Author Topic: DONALD TRUMP IS TEARING THE NFL APART  (Read 1084 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

DONALD TRUMP IS TEARING THE NFL APART
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:21:53 pm »
SOURCE: BLEACHER REPORT

URL: http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/donald-trump-is-tearing-the-nfl-apart/

BY MIKE FREEMAN

Fights. Friendships ended. Racial divides. Requirements not to talk about a combustible candidate on team property. B/R Mag’s examination of the football locker room electorate reveals that America’s most popular sport is just as politically divided as the nation itself

Six months ago, Rex Ryan stood before a roaring crowd in Buffalo and gave a pep talk. This was not an unfamiliar scene for the Bills head coach, except for maybe the suit and tie. Well, that and the subject of his four-minute speech: Donald J. Trump.

“There’s so many things I admire about Mr. Trump, but one thing I really admire about him is—you know what—he’ll say what’s on his mind,” Ryan said. “And so many times, you’ll see people—a lot of people—want to say the same thing. But there’s a big difference: They don’t have the courage to say it. They all think it, but they don’t have the courage to say it. And Donald Trump certainly has the courage to say it.”

Back in the Bills locker room, however, Ryan’s staff was less impressed with the Republican candidate for president—and that their boss was backing him. A Bills player said when he learned Ryan had spoken at Trump’s rally, he simply couldn’t believe it. “Rex is such an open-minded guy, a really good person,” said the player, who asked not to be identified, fearing repercussions from the Bills. “But the fact he could back someone as closed-minded as Trump genuinely shocked me.”

The player, who is black, emphasized that teammates’ frustration with their coach’s public endorsement was not universal. But in private discussions, he said, “Some of the African-American players on the team weren’t happy about Rex doing that.”

Bleacher Report
Six months ago, Rex Ryan stood before a roaring crowd in Buffalo and gave a pep talk. This was not an unfamiliar scene for the Bills head coach, except for maybe the suit and tie. Well, that and the subject of his four-minute speech: Donald J. Trump.

“There’s so many things I admire about Mr. Trump, but one thing I really admire about him is—you know what—he’ll say what’s on his mind,” Ryan said. “And so many times, you’ll see people—a lot of people—want to say the same thing. But there’s a big difference: They don’t have the courage to say it. They all think it, but they don’t have the courage to say it. And Donald Trump certainly has the courage to say it.”

Back in the Bills locker room, however, Ryan’s staff was less impressed with the Republican candidate for president—and that their boss was backing him. A Bills player said when he learned Ryan had spoken at Trump’s rally, he simply couldn’t believe it. “Rex is such an open-minded guy, a really good person,” said the player, who asked not to be identified, fearing repercussions from the Bills. “But the fact he could back someone as closed-minded as Trump genuinely shocked me.”

The player, who is black, emphasized that teammates’ frustration with their coach’s public endorsement was not universal. But in private discussions, he said, “Some of the African-American players on the team weren’t happy about Rex doing that.”

Bleacher Report
Rex Ryan (left) shares the stage with Donald Trump after introducing Trump during a campaign stop Monday, April 18, 2016, in Buffalo, N.Y. (AP Images)

Indeed, said another black player on the Bills who requested anonymity to speak freely about tensions swirling with a combination of protests led by Colin Kaepernick and a combustible candidate: “I see Trump as someone who is hostile to people of color, and the fact that Rex supports him made me look at him completely differently, and not in a positive way.”

Ryan declined to comment, but at least one white Buffalo player—Richie Incognito, the offensive lineman notorious for a bullying scandal that included racial slurs and who has now become a force in the Bills clubhouse—insists that Trump’s winning message has resonated with NFL players like him.

“I think that he can help this nation get back to a world superpower,” Incognito told B/R Mag. “Where I think he could help is putting us first again and having that—it's my mentality, too—having that tough attitude where you put America first and everyone's thinking we're the greatest nation in the world. Don't mess with America. That toughness is where I identify with him.”

Interviews by B/R Mag with dozens of NFL players about Trump over the past four months reveal that scenes of a divided America sparked by the candidate have been replicated inside at least a half-dozen locker rooms of its most popular sport. Some players cite low-level confrontations. Others say friendships have ended. Many see a toughness that could cross political boundaries and a business acumen that’s attractive to the likes of Tom Brady, only for the candidate’s racial bluster to spark more outrage. At least one coach has insisted there be no more player discussions of Trump—not a ban on politics in general, just Trump—while on team property.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: DONALD TRUMP IS TEARING THE NFL APART
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:22:12 pm »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:22:54 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »
Wow. That's a LOT of REALLY stupid people all on one poll!

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 03:38:01 pm »
   There's White people in the NFL? That's news to me.   100% of nothing is still nothing.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
He is just bitter cause the NFL beat him when he owned the USFL team..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:41:12 pm »
He is just bitter cause the NFL beat him when he owned the USFL team..

Actually the USFL did win the case.......and were awarded $3 in damages.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »
Actually the USFL did win the case.......and were awarded $3 in damages.

True, but where is the USFL now?? In fact a lot of former USFL team owners regret listening to Donald.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 04:14:52 pm »
43 players?  Yeah, that's really representative.

Frankly, this is a dumbass poll and a dumbass article.  Trump is not "tearing the NFL apart."  One team, a couple of guys.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
43 players?  Yeah, that's really representative.

Frankly, this is a dumbass poll and a dumbass article.  Trump is not "tearing the NFL apart."  One team, a couple of guys.

Not everything is about Trump.