Author Topic: Crime: They met on a dating site and went bowling. It was a setup, police say, and now he’s dead.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpted:
They met on a dating site and went bowling. It was a setup, police say, and now he’s dead.
Bustos sent the single father a text afterward: She’d had a good time, she wrote to Hilarie, and wanted to meet up the following night at his place.

The next night, her real intentions became clear, police told The Washington Post.

Bustos, 18, brought three men with her to Hilarie’s place, including two career criminals on probation for violent felonies. At least one of the men, police said, had a gun.

When Hilarie, 27, responded to the knock on the door, the men overpowered him and dashed inside, police said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/08/24/they-met-on-a-dating-site-and-went-bowling-it-was-a-setup-police-say-and-now-hes-dead/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na

Awful, another internet horror case, these kinds of things have happened with Craig's List though I am sure, one can point to thousands of incidences where nothing malcious happens.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Excerpted:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/08/24/they-met-on-a-dating-site-and-went-bowling-it-was-a-setup-police-say-and-now-hes-dead/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na

Awful, another internet horror case, these kinds of things have happened with Craig's List though I am sure, one can point to thousands of incidences where nothing malcious happens.

Someone needs to market a "home test kit for psychopaths". Psychopathic people may appear overtly to be perfectly normal, but there are subtle telltale signs that one can look for to gain clues to their genuine intentions. Body language and things they may do or not do, say, or not say in response to normal questions.

Maybe an kit could include a coupon to a mutual polygraph test with a reputable third-party where they are both asked questions like, "Have you discussed with others or thought about using this relationship to rob, steal from or otherwise victimize your date?"  or "Is there any other reason that you are pursuing this relationship other than because you are attracted to and want to better know this person?" or "Have you had contact with or associated with someone who has committed a violent crime in the last 30 days?"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:36:42 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline raml

I was on the dating scene for about 11 yrs after my divorce. No man came to my home nor did I go to theirs till I really got to know them. I drove to my dates and went home alone. I had no problems ever during that time I even got 19 proposals of marriage from men without any sex happening and I also got 4 where I had a long term relationship with and all the men were great. I just decided I didn't want to ever marry again. I just couldn't learn to trust after my 22 yr marriage turned violent and mentally abusive. I guess you could say I was to scared to say I do again. It would be good in this day and age if everyone tried to be the way I handled dates maybe this wouldn't have been able to happen.

Offline Frank Cannon

Just goes to show you that the safest way to find a date is to pick up a random broad up at the bar and if you need privacy find a dark alley or a dumpster behind the Safe Way.

Sometimes the traditional methods are still the best methods.

Offline mrclose

Met my BH in a chat room.
After chatting for a few days, I gave her my phone number.
She called and we had endless conversations for a few weeks.
I gave her my work number and let her talk to my supervisor and co-workers.
Gave her my uncles phone number where she could talk to my mom and other family members.

After a year of this I paid a visit to her home in Virginia, I was in Tennessee.

That was 15 years ago ... we are still together today!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Florida has the death penalty right?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
My experience with online dating:

"Sorry, I don't date outside with my home city"

Judging by this case, I'm one of the lucky ones!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:00:48 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Just the fact that she was 18 should have been a red flag. 18 y/o girls are more than out there enough that they shouldn't need online dating. And I personally at 27 wouldn't have given an 18 y/o a second thought. She'd have to be pretty amazing and it would take a long time to get my attention.

That said the guy didn't deserve what he got. I hope they fire up Old Sparky for this one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Just the fact that she was 18 should have been a red flag. 18 y/o girls are more than out there enough that they shouldn't need online dating. And I personally at 27 wouldn't have given an 18 y/o a second thought. She'd have to be pretty amazing and it would take a long time to get my attention.

That said the guy didn't deserve what he got. I hope they fire up Old Sparky for this one.

Agree on all counts, sieur! If we were truly civilized, we'd restore both monomachy and execution by torture for some crimes. It is not appropriate that the only people who suffer death by torture in our age are innocents at the hands of criminals. That situation should rightly be reversed 180 degrees. 
The reintroduction of monomachy (dueling) would possibly do much to help restore the tradition of politeness in public discourse.

Confronting the possibility of a penalty of execution by excruciation would likely cause even the most hardened terrorist or miscreant to reconsider their course of action in regard to committing qualifying acts.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:43:48 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)