Author Topic: Cops used a helicopter and the National Guard to take an 81-year-old woman’s medical marijuana plant  (Read 572 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Rarely is it so purely stupid as it is in the case of 81-year-old Margaret Holcomb, a Massachusetts woman who was growing a single pot plant in her garden so she could use medicinal marijuana for her arthritis, glaucoma and trouble sleeping.

Alerted of this dangerous criminal mastermind, the Massachusetts State Police rang up the National Guard and arranged for a military-style helicopter raid on her property in late September......

....The silliest part of all this is that medical marijuana is legal in Massachusetts if you get a special card from the state — though apparently Massachusetts State Police have no qualms about illegally confiscating plants even from cancer patients who have filed all the right paperwork......

http://rare.us/story/cops-used-a-helicopter-and-the-national-guard-to-take-an-81-year-old-womans-medical-marijuana-plant/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Maggie, surrounded by jackboots, was at a loss. Then she remembered her .12...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Resp3

It's all about the taxes. IF Granny had bought the pot - and paid all applicable state sales taxes - then the authorities would have been happy.

Grow your own? Not gonna happen.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Two of Margaret’s children were having lunch at their mom’s house when they noticed armed men sneaking through her raspberry patch as a helicopter hovered overhead. Margaret herself wasn’t home, so her son, Tim Holcomb, asked the officers what they were doing. “It’s scary as hell,” he recalled of his experience watching the troops swarm his mother’s backyard.

When Tim Holcomb challenged the officers, he says, they told him not to demand a warrant or otherwise get in their way if he didn’t want to risk criminal charges.

I'm wondering how exactly you can by arrested for obstruction by demanding a warrant. If they have none then the police are engaging in criminal activity in the form of an illegal raid. Seems like some contradictory bubba logic there.

The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I'm wondering how exactly you can by arrested for obstruction by demanding a warrant. If they have none then the police are engaging in criminal activity in the form of an illegal raid. Seems like some contradictory bubba logic there.

It is a simple matter of knowing your rights. What sucks is they do arrest you and you have to try and afford the legal costs of taking them to task. Which they know and so they get away with the crap.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley