Author Topic: Ala. Chief Justice Roy Moore Suspended For Rest Of Term Over Gay Marriage Stance  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Vulcan

Saying that Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore violated judicial ethics when he ordered judges not to respect the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark ruling on same-sex marriage, Alabama's Court of the Judiciary suspended Moore for the rest of his term in office.

The order also requires the head of Alabama's highest court to pay the costs of the proceedings against him and stipulates that he will not be paid for the remainder of his six-year term.

Alabama's next election for the chief justice post is scheduled for 2018.

"After his term though, Moore's age will disqualify him from running for judge," notes Alabama Public Radio, which adds that Moore could file an appeal to send his case to the state's supreme court.

The judgment against Moore was unanimous.

more here

Offline sinkspur

What can be said?  Moore has flaunted federal law over the 10 Commandments being posted in the Courthouse and got suspended over it.

Good riddance.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

RAT Patrol

Daniel Horowitz
‏@RMConservative

My response to the sacking of Judge Moore http://pllqt.it/fEdDAA

RAT Patrol

Previous Tweet
Next Tweet
Daniel Horowitz
‏@RMConservative

All the more reason to take back the power from the federal judiciary

We are confronted with a jarring reality that the Left has succeeded in growing the power of the courts. Obama has replaced roughly 30 percent of the district and appellate judges on the federal benches. We are now facing a judicial time bomb, the likes of which we've never seen before. With the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling the courts have usurped the will of the people and set a precedent that has become a de facto law of the land. In Stolen Sovereignty Horowitz reveals just how disenfranchised voters have become. On issue after issue we are witnessing a transformation of our society before our very eyes, all without the ability to stop it through the political process. We are becoming a government not of the people, by the people, for the people, but of the elites by the justices and for the few. First the courts went after your income. Then they went after the right to abortion. Then the right for men to marry men

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Too bad, he was one of the good ones.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

RAT Patrol

Daniel Horowitz
‏@RMConservative

Daniel Horowitz Retweeted The Associated Press

This is an utter disgrace. https://twitter.com/AP/status/781883062296739840 … states deserve their federal slave masters

Offline Suppressed

Daniel Horowitz
‏@RMConservative

Judge Moore is elected, Justice Kennedy is not. Yet, Kennedy can redefine civilization, but Moore gets removed by unelected body

Those who seated the SCOTUS were elected.  The American People have indicated their will -- state slavery to the Federal government.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sinkspur

This is the Alabama Supreme Court.  Alabama. 

During the 10 Commandments kerfuffle,  Moore insisted that a Federal Appeals Court had no right to order him to removed the granite slab that contained the Decalogue.

The case was kicked up to the Supreme Court and a UNANIMOUS vote (including Scalia) overruled Moore.

This time, the associate justices decided to spare themselves the embarrassment.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

RAT Patrol

Too bad, he was one of the good ones.

I guess few republicans believe in federalism any longer.  The people of Alabama have spoken on this issue over and over again.  They have also spoken on the issue of Roy Moore since they voted for him again after the last ridiculous removal.  The current courts are basically ruling the Framers of the Constitution unfit and unconstitutional.

I would not be surprised to see the citizens of Alabama fight back again by raising the age limit on that position and then reinstating Roy Moore.

The liberals and gutless republicans want to paint Roy Moore as crazy when he holds to the timeless and self-evident truths passed down through the ages and they hold the radical, manufactured position that is anti-science, anti-evidence, anti-God and anti-morality.  They stand on "because we say so" just like the Dred-Scott decision.   

Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." -- President George Washington, 1753

Patrick Henry, "Power is the great evil with which we are contending. We have divided power between three branches of government and erected checks and balances to prevent abuse of power. However, where is the check on the power of the judiciary? If we fail to check the power of the judiciary, I predict that we will eventually live under judicial tyranny."

"The judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our confederated fabric. They are construing our constitution from a co-ordination of a general and special government to a general and supreme one alone." --Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution on which our Union rests, shall be administered by me [as President] according to the safe and honest meaning contemplated by the plain understanding of the people of the United States at the time of its adoption -- a meaning to be found in the explanations of those who advocated, not those who opposed it, and who opposed it merely lest the construction should be applied which they denounced as possible." --Thomas Jefferson

RAT Patrol

"The Constitution, on this hypothesis, is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please. It should be remembered, as an axiom of eternal truth in politics, that whatever power in any government is independent, is absolute also; in theory only, at first, while the spirit of the people is up, but in practice, as fast as that relaxes. Independence can be trusted nowhere but with the people in mass. They are inherently independent of all but moral law." -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Judge Spencer Roane, 1819.

