Author Topic: ‘I Think He’s a Very Dangerous Man for the Next Three or Four Weeks’  (Read 1338 times)

Offline sinkspur

‘I Think He’s a Very Dangerous Man for the Next Three or Four Weeks’

At one of the most explosive moments of the campaign — and with a month to go — Politico Magazine reconvened the top Trumpologists to dissect The Donald’s final days as a candidate and what comes next.

By SUSAN B. GLASSER and MICHAEL KRUSE October 12, 2016

Back in early March, Politico Magazine brought together five Donald Trump biographers for a conversation over lunch at Trump Tower. At the time, the country was just beginning to grapple with the reality that the presidential nominee from one of the two major American political parties stood a good chance of being a real estate mogul and entertainer. Wayne Barrett, Gwenda Blair, Michael D’Antonio, Harry Hurt and Timothy O’Brien knew him better than anybody, had studied him more than anybody, had written an aggregate 2,195 pages in books.

So much has happened over the past seven months: the crackpot conspiracy theories, the rageful late-night Twitter tirades, the surges and slides in the polls, an onslaught of investigative reporting that painted him as a racist, sexist, selfish, uncharitable, lying predator. So we thought it was time, especially in the wake of “grab them by the bleep,” for an emergency reconvening of the Trumpologists.

In a conference call on Monday with Barrett, Blair, D’Antonio and O’Brien, the biographers were unanimous in their assessment of what we are seeing: They are not surprised. Trump is who they thought he was. This, they said, is not a show. It is not an act. This is the man they wrote about. In 1992. In 1993. In 1999. In 2005. In 2015. This is a man who has been one of the most famous people in America for going on 40 years. Only now, though, are many people, finally, really, getting to know Donald John Trump.

He is, the biographers said, “profoundly narcissistic,” “willing to go to lengths we’ve never seen before in order to satisfy his ego”—and “a very dangerous man for the next three or four weeks.” And after that? “This time, it’s going to be a straight‑out loss on the biggest stage he’s ever been on,” one biographer predicted. And yet: “As long as he’s remembered, maybe it won’t matter to him.”

Susan Glasser: First of all, I’m super grateful to everybody for this, what we’re calling, “The Emergency Session of the Trumpologists.” Not only has a lot gone on since our first conversation back in the spring, but the last three days since the release of the Trump tape, the second debate and the implosion of the campaign has really, I think, led us all to want to talk with the people who spent the most time studying and thinking about Trump. What does he do in his paramount moment of crisis? Help us to make sense of the sort of tumult unfolding around us.

Michael Kruse talked to a few of you for a very good piece he did yesterday, trying to take this into account, and he made the point that, on the one hand, this seems all totally unprecedented in American politics; on the other hand, it seems somehow utterly predictable in the context of the personality of Donald Trump. I thought that was a good starting point for this discussion today. Let the emergency session begin.

Michael Kruse: So this past Friday when you all heard the hot mic tape from the gossip show bus, were you surprised?

Gwenda Blair: No.

Michael D’Antonio: Raise your voice if you were surprised.

Blair: Yeah. I don’t think any of us were surprised.

Kruse: Why not?

Wayne Barrett: Well, I would have to say that “grabbing by the bleep” was a little surprising to me. You know, thrusting his tongue down whatever mouth was available wasn’t much of a surprise, but “grabbing by the bleep” was not something I had anticipated.

Timothy O’Brien: I think he’s always been a skirt chaser. I guess, you know, in that context, it didn’t surprise me. I think he’s always boasted about the things that he’s the most insecure about, which is his wealth, his intellect and his sex appeal. And, you know, he’s held James Bond and Hugh Hefner out as role models. And I don’t think that’s evolved for him much since the age of 12.

Glasser: But James Bond didn’t have to force himself on women. So my question for this group is: Is he merely a foul‑mouthed guy, or is it possible that he is acting on these words in some way, that he is somehow aggressive or violent toward women?

Barrett: They talk about this as if this is locker room bragging, and really, I was in a lot of locker rooms and I never heard anything like this. Men don’t brag about forcing themselves on women. They want to paint themselves as desirable, and, you know, he doesn’t look like a stud here. He looks like a predator. I’ve never heard men talk this way. This is boasting of something that shows your own weakness. It shows, you know, that a woman doesn’t want you; whereas, most boasts in these kind of scenarios are about women who do want you.

Blair: I think that’s a super important distinction. I haven’t hung out in locker rooms, guys, so I’ve got to take your word for it. But my impression is it’s more like, “Women, you know, couldn’t wait to have me,” not that “I was able to force myself on her.” But, also, the frame of mind that women are objects, which, I mean—this just in, that’s not new, but the degree to which that permeates everything, I think, is stunning.

O’Brien: And then that they’re objects that are there for his taking because he’s a predatory personality…

Blair: Dominating, an alpha male and having a woman as arm candy. She’s just arm candy.

More

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/donald-trump-2016-biographers-214350#ixzz4MukIT1Ec
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

I thought this would be about Obama.

Online LMAO

From the article

"I think we’ve learned that the leadership of the GOP lacks courage, that their party’s internal division triumphed over any adherence to conservative values, classic conservative values, and that the leadership of that party waited until the eleventh hour to distance itself from Trump and still hasn’t completely, that there’s a complete lack of political courage in this country
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:11:05 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Keep him away from 5th Ave...  :whistle:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
A really fascinating read, I thought.  From the article:

Glasser: Based on what you know about his personality from having studied it and written about it, how do you see him handling the next three weeks, given that he’s now in this hole? To me, his combative behavior since the release of the tape, his lack of remorse, his going on the offense, his complaining that it’s not fair, essentially, his going to war even against his own party seems very consistent with the person that you all have done such a good job of describing. So what does he do for the next three weeks? Is there a point at which he gives up, stops fighting? How can he be a loser for three weeks before the actual election?

O’Brien: I think he is just going to wage a scorch‑the‑earth campaign for the next three weeks. And if he loses, which I think he’s going to—I think he’s going to lose badly—he’s then going to come up with a scenario in which it was stolen from him, that the election was rigged, because he’s survived by creating alternate realities. And he’ll never say to himself he lost because he had a skeletal campaign operation, which he did; that he lost because he’s unappealing to a large swath of the voters; that he lost because he’s willfully ignorant about public policy; that he lost because he’s a nasty and unappealing bigot. He’ll never, ever acknowledge any of that. He’ll just come up with an alternate reality that said, “It was rigged against me.”

We see Trump already laying the groundwork for this, with his accusations of the GOPe and Paul Ryan making "secret deals" to throw the election...
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

No kidding.  I definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of his rallies, I fear that his supporters are going to become just as unhinged with his provocation. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

Hell the damn fool has tried everything else he might as well shoot someone.  It will be a good career move. Every day is just a role of the dice, and for Trump snake eyes is just a way of life.

Oceander

It's a good thing I don't have to cross 5th on my way to work!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yep !!  It may be finally entering his consciousness that he's losing and it has to be someone else's fault.

And his supporters are right there with him.  They will raise hell about it for a couple of weeks but then what?

It will be interesting to see.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LadyLiberty

Interesting read, @sinkspur .  Thanks for posting.