Author Topic: Gary Johnson: GOP officials pledge support after Trump gaffe  (Read 1567 times)

Offline libertybele

Gary Johnson: GOP officials pledge support after Trump gaffe
« on: October 09, 2016, 06:50:24 pm »
Obviously not many have looked up his very liberal record and certainly not my 3rd party choice.  Nonetheless ... he'd be better than both Trump and Clinton.

Gary Johnson: GOP officials pledge support after Trump gaffe

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson says he's receiving support from GOP officials after a video was released of Donald Trump making lewd comments about women in 2005.

In the video, which was released by The Washington Post, Trump can be heard saying vulgar terms about kissing and touching women.

On Saturday before a rally at the University of New Mexico, Johnson called Trump's comments "not presidential" and "over the top."

"I would have never said something like that in my entire lifetime, and his apology was not an apology at all," Johnson said.

Trump has since apologized saying that the incident doesn't reflect who he is today, and that the conversation was "locker room talk."

Johnson said that's no excuse.

"Those are comments that I don't think are acceptable in a locker room," Johnson said.

Johnson told Action 7 News that he's received an overwhelming amount of support from dozens of GOP officials since the video was released.

"It's such a massive amount that the campaign can't even begin to deal with it at the moment," Johnson said. "They're wanting to know how they can lend their support, and what's the best way they can communicate their support because they're done."

Johnson is still a long shot to win the White House, but the backlash surrounding Trump may help him siphon more votes from the GOP candidate.

It could even help Johnson win New Mexico, where polls show him within striking distance of Trump and Clinton.

Johnson has been snubbed so far when it comes to participating in the presidential debates, but experts believe he can have a real impact as a third-party candidate with the general election just a month away.

He will spend the next few days in New Mexico campaigning. Officials say Johnson will then head to states where he's polling well.

http://www.koat.com/news/gary-johnson-gop-officials-pledge-support-after-trump-gaffe/42026694
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

Re: Gary Johnson: GOP officials pledge support after Trump gaffe
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:55:37 pm »
Good - the disaffected conservatives need to turn out and support a third party candidate.  It doesn't matter which one.  Just drive down Biff's share of the total.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Good - the disaffected conservatives need to turn out and support a third party candidate.  It doesn't matter which one.  Just drive down Biff's share of the total.
As I call it, the wrench vote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:57:44 pm »
Sounds good to me. He's kind of a moron but he's likable, more so than Trump or Hillary.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 06:59:11 pm »
Gary Johnson on the issues; strongly pro amnesty and strongly favors reducing military.  Both issues I strongly disagree with him on. He is however, pro 2nd amendment.  Not sure how he would stack the SCOTUS.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:59:46 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 07:01:45 pm »
Sounds good to me. He's kind of a moron but he's likable, more so than Trump or Hillary.

Goof is probably a better word than Moron. He didn't start out with a multi million dollar empire and millions of his daddy's money..

he started out with nothing and created a multi-million dollar business..

He also turned his state's economy around, leaving massive surpluses while greatly reducing government and intrusion into businesses and individual lives.

...and he won overwhelmingly Republicans and Democrats on this approach...

He isn't perfect, but if you want a place holder who will at least work towards limiting government and not promote centralized authoritarian rule, he is an option to consider.

He is also the other option to consider who is polling enough to make an electoral impact.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:02:12 pm »
Gary Johnson on the issues; strongly pro amnesty and strongly favors reducing military.  Both issues I strongly disagree with him on. He is however, pro 2nd amendment.  Not sure how he would stack the SCOTUS.

He mentioned the name Andrew Napolitano as a potential nominee, if I'm not mistaken.

I would suspect his nominees to be in the vein of Anthony Kennedy —mostly reliable, but sometimes frustrating "betrayals," especially on social issues.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 07:04:02 pm »

No such thing as the perfect candidate.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »

He also is for eliminating welfare benefits for illegals, thus shutting off the magnet that attracts the criminal and moocher element. He is wrong on immigration as a whole, but his position would reuduce a lot of the problems we have withe the results of illegal immigration.

His reduction of the military is based on limiting their involvement in issues that don't pertain to our National Security.  He isn't one of those Ron Paul, shut down all military bases around the world types.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 07:06:17 pm »
He mentioned the name Andrew Napolitano as a potential nominee, if I'm not mistaken.

I would suspect his nominees to be in the vein of Anthony Kennedy —mostly reliable, but sometimes frustrating "betrayals," especially on social issues.

Out of all the candidates, he is the one would wouldn't appoint activist judges over certain issues, but originalists.

This won't make most Democrats or Republicans happy because they want activists judges that promote their issues.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »
Switching support to Johnson is like switching support to the third clown in the clown car.
The Republic is lost.

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Switching support to Johnson is like switching support to the third clown in the clown car.

Since they are all clowns in the car...

...what's your point?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 09:49:53 pm »
Since they are all clowns in the car...

...what's your point?

He's just as much of a problem as they are, and no solution. The guy isn't going to do what it takes to reverse the country's direction either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 10:02:40 pm »
He's just as much of a problem as they are, and no solution. The guy isn't going to do what it takes to reverse the country's direction either.
But he just might stall it, or at least slow it down, as opposed to hitting the accelerator pedal the way Trump and Clinton likely will.

It's buying time, not looking for a savior. At this point, it's our best option.