Author Topic: New 'Timeless' Time-Travel TV Series  (Read 546 times)

Offline Bender2

• Never a dull moment, eh?
New 'Timeless' Time-Travel TV Series
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:23:18 am »
From:  http://tvline.com/2016/10/03/timeless-recap-series-premiere-pilot-nbc/

Timeless Premiere: Will Your Future Self Tune in for More of the NBC Drama?

By Vlada Gelman / October 3 2016, 8:00 PM PDT

Monday night’s premiere of Timeless, the time-hopping NBC drama from creators Eric Kripke (Supernatural) and Shawn Ryan (The Shield), was grand and clearly expensive. (How about that Hindenburg?) But was it enough to make you want to revisit the past again?

Grade the Timeless premiere via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

And the recap at http://www.ew.com/recap/timeless-series-premiere

I voted 'Very Good' and enjoyed the premiere even with several objections.

The main one is I guess in this Politically Correct environment you just have to have diversity and one of your leads must to be Black even if it going to cause problems in the unfolding plot as shown in the following line of dialogue from the premiere:

“I am black,” offers Rufus, "There is literally no place in American history that’ll be awesome for me.”

A guilty pleasure here is seeing that the geek Rufus is played by "Better Off Ted" alum Malcolm Barrett. "Better Off Ted" was way too good a comedy to be cut off way way too soon by ABC's but all y'all BOT fans join me in shouting, "LEM!!!"

Next from EW Recap:

The rules are pretty simple: Our time travelers aren’t allowed to go back into their own timeline, and they aren’t allowed to go back to points in time where they’ve already been. (Wyatt, of course, asks the sensible question: Why can’t they just go back to earlier that day and stop this whole thing from happening?) If they did, it would cause major problems. Rufus says one pilot tried it, and when he came back to the present, he wasn’t all there. Literally, he wasn’t all there: Parts of him were missing. Ew.

Okay, why not send another team that would cancel this plot point?

Short Hollywood answer, you'd have to hire too many new cast members--

Those two major objections aside, the premiere episode was very well done with no major historical gaffs I caught.  The explanation of what actually caused the Hindenburg explosion is as good as any I've heard yet the list of future passengers on the Hindenburg return journey (John D. Rockefeller & Omar Bradly among others) is a little far out as John D. was too rich to not take a 1st class passage on an ocean liner and Omar Bradly was at the time a minor Lieutenant Colonel working in the War Department.

The combination of CGI and live action was excellent and in the overnight ratings it got 1.9 in the oh so important 18-49 demo, so-so as far as it goes--

Over all I enjoyed the premiere and have a feeling it is good enough for me to want to see more. Yet I get the same bad feeling I had when 'Firefly' premiered that it was too good to last--

Okay, y'all let her rip.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:43:40 am by Bender2 »
"I've got a twisted sense of humor, and everything amuses me." RAH Beyond this Horizon