Author Topic: Upstate NY congressman wants death penalty for heroin dealers in fatal overdoses  (Read 804 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Upstate NY congressman wants death penalty for heroin dealers in fatal overdoses

An Upstate New York Congressman has introduced a new bill that would add life in prison or death as possible penalties for drug dealers who sell heroin connected to fatal overdoses.

Rep. Tom Reed (R-NY 23rd District) introduced the HELP Act this week, WIVB-TV reported. The acronym stands for "Help Ensure Lives are Protected."

"We care about the families of every overdose victim in our community and the addicts that are struggling," Reed told the station. "We've held several roundtable discussions and heard directly from the parents who have lost children to opioids and heroin. It's only right that we hold those responsible for harming our loved ones accountable."

Read More At: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/2016/09/upstate_ny_congressman_wants_death_penalty_for_heroin_dealers.html

I first saw this at the Huffington Post, it's an interesting concept and I looked for another source because, it looked like HuffPo did not like this idea.  I'd almost think that anyone selling heroin that kills someone should or could already be charged with murder.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:53:32 am by TomSea »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
First off, Reed represents my district, and over the past year or so there's been a huge spike in these cases here. The general opinion around here is that these antidotes like naloxone are causing people to be more reckless.

I might note here that New York does not have the death penalty, because our court system decided it was unconstitutional back in the 1990s. The bill would only allow for life in prison or the death penalty, not impose the punishment directly, as this is still a state issue unless the deal crosses state lines.

There is a landmark case going through our county court right now—I can't remember the exact charge, but three drug dealers who sold a fatal dose of heroin/fentanyl are being charged with either murder or manslaughter for the sale.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

First off, Reed represents my district, and over the past year or so there's been a huge spike in these cases here. The general opinion around here is that these antidotes like naloxone are causing people to be more reckless.

I don't imagine that's the sentiment in the eastern part of the district -- People's Republic of Ithaca.-- right?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have mixed feelings about this. It sounds good at first blush,but the reality is the junkies themselves are the ones responsible for them overdosing because avoiding a heroin overdose is one of the easiest things to do. All you have to do is not use heroin.

Would you want to arrest the CEO of GM if a GM customer ran his car of pu into a big tree at 100 MPH?

Another viewpoint is they are providing a public service by voluntarily deepening the gene pool.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

There is a landmark case going through our county court right now—I can't remember the exact charge, but three drug dealers who sold a fatal dose of heroin/fentanyl are being charged with either murder or manslaughter for the sale.

@jmyrlefuller

I could maybe see manslaughter in some cases,but I don't see a chance in hell of any murder convictions coming down the pike unless the dealer personally injected the dead person with heroin he knew to be deadly. You MUST prove intent to win a murder conviction.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!