Author Topic: A Nation in Denial  (Read 372 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
A Nation in Denial
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »
By Jim Geraghty
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440957/2016-bipartisan-political-denial

Let’s hope 2016 will someday be remembered as the culmination of a long era of bipartisan American denial.

This election marks the end of Barack Obama’s presidency, an eight-year stretch during which the White House kept insisting
that things weren’t as bad as they seemed, that the solution was just around the corner, that things were getting better, and
that anyone who said otherwise was just a dishonest partisan. “Recovery Summer.” “The system worked.” “If you like your plan,
you can keep your plan.” “ISIS is a jayvee team.” “The world has never been less violent, healthier, better educated, more
tolerant, with more opportunity for more people, and more connected than it is today.”

Hillary Clinton denied that she had any classified information in her private e-mails, unconvincingly acted like she didn’t know
what “wiping” a server meant, insisted that FBI director James Comey had called her “truthful,” denied that she’d called the
Trans-Pacific Partnership the “gold standard” of trade deals, and, when asked whether she had ever lied to the American people,
answered, “I don’t believe I ever have! I don’t believe I ever have, I don’t believe I ever will.”

Democrats remained in denial about their front-runner’s weaknesses, and about the staleness of their agenda. They insist ISIS
can be defeated with vague talk of an “intelligence surge.” That another round of infrastructure spending — one suspiciously
similar to the stimulus passed early in Obama’s first term — will spur new economic growth. That Hillary Clinton will increase
Social Security payments to widows and to those who took paid family leave during their career, expand Obamacare, provide
two years of tuition-free community college, allow existing student loans to be refinanced at lower rates, and reduce the deficit,
paying for it all by getting the rich to “pay their fair share.” It’s all familiar because Democrats have tried it all before, and
it’s never worked.

Republican officeholders remained in denial about the mood of the party’s primary voters and the condition of their lives. Heroin
and opioid addiction weren’t faraway problems. Far too many small-town Americans were gripped by the collapse of the family,
the disappearance of jobs, the spread of addiction, and spiraling debts. Republican candidates went on campaigning as if it were
any other election, and they paid the price when millions of these struggling Americans turned to Donald Trump as a political
savior.

Trump’s supporters, meanwhile, remained in adamant denial about the flaws of their preferred candidate. He knew little about
the details of policy and had no interest in learning. He didn’t know what he didn’t know, and he didn’t care that he didn’t care.
His offensive rhetoric alienated African Americans, Latinos, Millennials, and many women — all demographics that Republican
leaders had previously wanted to win over, to the extent they could. Wealth and power had insulated him from most of the
ordinary hardships of life. But he knew resentment and vindictiveness when he saw it, and he knew how to turn it to his own
advantage.

Well, up to a point, anyway. It has been maddening to watch Trump remain in denial about the need to do the basic work of a
presidential candidate. He denied that he needed his own get-out-the-vote efforts, outsourcing his ground game to the Republican
National Committee. He denied that he needed more than a handful of offices in swing states. He denied that he needed to do
much television advertising, relying instead on the free coverage he could generate at will on cable news just by opening his
mouth.

The man who couldn’t stop talking about polls in the primaries, when he was winning, suddenly denied that polls meant anything
once he trailed in the general. When no polls showed him leading, he simply insisted that they did. In Trump’s orbit, every bad
poll was dismissed as enemy propaganda. Any indication that the campaign was not succeeding had to be rejected as heresy. Any
Republican who pointed out Trump’s obvious failures and flaws had to be deemed an apostate or traitor. Every bit of bad news
had to be a lie.

Then, days before the second debate, the electorate got to hear the raw, unvarnished Trump, an eleven-year-old tape on which
he boasted of his ability to do whatever he wanted to do with women, sans consequences . . . and his Evangelical supporters went
into denial about his character. Pat Robertson explained away the tape’s contents as “a conversation in Hollywood where he’s trying
to look like he’s macho.” Steve Scheffler, head of the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition, concluded, “The Bible tells me that we are
all sinners saved by grace and I don’t think there’s probably a person alive that I know of that hasn’t made some mistakes in the
past.” Jerry Falwell Jr. posed for a photo in Trump’s office with his wife, Becki; visible in the background was the Playboy magazine
cover featuring Trump and curvy cover model Brandi Brant.

The easiest way to deal with a problem is to ignore it. The trouble is that the problem usually gets worse while it’s ignored, so that
by the time we’re done ignoring it, most good options are no longer available. This election appears poised to end a long period of
American political and cultural denial. Whatever comes next, it won’t be painless.
=========================================================

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.