Author Topic: Fix the debates by making them reality TV  (Read 287 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Fix the debates by making them reality TV
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »
Fix the debates by making them reality TV
By Stephen Carter Bloomberg View
Published Oct. 10, 2016

I really hate the presidential debates. I bet you do too. This isn't the first year they have been all but unwatchable. So I propose a handful of minor but useful reforms (for those who want to fix them) and a radical reform (for those who think them unfixable).

First among the minor reforms is more time for answers. Granting aspirants to the most powerful office in the world only two minutes to explain complex positions (and less time than that to rebut) is absurd. It tests no actual skill, unless we count the skills of memorizing lines or saying the first thing that comes to mind. Certainly the time limits leave no space for persuading the audience rather than simply stating a view. If we don't let candidates have at least eight minutes -- the standard for most forms of high school debate -- then we're doing more harm than good.

Second, there is no reason that the moderator has to be a journalist, and a lot of good reasons to pick someone else. The presence of a journalist on stage encourages our quadrennial round of dumping on the moderator for letting Candidate A get away with saying Y, as though what we call a debate is really a joint news conference, but with a higher power present to cry "Gotcha!" In a true debate, the moderator's voice is muted. It's understood that the purpose of the exercise is to hear the proponents of each side, not to hear the moderator. Pointing out lies or errors or inconsistencies is the opponent's job. The debaters argue; the moderator keeps time....
Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/1016/carter101016.php3#IJDsx2FxFXGsScSj.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

Re: Fix the debates by making them reality TV
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »
Fix the debates by doing them like the Nixon-Kennedy Debate.