Justice Scalia: I think, I didn’t say that if there is to be an evolution of standards under the Eighth Amendment, it’s up to the legislature. No, the legislature can’t change the Eighth Amendment. I’m saying the Eighth Amendment means what was cruel and unusual and unconstitutional in 1791 remains that today. The death penalty wasn’t, and hence it isn’t, despite the fact that I sat with three colleagues that thought it had become unconstitutional. Executing someone under eighteen was not unconstitutional in 1791, so it is not unconstitutional today. Now, it may be very stupid. It may be a very bad idea, just as notching ears, which was a punishment in 1791, is a very bad idea. But the people can change, the people can eliminate those stupidities if and when they want. To evolve, you don’t need a constitution. All you need is a legislature a ballot box. Things will evolve as much as you want. They can create a right to abortion. They can abolish the death penalty. They can legitimize homosexual sodomy. All of these things, all of these changes can come about democratically. You don’t need a constitution to do that. And it’s not the function of a constitution to do that.

Justice Scalia: Oh, substantive due process does. I thought I made it clear I don’t believe in substantive due process. The basis of Lawrence, of the Lawrence opinion was that the government has no business making moral decisions regarding sex. I predict that that rational will not survive. Because there are just a whole bunch of laws from the very beginning of the world, that every society I know of has enforced. You can start with bigamy. This is simply a moral disapprobation of sexual activity deeply felt by the society. And it has never been unconstitutional for the society, for the majority, to impose that judgment. Now maybe it should be, but don’t tell me that that’s what the American Constitution has required. It might be a good idea. Persuade your fellow citizens that government should make no moral judgments. It’s simply not our history.

RAT Patrol

Alabama 2006 Marriage Amendment voting results:

Alabama Sanctity of Marriage Amendment
Yes or no    Votes    Percentage
Yes check.svg Yes    697,591    81%
No    161,694    19%
Total votes    859,285    100% precincts

RAT Patrol

The Amendment 774 of 2006, also known as Alabama Sanctity of Marriage Amendment, is an amendment to the Alabama Constitution that makes it unconstitutional for the state to recognize or perform same-sex marriages or civil unions. The referendum was approved by 81% of the voters.

The text of the amendment states:

(a) This amendment shall be known and may be cited as the Sanctity of Marriage Amendment.

(b) Marriage is inherently a unique relationship between a man and a woman. As a matter of public policy, this state has a special interest in encouraging, supporting, and protecting this unique relationship in order to promote, among other goals, the stability and welfare of society and its children. A marriage contracted between individuals of the same sex is invalid in this state.

(c) Marriage is a sacred covenant, solemnized between a man and a woman, which, when the legal capacity and consent of both parties is present, establishes their relationship as husband and wife, and which is recognized by the state as a civil contract.

(d) No marriage license shall be issued in the State of Alabama to parties of the same sex.

(e) The State of Alabama shall not recognize as valid any marriage of parties of the same sex that occurred or was alleged to have occurred as a result of the law of any jurisdiction regardless of whether a marriage license was issued.

(f) The State of Alabama shall not recognize as valid any common law marriage of parties of the same sex.

(g) A union replicating marriage of or between persons of the same sex in the State of Alabama or in any other jurisdiction shall be considered and treated in all respects as having no legal force or effect in this state and shall not be recognized by this state as a marriage or other union replicating marriage.

HonestJohn

Daniel Horowitz
‏@RMConservative

Judge Moore is elected, Justice Kennedy is not. Yet, Kennedy can redefine civilization, but Moore gets removed by unelected body

In other words, Daniel, you are saying that you hold the Constitution in contempt.  After all, just what document governs the judical selection process at the Supreme court?

---

It really sounds like he wants to ignore the Constitution and use the populist, liberal method of popular selection.  Just like progressives and how the got the direct election of Senators.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Those who seated the SCOTUS were elected.  The American People have indicated their will -- state slavery to the Federal government.
Those justices, once seated are bound only by their oath of office and the minute threat of being impeached. Roberts' Obamacare ruling is a case in point.

It is also amazing how many of those who seated those justices lied about the things they'd do when elected, too. That they were elected has little bearing on them doing the will of the people who voted for them. Just look at Congress now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis