear what a Clinton-Ryan relationship would look like.

That really depends on what's going on in the world and country, both politically and militarily.

Consider how the relationship between GW Bush and Congress was utterly transformed by 9/11.  The entire dynamic changed overnight, and the relationship with both R's and D's was shaped by it for the next 8 years. 

Should something of like importance occur in Hillary's term -- as it almost certainly will, in some form -- then the relationship between Ryan and Clinton will be defined by it.

On the other hand, should nothing momentous happen, then I think the dynamic will be pretty much oppositional, especially since Clinton cannot count on the sort of slavish protection granted to Obama by the media.

Offline dfwgator

He is OUR only hope in the juggernaut of a hellary presidency, 

We are so screwed.

Offline libertybele

If Ryan can maintain a majority this cycle, probable, He is OUR only hope in the juggernaut of a hellary presidency, we've seen McConnell in action, Schumer is of the same species..

Quite honestly, I don't think we're going to have to worry about McConnell.  I really don't hold out much hope of holding the Senate.  With that being said, if we may hold onto the House, but I also anticipate that we're going to lose some seats and won't have the super majority that we have now.  It's going to be tough for Ryan to hold the line and perhaps impossible once amnesty and massive Muslim immigration takes place.  Those in the House will be worried about keeping their seats and will try to appease the leftists as they have in the past.  Hillary gets in, without a Senate majority, it's over anyways.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

Quite honestly, I don't think we're going to have to worry about McConnell.  I really don't hold out much hope of holding the Senate.  With that being said, if we may hold onto the House, but I also anticipate that we're going to lose some seats and won't have the super majority that we have now.  It's going to be tough for Ryan to hold the line and perhaps impossible once amnesty and massive Muslim immigration takes place.  Those in the House will be worried about keeping their seats and will try to appease the leftists as they have in the past.  Hillary gets in, without a Senate majority, it's over anyways.

With Boner and Ryan, it's like Pelosi never left.

Oceander

With Boner and Ryan, it's like Pelosi never left.

:facepalm2:

Offline dfwgator

On the other hand, should nothing momentous happen, then I think the dynamic will be pretty much oppositional, especially since Clinton cannot count on the sort of slavish protection granted to Obama by the media.

She'll have the same media force field around her as Obama, because of her gender.

Offline Night Hides Not

Great...Ma Chalmers and Wesley Mouch working together. They will be bound together by a common enemy: TEA Partiers.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.