Author Topic: A new poll shows a tie in Utah. Be skeptical. Be amazed.  (Read 1331 times)

HonestJohn

A new poll shows a tie in Utah. Be skeptical. Be amazed.
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:33:37 pm »
By Philip Bump
October 12

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/12/a-new-poll-shows-a-tie-in-utah-be-skeptical-be-amazed/

The last four polls in Utah suggest something of a pattern.

Public Policy Polling surveyed in the state in mid-August — near Hillary Clinton's peak nationally — and found Donald Trump leading her by 20 points. In early September, UtahPolicy.com released a survey showing Trump with a 15-point lead and introducing independent candidate Evan McMullin, who got 9 percent. In mid-September, the Salt Lake Tribune found that Trump had a nine-point lead over Clinton, with McMullin at 12.

20-15-9. McMullin at 0-9-12. You see where this is going.

On Wednesday morning, Deseret News reported on a new poll in the state from a Utah-based company called Y2 Analytics. Trump's lead in this poll is 0 percent, a tie with Clinton at 26 percent support. McMullin has jumped to 22 percent, within the margin of error, and Libertarian Gary Johnson is at 16.

There's not a lot of polling done in Utah, so it's worth remembering that this is one poll, in isolation. And that said: Dang.

It's fair to assume that there has been a shift in the state in recent days. In the wake of the release of the hot-mic tape from 2005, a number of Republicans called on Trump to step down or revoked their endorsements of him. Many were from centrist districts, but politicians from Utah were a clear outlier, speaking out against Trump despite being from deep-red areas. In the primaries, Trump fared particularly poorly in Utah, a result that was generally attributed to skepticism from Mormon voters.

So what if? What if Trump doesn't win Utah? The electoral math quickly gets tricky.

(more at link)

Offline LMAO

Re: A new poll shows a tie in Utah. Be skeptical. Be amazed.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
I am confident in saying Donald Trump will winUtah but at a much smaller margin  than  past GOP candidates
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
It's amazing that McMullin, who has zero chance of winning on the first electoral ballot, is still polling so well.

If it weren't for he and Johnson splitting the third-party vote, the Utah Wrench would actually be almost a given at this point—38% of people of an entire state voting for a candidate not in the major parties? (And if you think this is a fluke, think again. Johnson and McMullin have combined for at least 25% in other polls as well.)

I'm rooting for McMullin to take Utah and Johnson to take some of the other Western states. As much as I have questions about McMullin's past, and Johnson's policies, either would be preferable to either Clinton or Trump.

Let this be the beginning of a much bigger sea change in American politics.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:12:56 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:22:38 pm »
It's amazing that McMullin, who has zero chance of winning on the first electoral ballot, is still polling so well.

If it weren't for he and Johnson splitting the third-party vote, the Utah Wrench would actually be almost a given at this point—38% of people of an entire state voting for a candidate not in the major parties? (And if you think this is a fluke, think again. Johnson and McMullin have combined for at least 25% in other polls as well.)

I'm rooting for McMullin to take Utah and Johnson to take some of the other Western states. As much as I have questions about McMullin's past, and Johnson's policies, either would be preferable to either Clinton or Trump.

All 3rd party candidate have made amazing progress this election. It would be absolutely wonderful if they deny Trump or Clinton the majority.  Unfortunately, with so much corruption going on I just don't see that happening and even if it did I think the House would still give it to Hillary; especially with Ryan and others refusing to back Trump.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »

Well if that happens it is going to the House..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:01:53 pm »
All 3rd party candidate have made amazing progress this election.
Well, except for the Greens. They're still stuck at 4%, not much higher than they got with Nader.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

Well if that happens it is going to the House..

Longshot, but we can hope!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:22:41 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:38 am »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 03:22:10 am »
All 3rd party candidate have made amazing progress this election. It would be absolutely wonderful if they deny Trump or Clinton the majority.  Unfortunately, with so much corruption going on I just don't see that happening and even if it did I think the House would still give it to Hillary; especially with Ryan and others refusing to back Trump.

I can see the House "comprimising" and giving it to the third party candidate.

The central banks can't keep this economic nonsense going forever.  Set the third party candidate up for the fall, sabotage them at every turn for the next four years, and show the American people that there is no alternative to the Uniparty.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 04:43:44 am »
I can see the House "comprimising" and giving it to the third party candidate.

The central banks can't keep this economic nonsense going forever.  Set the third party candidate up for the fall, sabotage them at every turn for the next four years, and show the American people that there is no alternative to the Uniparty.

I'd love to see them try. Probably would succeed, but at least it would be a hope!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:53 am »

The moron is splitting the third party vote, possibly giving the state to Hillary.

What an idiot and so are his voters IMO.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »

The moron is splitting the third party vote, possibly giving the state to Hillary.

McMullin is polling at 22% and Johnson at 14%.  I don't see that they are splitting the vote, I see them as possibly denying Hillary or Trump the majority.  I certainly don't see their voters as idiots.  I see them as voting their consciences and refusing to vote for evil!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-utah-could-pick-neither-trump-nor-1476274050-htmlstory.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 01:54:58 pm »
McMullin is polling at 22% and Johnson at 14%.  I don't see that they are splitting the vote, I see them as possibly denying Hillary or Trump the majority.  I certainly don't see their voters as idiots.  I see them as voting their consciences and refusing to vote for evil!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-utah-could-pick-neither-trump-nor-1476274050-htmlstory.html

22% AND 14% is splitting the vote, hate to tell you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 03:20:34 pm »

Yes, Johnson is taking from the third-party vote and he should drop out, but I don't know that McMullin would pick up much of his votes.
+++++++++

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
Yes, Johnson is taking from the third-party vote and he should drop out, but I don't know that McMullin would pick up much of his votes.

McGuffin is a clown with $3000 in his campaign coffers and 0 name recognition.