Author Topic: Donald Trump is threatening to raise an issue that made Hillary Clinton very popular 20 years ago  (Read 728 times)

HonestJohn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/29/donald-trump-is-threatening-to-raise-an-issue-that-made-hillary-clinton-very-popular-20-years-ago/

By Philip Bump
September 29 at 11:55 AM

It seems to be taken as something of an article of faith among supporters of Donald Trump and by Trump himself that the reintroduction of the Monica Lewinsky scandal would be detrimental to Hillary Clinton's candidacy. It's been nearly 20 years since the story of Bill Clinton's indiscretions first emerged, and it's not immediately clear what the effect of focusing on the subject might be. But when the story broke, the effect on Hillary Clinton was a quick spike in her favorability rating, particularly among men.

Matt Drudge had the first story about the Lewinsky affair in mid-January 1998. The Washington Post had polled on Hillary Clinton's favorability the previous March and then several times in the wake of the revelation. Among all Americans, Clinton went from 42 percent viewing her positively to 52 immediately after and 60 percent by the end of January. By the end of the year, her favorability was at 64 percent.

The pattern of approval for Clinton over time was that women viewed her more positively than men, and that Democrats viewed her more positively than independents, who viewed her more positively than Republicans. After the Lewinsky story came out, Clinton's approval ratings jumped across the board. By November 1998, her approval had gone up about 10 to 15 points with Democrats, independent women and Republican women. Among Republican and independent men, it increased by at least 25 points. Men generally were about as likely to view Clinton positively as women had been.

More broadly, Clinton was seen as sympathetic. In February 1998, CNN and Gallup asked Americans whether they admired Clinton for how she'd handled the Lewinsky affair; 72 percent said they did. In August, Fox News asked whether people thought Clinton was a strong woman for sticking with Bill Clinton or if she was being foolish. Nearly 6-in-10 said she was a strong woman. (That same month, Trump appeared on Fox News to defend Bill Clinton, arguing that Clinton was being hounded by "truly an unattractive cast of characters.")

Hillary Clinton's favorability sank in 1999, perhaps because her office announced that she was planning on exploring a run for Senate the following year. A pattern we've seen over time is that Clinton's favorability is tied to her involvement in electoral politics. As secretary of state and as first lady, she was isolated from the sort of criticism she faced as a candidate for Senate and the presidency.

That's one reason that it's hard to extrapolate from what we saw with Clinton's favorability in 1998 to the present. It's fraught for Trump to attack Bill Clinton's infidelities, given his own. Arguments that Clinton defended her husband against his accusers two decades ago are a little more complicated.

Last weekend Trump made an explicit reference to the controversy, declaring on Twitter that he might invite Gennifer Flowers, with whom Clinton had an affair, to the first debate. The response to that suggestion — condemnation followed by the campaign's announcement that no invitation was ensuing — suggests that the toe dipped into this particular pool found the temperature a bit uncomfortable.

Trump desperately needs to bring white college-educated women back to his campaign. They supported Mitt Romney in 2012 but have rejected Trump this year. It seems unlikely that the strategy of digging up the Clinton affairs will resonate with that group. (Consider that by November 1998, nearly half of Republican women viewed Clinton favorably, an unthinkable occurrence now.)

What's driving this is probably at least in part a sense from Trump that he can throw Clinton off her game, or, potentially, cause her personal discomfort. Trump's team is replete with longtime anti-Clinton agitators, including Roger Stone, Steve Bannon and David Bossie. It may simply be an untested belief among this group that the 1990s scandal will be politically crippling.

If the reaction is anything like what she saw 20 years ago, though, Clinton might just welcome it.

Offline libertybele

Obviously he's firing back at her for the 'Miss Piggy' focus.  Keeping in mind that this happened over 20 years ago might be to his advantage with the younger female voters who may not be familiar with all of Billy's indiscretions. Twenty years ago perhaps women were sympathetic towards her. Today she may be seen as pathetic as he has been accused of multiple incidents of sexual misconduct; Juanita Broaddrick has accused Clinton of rape; Kathleen Willey has accused Clinton of groping her without consent; and Paula Jones accused Clinton of sexually harassing her as well as adulterous affairs; Dolly Kyle, Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky.  Somehow, I don't think the 'stand by your man' attitude is going to cut it. Perhaps there are more indiscretions that Trumps knows about that haven't been made public.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

Trump falsely blames hellary for Venezuelagate, He is about to extract revenge, except this isn't the GOP primary no more and she isn't 'low energy' Jeb.

Open mouth insert foot.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

geronl

He didn't go after her on Benghazi during the debate and soft-peddled the email thing too much. Then he says he will absolutely support her if she wins, he NEVER said he would support any other GOPer if they win during the primary I think

Offline sinkspur

Obviously he's firing back at her for the 'Miss Piggy' focus.  Keeping in mind that this happened over 20 years ago might be to his advantage with the younger female voters who may not be familiar with all of Billy's indiscretions. Twenty years ago perhaps women were sympathetic towards her. Today she may be seen as pathetic as he has been accused of multiple incidents of sexual misconduct; Juanita Broaddrick has accused Clinton of rape; Kathleen Willey has accused Clinton of groping her without consent; and Paula Jones accused Clinton of sexually harassing her as well as adulterous affairs; Dolly Kyle, Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky.  Somehow, I don't think the 'stand by your man' attitude is going to cut it. Perhaps there are more indiscretions that Trumps knows about that haven't been made public.

This reeks of desperation.  And everybody will see it as such, especially given Trump's own sordid past with women.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline LMAO

Despite people like Sean Hannity's and some other Trump supporters attempt to shift responsibility and blame on others should Trump lose, it appears Trump is sabotaging  his own campaign. It's his ego and over sensitivity to any slight against him that is causing him to chase every shiny object Team Clinton rolls past him
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Suppressed

You left off Eileen Wellstone.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I repeat a question I've asked often..

Imagine if your goal was to destroy the Republican party and help Hillary.  What would you do differently than what Trump is doing now?