Author Topic: I’ll save you from Trump and Clinton: Evan McMullin  (Read 5901 times)

Offline corbe

Re: I’ll save you from Trump and Clinton: Evan McMullin
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 12:04:35 am »
But the Constitution Party has been around since the 1992. You'd think 24 years would be enough to get something going.  The fact that they really haven't suggests that they either can't or really aren't all that interested.

@Doug Loss

I really hate to sound like the Trumpsters here, putting faith in infallible Humans, but, a few Solid Conservatives like Lee and Cruz w/financial backing could hopefully make it a mighty big car to put our butts in.

Fred Eaglesmith - Mighty BIG Car (smaller than Canon's Lincoln)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mighty+big+car&&view=detail&mid=BE14F4D3EF381B8D714ABE14F4D3EF381B8D714A&FORM=VRDGAR

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:54 am »
But the Constitution Party has been around since the 1992. You'd think 24 years would be enough to get something going.  The fact that they really haven't suggests that they either can't or really aren't all that interested.

It's 2016, and finally getting a halfway decent website was good...though it would be great at the states, too.

I think the big problem is how they'd morphed and moved into theocratic views.  They kinda excluded us paleolibertarians who might otherwise have been kindred spirits with their paleoconservatism.  I'm glad they've toned down the theocracy.  But still, not enough energy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 01:11:09 am »
   Sure glad Lincoln and others didn't share yall's thoughts back in the 1850's.

Look how easy it was for someone like 'trump' to completely destroy what was left of Lincoln's party.

The Constitution Party seems like a stable vehicle for US to move forward.   Yes,  Internet savvy and money is severely lacking right now (forget the candidate).

Sen Cruz and Lee, pick up the white courtesy phone, please.
Cruz has already sold out to Trump. Which is pathetic—in the extremely sad kind of way. Being a member of a political party apparently requires the sale of one's soul.

I agree with you about the need for a new vessel, but I simply do not see the Constitution Party as it currently is formulated as a viable one.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2016, 05:59:33 am »
Cruz has already sold out to Trump. Which is pathetic—in the extremely sad kind of way. Being a member of a political party apparently requires the sale of one's soul.

I agree with you about the need for a new vessel, but I simply do not see the Constitution Party as it currently is formulated as a viable one.

I think third party voting will be higher than ever showing a weakness in the two party election.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Wingnut

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2016, 12:58:43 pm »
I think third party voting will be higher than ever showing a weakness in the two party election.

I hope you are correct.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

Who cares? Third party votes will split among Johnson, Stein, Castle and all the bozo clowns running $50 campaigns. It will have almost no effect and the most viable candidate (Johnson) won't break 10%. Ross Perot will have done better.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 01:15:10 pm »
   Sure glad Lincoln and others didn't share yall's thoughts back in the 1850's.

It's not the 1850's.

Back then, candidates were selected by party bosses or state legislatures because there were no actual primaries.  You could not make a direct appeal to voters, and those party bosses clearly wanted to maintain their own power. Therefore, the only practical way to change the direction of a party was to start a new one.  The lack of a primary system is why parties rose and fell in the 19th century.

But with the advent of primary system, the feasibility of third parties diminished because internal "takeovers" became possible.  The direction of a party could be changed significantly just by a candidate appealing to voters directly.  Since it was no longer necessary for a new movement to have a new party, voters and candidates simply try to win the battle for the party at the primary level.  And if they don't, they generally conclude (rightly) that an independent effort would be even less successful.  You'd have the same or even less (because some voters would stick with the party) support, and no organization to mount a national party.

Had Reagan run as a third party candidate in 1980, he and Bush would likely have split the GOP vote, and we'd have gotten a second term of Jimmy Carter.  So if you want a conservative takeover, just take over the party.  The only thing you really need is voter support, and if you can't get that...your third party effort would fail anyway.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »

I must say, when I see your name on the board I always stop and take the time to read. Good post, your point was well made. I salute you... ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »

What am I thinking? You're probably used to that... :silly: