Author Topic: Focused Trump trounces Hillary at testy second debate By John Podhoretz  (Read 1103 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Opinion
2016 presidential debates
Focused Trump trounces Hillary at testy second debate

By John Podhoretz

October 10, 2016 | 12:13am

History’s weirdest election just got a lot weirder last night. After a horrendous two weeks capped by the ultimate presidential candidate’s weekend from Hell, Donald Trump turned around and trounced Hillary Clinton in the second presidential debate.

As Samuel Johnson said, the prospect of a hanging can concentrate the mind — and after an opening 10 minutes in which he looked as though he was going to blow himself up with rage at Bill Clinton, Trump suddenly and surprisingly found the focus that had eluded him two weeks ago.

He came right at her — and on policy, yet. He hit her effectively on her email scandal, on the Democratic Party’s commitment to ObamaCare, on her ineffectuality as a senator when it came to changing the tax policies she claims he abuses as a wealthy person, and on the administration’s energy policies.

Clinton made a crucial choice in the early going. As Trump went after her husband for his sexual boorishness, she neither attempted to rebut him nor use his as a weapon. Instead, she echoed Michelle Obama’s claim at the Democratic convention that “when they go low, we go high.” By announcing she wasn’t going to get personal, she ceded any sharp edge in the proceedings to Trump.

Her hope was clearly that he would lose it due to her calmness. But except for two moments that were gasp-inducing in their directness — Trump saying he’d appoint a special prosecutor to go after her on the emails and later saying Hillary “has a lot of hate in her heart” — Trump did not get personal.

more
http://nypost.com/2016/10/10/focused-trump-trounces-hillary-at-testy-second-debate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline For-Q-Clinton

Re: Focused Trump trounces Hillary at testy second debate By John Podhoretz
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:51:14 pm »
Saying he'd appoint a special prosecutor really isn't getting personal.  That's policy in my book...it's a law and order type policy.  We are a nation of one set of laws for everyone and he will enforce them--even on Hillary (and by the looks of Bill's face I think Trump must have hit a note with that line).

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »
Saying he'd appoint a special prosecutor really isn't getting personal.  That's policy in my book...it's a law and order type policy.  We are a nation of one set of laws for everyone and he will enforce them--even on Hillary (and by the looks of Bill's face I think Trump must have hit a note with that line).

@For-Q-Clinton

Agree

But I'm so jaded that, short of going into a schoolroom full of kids and gunning them down, nothing will ever happen to her.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline For-Q-Clinton

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:20:48 pm »
@For-Q-Clinton

Agree

But I'm so jaded that, short of going into a schoolroom full of kids and gunning them down, nothing will ever happen to her.

Hell if she gunned down children and then called for gun controls--people would still vote for her saying she's trying to solve the problem that allowed her to do that.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:28:04 pm »
Hillary didn't and doesn't want to take him out yet.  Had she unloaded on Trump last night, it would have given the RNC the excuse to try to squeeze him out and put somebody else in who could beat her.

No, she wants him to continue to bleed, just not very much.  And, we all know that more trash is going to be dumped on Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »
"after an opening 10 minutes in which he looked as though he was going to blow himself up with rage at Bill Clinton"

I guess the Clintons won't be guests at Trump's next wedding....
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline For-Q-Clinton

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »
Hillary didn't and doesn't want to take him out yet.  Had she unloaded on Trump last night, it would have given the RNC the excuse to try to squeeze him out and put somebody else in who could beat her.

No, she wants him to continue to bleed, just not very much.  And, we all know that more trash is going to be dumped on Trump.

I don't think that's accurate.  At this point voting is already occurring and it's too late in the game to switch candidates in all states.  So in many states they are stuck with Trump on the ballot.  The GOP were just bailing because they didn't want to hurt their reelection chances, but anyway you slice it no way does he drop out and get replaced with someone that has a chance of winning.  They are stuck with him at this point.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:45:34 am »
Interesting commentary by Mr. Podhoretz. (and yes, I read it all)

Wait a minute! I thought he was on the side of the n'ertrumpers.

What happened?