Author Topic: Kaine’s bad performance matters more than you think  (Read 507 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kaine’s bad performance matters more than you think
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:30:08 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/10/kaines_bad_performance_matters_more_than_you_think.html

October 5, 2016
Kaine’s bad performance matters more than you think
By Thomas Lifson

It is now a received truth of punditry that vice presidential debates don’t matter.  The humiliation Dan Quayle experienced at the hand of Lloyd Bentsen did not hand the presidency to Michael Dukakis, after all.  But I think this year could be different.

The reason is fairly simple.  For the critical swing constituency, the uncommitted, the question has become “which candidate do I dislike less?”

Most undecided people will make their choice (including the choice not to vote) based on a gut feel, a sense of the person they are choosing.  And the vice president nominee can affect the gut feel for those who have no overwhelming preference.  After all, the “team” image allows for the possibility that the running mate could moderate or leaven the dislike of the top of the ticket.  I think this is particularly true for Pence, because Trump has never held political office and will obviously depend on advice from the Capitol Hill veteran Pence.

But in the case of Hillary Clinton, the dislike centers on issues of corruption, lying, and her unattractive personal presentation on television.  Did Tim Kaine do anything to leaven these concerns?

It was obvious to even Chris Matthews that something was off about Tim Kaine during the vice presidential debate.  Matthews thought him “desperate,” while John Podhoretz was more pointed: “programmed and testy and hectoring.”

Russ Vaughn’s characterization of Kaine as “a typical know-it-all, smug, smarmy liberal” was probably shared by most conservatives and not a few independents.

I think on balance, Pence came across as steady, nice, and well informed.  Exactly what Trump needs for balance.

Kaine came across in a way that highlights, not balances, Hillary’s defects.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Kaine’s bad performance matters more than you think
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:33:22 pm »
Lifson is a Trumpkin.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:44:54 pm »
It matters because this guy would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency, and with Hillary's health issues,  it becomes even more significant than usual.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:45:18 pm by dfwgator »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46:44 pm »
I cannot find an instance where the second banana in a Presidential race mattered a hill of beans. It is about the top of the ticket and that is all. After the upcoming Donny/Hitlary debate, no one will remember nor care what happened last night.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:26 pm »
Lifson is a Trumpkin.

Yeah, but he's right about Kaine.  He's also right that it won't matter in the end.  No matter how much the trumpkin's are hoping that it will.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »
In all seriousness, a smart play for Trump would be to point out that because many Establishment Republicans don't like him either, the American people should rest assured that if does something they think is nutty, the Establishments of both parties would toss him out on his butt in a heartbeat.  He's going to be the most accountable, most watched President in history.

In contrast, the Democratic Establishment already has demonstrated that there is nothing she can do that would lose their support.  Once she's in there, it'll be like herpes and nobody will ever get rid of her regardless of what she does.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:04:05 pm »
I cannot find an instance where the second banana in a Presidential race mattered a hill of beans. It is about the top of the ticket and that is all. After the upcoming Donny/Hitlary debate, no one will remember nor care what happened last night.

Yup. :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: