Author Topic: Gambia refuses to accept 2,000 people the U.S. trying to deport  (Read 616 times)

rangerrebew

Gambia refuses to accept 2,000 people the U.S. trying to deport

The tiny West African nation of The Gambia has refused to take back nearly 2,000 deportees from the U.S., which led to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson refusing to grant some Gambians visas to visit the U.S. (Associated Press) more >

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Gambia has refused to accept nearly 2,000 people the U.S. is trying to deport, forcing the Obama administration to pull the trigger and refuse to grant visas to some Gambians hoping to visit the U.S., the State Department said this weekend.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson took the decisive move after years of prodding by lawmakers on Capitol Hill, signing a letter triggering the law that requires a halt in visas to countries that are refusing to accept their own citizens. Under the law, the State Department had no choice but to comply.

“As of October 1, 2016, the U.S. Embassy in Banjul, The Gambia has discontinued visa issuance to employees of the Gambian government, employees of certain entities associated with the government, and their spouses and children, with limited exceptions,” a State Department official said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...the-us-trying/

rangerrebew

Re: Gambia refuses to accept 2,000 people the U.S. trying to deport
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:13:59 am »
I have to wonder if the administration tells these countries to refuse their citizens so they can stay in America?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Gambia refuses to accept 2,000 people the U.S. trying to deport
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »
I have to wonder if the administration tells these countries to refuse their citizens so they can stay in America?

I have a new usage for Guantanamo since Obama is shutting down the prison there - a home for those 'refugees'.  Since it is not US soil, they are no longer our responsibility - and they are free to roam their new island home.  After being shown the hospitality of Raul and Fidel, they will go back to their home countries.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington